Aldi has>??

Food topics, including recipes.

Aldi has>??

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 9:23 am

Freeze dried sachets of strawberries and mixed bluegerries/raspberries for $4- in the next sale.
My recollection for the last time they had these is that the shelf life was at least a year but I may be wrong on that. I found them OK last time. A bit of an extravagance but also a nice change from dates and sultanas for desert
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Aldi has>??

Postby north-north-west » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 10:10 am

... still not agreed to set up in Tasmania and it's pissing me off mightily.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 7:28 pm

Want me to send you some in the mail???
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 6:05 am

No, thanks, it's OK. It's less about these specific items than the overall lack.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Biggles » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 11:19 am

ALDI is pretty slow to pick up on what people need and want, rather what they think "could be" popular, like freeze-dried food — oh really? After all these years...

Meanwhile, freeze-dried strawberries, blueberries, apricots...others still coming and going, have been available from Backpacking Light in Little Bourke Street for around 3-4 years (made by Forager Fruits), $3.95 a pack, and so very, very light that you'd need to carry 5-6 packs to notice any bump-up in weight! Delicious to me as nibbles with gin, but can be described as "very strong and sugary" (for the strawberries). Brekky time, I crush them up and sprinkle them on NutriGrain — with milk added, this dials down the sugary hit a fair bit and makes the whole dish very deeply satisfying. Great dipped in melted Toberone too!! :o

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/pro ... cbb1&_ss=r
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 12:59 pm

The freeze dried stuff is only for the 'special' and will not be permanent. Buy it while it is there. Could be back next year if it sells well. If it does not sell well then we wont see it again.

I think of Aldi this way : They charge 'x' for a space on the permanent shelf space. If an item sells at a rate that the shelf space cost adds 'too much' to the items price then they stop selling it.

The used to stock a 'key lime tart' that was yummy. Bit pricey bit I'd buy it occasionally as a treat. Gone from my local store now.

Their German dark chocolate used to be packaged and delivered with their German white chocolate. The dark chocolate would always run out and you'd want to came back after a new delivery to get some. Getting white chocolate was no problem as the self had very little empty space being mostly white chocolate. So they separated the two with equal shelf space for both. Today the dark chocolate is 4 times the shelf space and I have no trouble getting it. But it took some years to get to this stage. There is another product that is in the same situation today as dark chocolate was all those years ago.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 01 Jan, 2024 3:57 pm

I purchased a few, 3 strawberry and 2 mixed berry
Price is the same but the ALDI packs have an extra 10 grams.
But I visit the store every month as that's where we buy our coffee beans from
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Jan, 2024 6:00 pm

Moondog55 wrote:But I visit the store every month as that's where we buy our coffee beans from

Those $12 beans are really good. Much better flavour than the Woolies equivalent.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby farefam » Sun 07 Jan, 2024 10:22 pm

Due to the "cost of living crisis" I have started looking in Aldi more often these days, but I can't say that I have found much that is useful for bush tucker. Someone mentioned dark chocolate in this thread, so I'd just note that the Coles brand Belgian Dark chocolate tastes quite nice and is cheap at an everyday price of under $3. One thing Aldi is good for is potato chips and corn chips. At least you get a decent, good tasting 220g weight pack of these, rather than the very overpriced 170g bags of air that are at Coles and IGA and Woolies.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 7:36 pm

A few things I get from Aldi: ground coffee organic Peru or Honduras 500g at $5/kg, vintage cheddar (all shops, it comes from the UK), midstrength beer in a neat 12pk $15, corn chips, coconut macaroons gf, pesto, wholemeal Lebanese breads, butterfly lamb for a barbie, shelf stable gnocchi and a red pesto used to be a go-to.

Some of that makes it to a bushwalk, definitely at home and travel/car camping :)

Freeze dried fruit us a novelty or a sweet hit, no other nutrients. Check out IGA as I've often seen it there.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vagrom » Tue 23 Jan, 2024 11:27 pm

Here's a fuel saver from Aldi. You could grate a bit of garlic into it and add a little olive oil. $1.79 per pack.
Attachments
20240123_135738.jpg
20240123_135738.jpg (194.59 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
20240123_224218.jpg
20240123_224218.jpg (169.29 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby adventuremum » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 8:57 pm

Biggles wrote:ALDI is pretty slow to pick up on what people need and want, rather what they think "could be" popular, like freeze-dried food — oh really? After all these years...

Meanwhile, freeze-dried strawberries, blueberries, apricots...others still coming and going, have been available from Backpacking Light in Little Bourke Street for around 3-4 years (made by Forager Fruits), $3.95 a pack, and so very, very light that you'd need to carry 5-6 packs to notice any bump-up in weight! Delicious to me as nibbles with gin, but can be described as "very strong and sugary" (for the strawberries). Brekky time, I crush them up and sprinkle them on NutriGrain — with milk added, this dials down the sugary hit a fair bit and makes the whole dish very deeply satisfying. Great dipped in melted Toberone too!! :o

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/pro ... cbb1&_ss=r

Forager fruits are 15g bags. Other option is Totally Pure Fruits (Redhill) who sell ‘wholesale’. Last time we purchased box of 12 25g packets, they were $26 for apple & pear (both organic) =$2.17 each. Strawberries (conventional) were $39 for 12=$3.25 each. Bananas (organic) 50g packets also $39=$3.25 each
adventuremum
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker