Ways to carry food on extended trips

Food topics, including recipes.

Ways to carry food on extended trips

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 9:40 am

On extended trips I pack food into bags of two days, allowing me to see what has to be eaten. If I eat too much or too little on the first day this is balanced by the second day. This applies to bags where I can take varying amounts, such as muesli, milk, dried fruit and scroggin. Whole meals in a packet are eaten in one go.

How do people pack food for extended trips?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Ways to carry food on extended trips

Postby Scrambler » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 12:46 pm

For longer walks, daily packs of individual food plus single day quantities of group food. So morning cereal in a bag with required powdered milk: add water and eat from bag. Daily scroggin allowance in a bag. Group lunch (wraps and topping) in original packages, divide when served. Evening meals in cooking quantities (rice, veg, flavour, protein/oil). I'm not a freeze-dried meal person so each meal has ingredients worked out before and packed to go in daily quantities. Same deal if catering for one but would eat the wraps over a few days.

Everything I carry goes in a light dry bag so it can be hung: I've lost too much food to rats over the years. A length of light line for hanging, fishing line if I'm feeling ultralight.

Scroggin and water in chest carry situations: I've always admired Aarn packs but use ex-army ammo pouches as the cheap alternative.
Scrambler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 5:50 pm

I can 't be bothered sorting out daily servings up front. I just bung it all in. I know what I need per day and as long as there's enough to cover the time I'm out plus two days' extra food, that'll do,
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 8:40 pm

I tend to sort my food into daily bags.
Then put them all into a dry bag like Scrambler.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby headwerkn » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 10:10 am

I'm trying to cut down on all the zip loc bags these days, but I'll divvy up certain things like dried fruit across a couple of bags to aid in packing. I generally eat much the same thing each day, so rationing isn't difficult.
Freeze-dried meals get bagged individually as that's how they get rehydrated.
Food for the day gets decanted into a small DCF drawstring bag for convenience, the rest lives in a DCF pod for packing and a bit of waterproofing.

For long trips that may spill into a second dry bag. Though lately for extended in-out trips, I'll do a food drop in the way in, squeezing 3-4 days of food into a screw top plastic container and hanging it in a dry bag. Saving the weight and bulk is always a good thing ;-)
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 12:53 pm

I'll have 4 large ziplocks for anything longer than a couple of days. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Garbage, all labelled with texta. All bags get used again except the garbage ziplock, which I bin at the end of the walk.
The reason I separate the meals is to stay organised. After breakfast, I pack the Breakfast and Dinner bags lower in my pack, and have the Lunch and Garbage bags in the outside pouch, or top of my pack for easy access. When I get to camp, I can easily find the Dinner bag and start rehydrating my meal, when setting up.

The other reason I like this method, as opposed to Day1 bag, Day2 bag... approach is I get to choose what I want to eat on the day. Some days I might be looking forward to smoked mussels, other days I'd rather have the cheese and salami.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Warin » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 3:26 pm

crollsurf wrote:The other reason I like this method, as opposed to Day1 bag, Day2 bag... approach is I get to choose what I want to eat on the day. Some days I might be looking forward to smoked mussels, other days I'd rather have the cheese and salami.

+1 .. The other reason I like this method is I can chose to eat the heaviest dinner/breakfast I'm carrying to lighten my load...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GBW » Wed 06 Sep, 2023 5:04 pm

crollsurf wrote:I'll have 4 large ziplocks for anything longer than a couple of days. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Garbage, all labelled with texta. All bags get used again except the garbage ziplock, which I bin at the end of the walk.
The reason I separate the meals is to stay organised. After breakfast, I pack the Breakfast and Dinner bags lower in my pack, and have the Lunch and Garbage bags in the outside pouch, or top of my pack for easy access. When I get to camp, I can easily find the Dinner bag and start rehydrating my meal, when setting up.

The other reason I like this method, as opposed to Day1 bag, Day2 bag... approach is I get to choose what I want to eat on the day. Some days I might be looking forward to smoked mussels, other days I'd rather have the cheese and salami.

Same system for me with the addition of a bag for snacks (fruit, nuts, sweets, chocolate etc).
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 29 Oct, 2023 4:12 pm

This coming ramble I'm packing bulk into a big bag, with a small bag for each days prep [ a lot of presoaking if I take dry beans] and a MOLLE pouch on my hipbelt for snacks.
Like Warin I will probably nosh from the heavier side of my rations first but I can't do anything to make the hardtack any lighter.
The Tararua biscuits are in the oven now, 18 of them, which is 8 to 12 days worth depending on how starving I am
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bush Tucker