My new breakfast standard - Stewed dried fruit and granola

Food topics, including recipes.

My new breakfast standard - Stewed dried fruit and granola

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 11:30 am

While discussing some breakfast ideas with another walking companion, we decided that we should combine two of our ideas and it has become my new favourite bushwalking brekky.

Simmer your preferred mix of dried fruit for a few minutes in enough water to just cover them (while dry). They should aborb all the water. If necessary, add a little more if they are not fully rehydrated. Simmer for a bit longer after they have fully rehydrated in order to stew them (5 or 10 minutes depending on your preference for how stewed you like them, and how much fuel you are willing to carry).

Top with home-made granola, made with your preferred mix of nuts and seeds.

Dried fruit I use are apples (home dried - the commercial ones work OK, but have a weird marshmallow look and texture when rehydrated), pears, peaches, apricots, sultanas. The varieties with larger pieces can be chopped into smaller pieces before packing them.

We make granola with coconut flakes (6 cups), cashews, almonds, pistachios (1 cup each), sunflower seeds, papitas (1/2 cup each), chia (1/4 cup), & butter (1/2 cup). Mix and spread out on trays. Bake for 10 minutes at 120 C. Re-mix/re-spread and bake for another 10 min, and then again a third time. (Total of 1/2 hour cooking, to get it well toasted and crunchy. Some of these nuts and seeds have more flavour when they have been properly toasted).

We don't have much space/shelves in our oven, and for this quantity we need to spread it out on 4 trays. So we do two trays at a time, meaning a total cooking time of 1 hour. If you don't make such a large quantity, you can cook it all at once, in half an hour.

This is a great hot-breakfast alternative to porridge which can get rather boring after a few days. I think I will alternate between this and porridge on longer trips.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: My new breakfast standard - Stewed dried fruit and grano

Postby GregG » Wed 04 Mar, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes, breakfast is always a bit tricky on a multi day walk and what I eat often depends not so much on what I like to eat but more on how much of a hurry my companions are in to get going early. Stewed fruit and granola sounds good, a lot better than my usual quick fix of a packet of instant oats. A few times I have rehydrated dried fruit overnight and that speeds-up the cooking time in the morn8ng.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 11:39 am

great recipe!
I don't eat grains, so this nutty seedy muesli recipe is just the ticket.
I think I will pack it as a dessert. I am ridiculously slack with breakfasts, I always make a coffee but typically eat a protein bar and a peanut butter slug and call it done.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 5:15 pm

Never had a peanut butter slug, they must be endemic to NSW. I'm always up for bush tucker.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby coimon » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 5:52 pm

Heremeahappy1 wrote:Never had a peanut butter slug, they must be endemic to NSW. I'm always up for bush tucker.

Alright, points for the funny :wink:

In case you or others don't know what is being referred to: https://shop.coles.com.au/a/fairfield/p ... lugs-6x30g Love those things.

Also, the fruit and granola idea is great, thanks SoaB. I'll have to test how dried fruit goes cold soaking. I'm a stove carrier most of the time, but I've been looking at lots of ways to optimise fuel use while sitting around waiting for the world to go back to normal...
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 23 Apr, 2020 10:31 pm

Heremeahappy1 wrote:Never had a peanut butter slug, they must be endemic to NSW. I'm always up for bush tucker.

They are easy to hunt and kill, they are quite slow, being slugs and all that PB that they trail slows them down some too :P :lol:

Yep Coiman, that is them. I LOVE them, right amount of salt and cals to keep on trucking.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bush Tucker