Menu for a Recent 3 Day Walk

Food topics, including recipes.

Menu for a Recent 3 Day Walk

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 9:10 am

Last Saturday, Sunday, Monday I did a 3 day walk with a couple of mates where I fully catered and cooked for each meal apart from the first day's lunch, and snacks/scroggin, where each person brought their own.

Here's the menu as I emailed it to them before the trip:
  • Day 1 Dinner: Bengal Chicken Curry & Rice (with experimental chook)
  • Day 2 Brekky: Porridge with fruity bites
  • Day 2 Lunch: Cucumber & Cream cheese mountain sandwiches (and other varieties)
  • Day 2 Dinner: Stir Fry vegetables in Asian sauce with Dahl on the side and a possibilité of fresh trout
  • Day 3 Brekky: Pancakes with sugar and lemon or maple syrup
  • Day 3 Lunch: Cucumber & Cream cheese mountain sandwiches (and other varieties)

The 'experimental chook' was my first ever attempt at dehydrating chicken. It worked reasonably well, but I need to cut it thinner, I think. I couldn't get it thin enough to avoid being a bit chewy, but my wife suggested that if I let it cool before slicing I might be able to slice it thinner.

The Dahl is a fantastic bushwalking meal. It dehydrates to weigh almost nothing, and rehydrates in a bout 1 minute flat! A genuine home made, home dried, just add boiling water meal. However, I tend to use it as a side dish, because although it's very good, it needs to have something else with it.

The stir fry was all fresh vegetables (onion, carrot, broccoli, capsicum, mushrooms, snow peas), except for the baby corn which I'd removed from the can before leaving home, draining, and putting into a zip lock bag.

The cucumber was an idea from somebody else who'd posted it to this forum. A fantastic idea, which I will use for most of my walks in the future. It's a bit on the heavy side, but the cool, fresh, crunchy slices of cucumber in the middle of a hot day's walking are exceptionally good, and the cucumber does keep for a few days.

The porridge was real porridge of course, with some dried fruit added. Soaking overnight, makes it quicker to cook in the morning, and the dried fruit will also be nicer if soaked with the oats.

Note that some of these meals required a large wok to cook properly for 3 people, and could not be done on any standard bushwalking cooking gear that I'm aware of. I don't enjoy the extra weight of carrying the wok and all the fresh veges, but it was not a long walk to the campsite where we spent both nights, and the fantastic food (just as good as anything I'd have eaten at home) makes it so worthwhile.

Bushwalking is a great experience, and where possible I like to avoid ruining it with horrible food. Unfortunately, on longer walks, it's a lot more difficult to have an interesting menu. And where walking solo (or self catering), I'll often get lazy and compromise on the quality of my food then too.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Menu for a Recent 3 Day Walk

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 9:12 am

Oh, I forgot to mention, that the 'possibilité' of fresh trout didn't work out. The two mates were there to fish, and saw a lot of fish. They caught one of the first fish they saw, and it was over 3 pounds according to the scales built into the catch net. They caught it a bit before dinner time time (about 4:30pm), and then let it go.

Unbelievable!

Then didn't catch another one (that didn't break their lines) for the entire rest of the weekend.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 12:19 pm

Nik you eat better while bushwalking than I do at home! :mrgreen:

Shame about the trout though...
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 1:04 pm

I don't always eat that well when walking, but I do enjoy good food sometimes. :-)

It does require some extra equipment to do it well. In particular, the large Trangia and an additional large steel wok, which fits on top of the large Trangia. It doesn't cook quite as well as the wok at home, as it ends up a little too high off the stove, so the heat is less than ideal, and is too localised on a small area at the bottom of the wok, rather than spread up the sides. However, it does a fair job, and you can cook for 5 or 6 people this way, I'm guessing (I've cooked for 4 people this way a number of times).

It means that you can have a decent sized group, and only need to take one set of cooking gear.

The attached image shows how the wok is carried (sorry about the phone-camera image quality). :-)
Attachments
Little Fisher River Lookout.JPG
Little Fisher River Lookout.JPG (112.57 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 3:21 pm

I forgot to mention that one of the other guys did bring a whole venison scotch fillet, which he cooked up on night two for our second course with peach and chilli chutney (and the snow peas which I'd forgotten to put with the stir fry).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 8:02 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:..... and an additional large steel wok, which fits on top of the large Trangia. It doesn't cook quite as well as the wok at home, as it ends up a little too high off the stove, so the heat is less than ideal, and is too localised on a small area at the bottom of the wok, rather than spread up the sides.

I also use a wok on occasions and have often wondered about cutting down a Trangia top so that the wok sits lower on the flames. One of these days I will find a dead trangia at a garage sale and attack it with the tinsnips! Nothing like fresh food on trips. Personally I will suffer the pain of a heavier pack and chuck out clothes before I chuck out nice fresh food or wine (but maybe not the Grange :lol: ).
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tas-man » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 8:17 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:<SNIP>
The cucumber was an idea from somebody else who'd posted it to this forum. A fantastic idea, which I will use for most of my walks in the future. It's a bit on the heavy side, but the cool, fresh, crunchy slices of cucumber in the middle of a hot day's walking are exceptionally good, and the cucumber does keep for a few days.
<SNIP>

Original thread here :wink: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1159&p=8887&hilit=cucumber#p8887
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bush Tucker