Single Serve Satchets

Food topics, including recipes.

Single Serve Satchets

Postby taipan821 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 3:58 pm

Hello All
Has anyone had any experience with ordering single serve satchets?
I want to avoid the condiment tubs you get from fast food joints (jam, marmalade etc) because I find they leak too easily

Has anyone had any experience ordering from these people
http://www.handeepax.com.au/savoury.html
http://www.sachetsandmore.com/

setting up a 24 hour ration pack for land searches
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Single Serve Satchets

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 4:25 pm

No, sorry.

This may either be interesting or irrelevant :)
Following a thought bubble on storing oils/liquids the other day, and making a batch of dehy, i have been experimenting with vac seal tubes.

This so far

stix.JPG

Pretty self explanatory, as is stage two, which involves measured amounts and a weenie funnel :)

anyhow..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby taipan821 » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 4:40 pm

are those mylar bags? this idea will be interesting if it works
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 4:47 pm

yeah, mylar -ebay specials. You can get seed packet size but I think covering much of the heat strip at each sealing is best (fried one doing multiple small packets previously). We've been using them in larger sizes for various things for some time, seems, so long as the initial seal works, they won't leak.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 2:21 am

Interesting idea, Nuts.

It presupposes you know exactly how much oil/liquid you plan to use each time. And of course it's messier and potentially results in more trash weight/bulk -- or less, depending on what the alternative is.

I'm about to package some pesto and also some olive oil for a trip and I hadn't even considered vac sealing portions. Worth thinking about, even with standard bulky vac seal bag material.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Nuts » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 10:47 am

I'm sure the usefulness will be related to particular menu, some limited use or none at all. I don't think the need for single use amounts is as limiting as it seems. Was thinking they could be kept in a sheet & reused.. though controlling the mess may take some technique.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 12:39 pm

Nuts wrote:This may either be interesting or irrelevant :)
Following a thought bubble on storing oils/liquids the other day, and making a batch of dehy, i have been experimenting with vac seal tubes.

There was someone elsewhere online using the heat bar of their vac sealer to seal up jumbo drinking straws cut into short lengths for single servings.

Is there much call for single servings in Australia ? I have looks at a bunch of websites in the US and UK, but difficult to find anyone who ships here. I only really wanted some spam sachets :lol:

I've asked one of my suppliers (as a chef) but only he stocks stuff like sugar, butter and premium instant coffee sachets but 1000 units per box is the minimum order for a lot of items. I'm really interested in finding a source for more products and opening a tiny ebay store to gauge interest - is there anything in particular people want ? I can get stuff like double seal heavy duty zip lock bags in bulk...
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby metastable » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 8:01 pm

Here's some straw sealing instructions

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... ters-easy/
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 2:37 am

CasualNerd wrote:Is there much call for single servings in Australia ? I have looks at a bunch of websites in the US and UK, but difficult to find anyone who ships here.

This place ships to Australia but I'm not sure about the cost. For buying a small number of condiment packets it may not be worth it. You could find out.

http://www.minimus.biz/Condiments.aspx

CasualNerd wrote:I've asked one of my suppliers (as a chef) but only he stocks stuff like sugar, butter and premium instant coffee sachets but 1000 units per box is the minimum order for a lot of items. I'm really interested in finding a source for more products and opening a tiny ebay store to gauge interest - is there anything in particular people want ?

I can't speak for you guys but I'm always on the lookout for Grey Poupon, mayonnaise, ketchup, and sugar packets. There are other condiments/sauces I'd love to get if they were easy to find.

The thing is, those little packets have a limited shelf life, maybe a year. So stocking up (or buying a box of 1000) doesn't work. This also makes ordering even small quantities not particularly attractive. It would be great if they were available in the supermarket. I found ketchup packets in Woolworths some years back but I haven't seen them since.

A number of food items really can't be safely home sealed, at least not easily. Mayonnaise, for example.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taipan821 » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 10:09 am

Orion wrote:I can't speak for you guys but I'm always on the lookout for Grey Poupon, mayonnaise, ketchup, and sugar packets. There are other condiments/sauces I'd love to get if they were easy to find.

Maybe a group buy is in order?
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 10:26 am

I've never felt the need to portion out the usual condiments like salt and pepper/ chillie powder etc and I forgo any of the runny stuff like mayonaisse but I would be interested in peanut butter. Single portion peanut butter I found in every supermarket I visited in the US so I wonder what the cost of getting a supply would be here.
The alternative of filling baby food pouches with PB won't work in winter, it becomes unsqueezable unless you keep them in an inside pocket and I don't want a PB explosion in my clothing when I fall over [ and I fall over quite often when skiing] and I've not yet tried them with Vegemite but I think Vegemite would work
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 10:46 am

Moondog55 wrote:Single portion peanut butter I found in every supermarket I visited in the US...

I can't find single portion peanut butter here in California. Well, at least not unadulterated peanut butter. There is a brand that sells peanut butter mixed with palm oil and other stuff, and it's pretty easy to find. But that's not peanut butter in my book.

I do have a couple of small sachets of peanut butter (just peanuts and salt) that I got in New Zealand.
Ironically, they are made from Australian peanuts.

Maybe PB is a good one for Nuts' idea.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 10:57 am

You can get those portion control tubs from various catering businesses in packs of 50 eg. http://www.staples.com.au/main-catalogue-productdetail/kraft-peanut-butter-portion-control-11g-box-50/86723501 - peanut butter and vegemite, jams and honey should also be available. Not as robust as a sachet but not too bad.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm

Also interested in peanut butter portions...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 9:23 pm

Restaurant PC tubs are not at all robust tho and as mentioned a very short shelf life and 11 grams is not in my opinion even close to a portion. 30 grams is about right for jams, 11 is OK for Vegemite [ which from memory are 5 grams] but peanut butter I want 50 grams sachets
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 9:58 pm

taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 4:42 pm

CasualNerd wrote: I only really wanted some spam sachets :lol:

Coud you just Vac seal some SPAM portions? (I picture bacteria making finger signs of the cross)

Some good options with the icy pole tubes. You can get cheap battery operated sealers, may save some grief with the hair crimper :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 5:05 pm

Nuts wrote:
CasualNerd wrote: I only really wanted some spam sachets :lol:

Coud you just Vac seal some SPAM portions? (I picture bacteria making finger signs of the cross)

Nah just take the half size tins, the tin only weighs 20gms anyway 8)
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dnaylor » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi... :)
not single serves but convenient.. look at mainly greek or continental delis, you find "toothpaste" style tubes of mustards mayonnaise etc, also have look through the asian supermarkets specifically the japanese and korean ones as they love small sachets and tubes of condiments... if you want individual serves of meals like meatballs in sauce, premade meat curry etc check out a korean product by "ottogi" they are like MRE's and cost around $2 each (i place the sachet in the water as i boil it for drinks, decant some water into a stainless steel double wall wide mouth food jar from ikea, place cous cous in that, close the lid and wait 10min) make coffee etc, refill water and boil again for other stuff, meal pouch is now very hot and i add that to the cous cous and eat...
"Leggos" makes sachets of pizza sauce you can find in supermarkets, safcol makes a portion pouch of salmon (usually in a sauce), spam "singles" were around for a few years but dissapeared (btw plumrose used to sell a foil pouch 8 to a pack long life hotdogs they dissapeared too), simply slice spam then vac seal individually just before trip..
oh.. asian shops often have small ham/chicken sticks, also a fish stick version.. there is also a individual portion packed long life hard boiled eggs (shell off or on).. actually walk through any asian supermarket with an open eye and mind and you can find heaps of stuff... (on one trip using mainly asian ingredients i made a version of bouillabaisse)
You could also take the Chinese sausage lupchong.. that lasts for ever... any way... i've probably digressed too much... :D
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dnaylor » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 5:24 pm

Nuts wrote:yeah, mylar -ebay specials. You can get seed packet size but I think covering much of the heat strip at each sealing is best (fried one doing multiple small packets previously). We've been using them in larger sizes for various things for some time, seems, so long as the initial seal works, they won't leak.

If your on eBay look up "breast milk" bags.. those things have a double "Ziploc" seal so don't leak easily, sterile before you use them (you need to cut across the top above the double Ziploc) and stand like baby food pouches when full... they hold 250ml I've used them for a few things including placing the correct amount of full cream milk powder in it to make 250ml of milk, add water when needed and shake!!..
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dnaylor » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 6:29 pm

great news regarding single serve sachets.. not quite single serves but very very useful...

I came across these things at my local "the good guys" discount shop recently (at Tempe in Sydney)..

They come in the box of 10 and hold up to 100ml of product, only thing is that if you want to save some space you might want to swap the "anti child swallow cap" for a smaller one found on other single use food pouches.. they work well for cheese spread, honey, margarine, tomato paste, washing up liquid, sun cream etc..
https://doddlebags.com/

think it was $16 Australian :)
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Workingirl32 » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 6:47 pm

NZ company, AUD$6.50 for a 6 pack plus $10 shippjngImage

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk
Workingirl32
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby davidf » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 7:17 pm

I find small bags of various herbs, salt and pepper stolen from Maccas. Hospitals serve you satchets of marg, love to source those , make a good oil subsitute. Im a fan or crunchy peanut and almond butter. Put in small fruit juice conainers
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker