There must be more to breakfast than porridge...

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: There must be more to breakfast than porridge...

Postby Singe » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 10:33 pm

jitubisht wrote:Let me add something Indian in the mix :)

We get this -> Poha Breakfast vy NT (https://shop.mtrfoods.com/instant-regul ... -1629.html) This is primarily made of rice flakes.

Just add hot water, 3 minutes. That's all. Considered a very healthy breakfast in India , we love it!

Also - we have an Indian on-the-go snack which is 'salty-spicy'. Scroggin tends to get too sweet for me, I personally love Channa Jor Garam by Haldiram (main ingredient Gram) (http://www.haldiramsonline.com/chana-jor-garam.html)

Both these available in most Indian grocery stores in Australia
I like the sound of that, will check my local store. I really enjoy good chanachur, but it has to have lots of sultanas - they are too sparse in the ones in supermarkets here as bhuja mix.

I once made up a bunch of bags of breakfast couscous for a 7-day walk, just for variety; ended up looking forward to the muesli/porridge days. Go figure...
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Geevesy » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 8:45 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
north-north-west wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:I usually have bacon and eggs (sometimes on an english muffin) for short walks.

Some people are just way too obsessed about food. Last time at High Moor there were discarded eggshells there - and quite obviously not from hard-boiled eggs. With the greatest care in the world I couldn't pack eggs in on that track and have them unbroken at High Moor.

I wouldn't take eggs in to High Moor either. I only carry them on short walks (up to 3 or 4 days). They're a bit too heavy to carry much further than that.

Here's how I package them (note that you have to be prepared to sacrifice a tiny bit of weight and space)...

Using scissors, cut out the required number of segments from an egg carton, place the eggs in that, and then place that all into a hard plastic container. Fill any remaining space with other soft/squishy food items to make sure that the carton cannot rattle around inside the plastic container (eg, zip-locked bags of tea leaves, oats, whatever).

I've never broken an egg on a bushwalk using this method.

Of course it also helps to avoid dropping your pack or falling over. :-)

I do enjoy good food on a bushwalk. It makes a great walk even better for me, so carrying the little extra weight is worth it for short walks.

Packing out empty egg shells is also trivally easy. Just plonk them straight back into the egg carton. When they are all used, squash the egg carton flat (with shells still inside it) by stepping on it. Fold and squash again, if necessary, and then put in your usual rubbish bag (eg, zip-lock bag). Then you can use the empty plastic container to store other food items, or whatever, in order to make best use of the space in your pack.

There's no excuse for the mess you saw at High Moor. :-(

For those with a Trangia/any pot set they also make excellent egg transport
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Singe » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:12 am

Geevesy wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:
north-north-west wrote:[quote="Son of a Beach"]I usually have bacon and eggs (sometimes on an english muffin) for short walks.

Some people are just way too obsessed about food. Last time at High Moor there were discarded eggshells there - and quite obviously not from hard-boiled eggs. With the greatest care in the world I couldn't pack eggs in on that track and have them unbroken at High Moor.

I wouldn't take eggs in to High Moor either. I only carry them on short walks (up to 3 or 4 days). They're a bit too heavy to carry much further than that.

Here's how I package them (note that you have to be prepared to sacrifice a tiny bit of weight and space)...

Using scissors, cut out the required number of segments from an egg carton, place the eggs in that, and then place that all into a hard plastic container. Fill any remaining space with other soft/squishy food items to make sure that the carton cannot rattle around inside the plastic container (eg, zip-locked bags of tea leaves, oats, whatever).

I've never broken an egg on a bushwalk using this method.

Of course it also helps to avoid dropping your pack or falling over. :-)

I do enjoy good food on a bushwalk. It makes a great walk even better for me, so carrying the little extra weight is worth it for short walks.

Packing out empty egg shells is also trivally easy. Just plonk them straight back into the egg carton. When they are all used, squash the egg carton flat (with shells still inside it) by stepping on it. Fold and squash again, if necessary, and then put in your usual rubbish bag (eg, zip-lock bag). Then you can use the empty plastic container to store other food items, or whatever, in order to make best use of the space in your pack.

There's no excuse for the mess you saw at High Moor. :-(

For those with a Trangia/any pot set they also make excellent egg transport[/quote]Surely it would be less hassle to just bring a chicken... :?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:18 am

Singe wrote:Surely it would be less hassle to just bring a chicken... :?

I'm not convinced it would be less hassle. But it would allow for a great fresh chicken casserole with mushrooms and white wine gravy on the last night!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:11 am

Jok....Thai rice soup, thick, spicy & savoury, warming & filling.
Ideal for a cool bleak wintery mornings. :wink:
Similar to Congee in other asian countries.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Iwalk » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 6:24 pm

Each to their own, I love porridge. I like to linger over a meal at any time more so in the bush, so a few bites of bar doesn't cut it as a "meal" for me.

If you have a dehydrator try spicing it up a bit:
1. Make up porridge, mash banana to taste, maple syrup to taste. Cook, dehydrate. Take a few walnuts to crush in. (May go rancid in dehydrated mode if left too long).

2. Good old stewed apple and cinnamon to the porridge.

3. Assorted dried fruits, peels, a la Xmas cake/pudding, cinnamon, honey.

I vacuum seal these, generally making enough for a few walks over 2-3 months in single or multiple "doses" depending on the length of planned walks. They keep well for at least three months.

All reconstitute rapidly with boiling water and are delicious.

My cold variation is like most other's suggestions, home made muesli and milk powder.
Iwalk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Jameson » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi Gadgetgeek,
I know this is an old post, but can you recall the quantities of those ingredients? Your muesli mix looks great.

Gadgetgeek wrote:I make my own monster muesli from quinoa flakes, pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia seeds and coconut, clarified butter, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, and dried cranberries. I'd add nuts but cannot due to a work requirement.

pop-tarts also known as toaster strudels, are so high in simple sugars, I wouldn't allow a student to bring them, I'd rather they eat slices of white-bread first, at least the crash will be slightly slower. Also if you look at the serving size and calorie load of the average "on the go breakfast" its no better than eating a banana, for those if us who need a big hit in the morning, they are pittiful. My "backup" breakfast is two packets of breakfast biscuits, a tin of pineapple chunks, and a coffee. That gives me enough to get myself sorted to eat about an hour later.
Jameson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:04 pm

I usually just take a homemade instant oat mix in a ziplock bag these days for the weight and simplicity aspect of it (no washing up). Especially when wanting to leave camp early.
You could just mix up the additions to your oats. e.g. nuts one day, fruit the next, etc.
I find something warm other than my coffee in the morning cheers me up. So cold breakfast on a hike is a no go for me.
In the past, I've found croissants pretty good. Doesn't matter what shape they end up looking, just cut them open and toast with a stick. Then some Nutella and butter works well or processed meats for a savoury one.
But I wouldn't pack that for more than day 2 or 3 if your keen.

Reading this thread reminded me of a Filipino street food. Can't remember what its called exactly but basically, its hot sweet corn kernels that you get in a cup, seasoned with salt, butter, cheese powder and a bunch of other stuff.
I wasn't too keen on having it as a dessert but would be nice for breakfast. And you can even dehydrate corn kernels and substitute the cheese powder they use which is probably really bad for you with parmesan powder.
I'm going to find out what exactly they use and give this a go.
Huntsman247

Postby andrewa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:26 pm

My favourite, esp in the snow...

Pre cook some bacon bits, and maybe some chorizo sausage slices , but not too much. Put in zip lock bag to carry. Break 2 eggs in a zip lock bag, also for ease of carrying.

When breakfast is needed, chuck bacon and chorizo in the bag with the eggs. Put the whole lot in a billy of boiling water, until the eggs cook. Remove from zip lock bag, place on small burrito ( possibly warmed by placing on top of billy), fold and eat.

The other one I love us just natural fruit muesli, soaked overnight with milk powder and water - almost Burchen style by the Morning.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker