powdered peanut butter

Food topics, including recipes.

powdered peanut butter

Postby sim1oz » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 6:33 pm

I just discovered a powdered peanut butter in my local health food store: http://www.bellplantation.com/products/4-6-5-oz-jars-2-pack-pb2-2-pack-chocolate-pb2.html. It comes from the USA so it is not cheap but it would save a lot of weight. I was thinking it might come in handy for a week-long walk that I have planned.

I bought the PB2 with chocolate mix. You mix 2 tbsp of powder with 1tbsp of water and stir to 'rehydrate'. They were doing taste tests in the store and it seemed ok at the time though a very different texture from the crunchy peanut butter I normally buy. Has anyone else tried it before?
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: powdered peanut butter

Postby Orion » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 2:43 am

Perhaps it's not intuitive but powdered peanut butter doesn't save any weight at all. In fact it's heavier. The way it is made into a powder is by removing fat, not water. So it has fewer kJ per gram than full fat peanut butter.

I believe it was developed for long term storage (less fat = longer shelf life), probably for the end of the world survivalist crowd. So it's a good addition to your underground bomb shelter but not too useful for most bushwalkers.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby sim1oz » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 5:30 pm

Orion, good point. If one is trying to maximise calories per weight carried then removing the fat is not an efficient approach. From a straight weight perspective for something yummy (still to be decided), the powdered peanut butter is still pretty lightweight compared to sandwich/wrap fillings generally.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 7:28 pm

sim1oz wrote:From a straight weight perspective for something yummy (still to be decided), the powdered peanut butter is still pretty lightweight compared to sandwich/wrap fillings generally.

I switched to whipped PB as part of going lighter - it spreads more easily, so I use less, but it looks and tastes pretty good to me. I buy it on special, as I don't like paying extra for air, even if someone had to go to the trouble of adding it. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 5:09 am

sim1oz wrote:Orion, good point. If one is trying to maximise calories per weight carried then removing the fat is not an efficient approach. From a straight weight perspective for something yummy (still to be decided), the powdered peanut butter is still pretty lightweight compared to sandwich/wrap fillings generally.

Couldn't you just take less of regular peanut butter?

One thing that might tip the balance is the need to package regular PB differently because it is sticky. I've seen individual serving packages of PB, but you still end up with a sticky wrapper. Then again, when you reconstitute the powered version you'll probably still have something sticky to deal with.

How do you prepare the powdered PB? Do you have to get out a bowl and mix it with water like grout?
Or do you just snort it?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby bernieq » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 4:36 pm

sim1oz wrote:handy for a week-long walk that I have planned.

How much are you planning on eating?
A small (plastic) jar weighs 25g - big enough to hold 200+g of your favourite PB.
"Not enough" I hear you say - get a 500g jar!

I took 1kg on a 10-day trip in the Western Arthurs - well worth the effort imo.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wayno » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 5:06 pm

the oil will be oxidised or hydrogenated or both. if not a trans fat as well... i dont think it would be good for you to eat much of it..
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to Bush Tucker