Anyone for Roast Soft Squid

Food topics, including recipes.

Anyone for Roast Soft Squid

Postby walk2wineries » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 10:41 pm

Amused to find the "Stuart Park supermarket" (Darwin) was stocked with muu-muus, beer, and an odd range of groceries excluding any sort of bread or milk. The odd groceries included small ($2.95) packs of roast soft squid - can't tell you much else as most of the writing was in Oriental characters. Whatever it had been marinated in was a little sweet for me; it was chewy but arguably less tough than jerky, might make an acceptable change for those who rely on jerky, salami and similar products? But lightweight and I would guess good shelf life.
:mrgreen:
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Anyone for Roast Soft Squid

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 9:03 am

Interesting. Never seen it down here.

Not many listings for the stuff in Australia, but there is this: http://www.myasiangrocer.com.au/sunil-r ... squid-26g/
Better value than supermarket jerky at that price. Have to get some and try it out. I love seafood.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby AlexB » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 11:55 am

I've had that stuff before and it is indeed sweet! I think it's mostly flavored with sugar, msg, and a little chilli. It has a soft fibrous texture. There's also the Chinese style jerky you can buy in sticky square sheets, by weight, and has a similar flavour (or a range of flavours depending where you go). It's a while since I had it but I don't remember it being cheap. These days if I wanted lightweight bushwalking protein from Chinatown I'd probably go for those roasted broad beans or wasabi peas or bhuja or something. Mm, hadn't thought of bhuja for scroggin before but it's not a bad idea.
AlexB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 12:08 pm

The asian stores here in the San Francisco Bay area have all sorts of "tasty" treats. There's this squished semi-dried octopus thing that I've eyed on occasion while ordering sashimi to take home from a Japanese grocery. The more Chinese oriented (no pun intended) places have even weirder offerings. This one place near our home has such a reek of ammonia from fish when you first walk in that it just about knocks you over. And they play this really horrible music that is even worse. It's too much. But it's funny, after 5-10 minutes you don't notice either of those things anymore, which I find a little scary. I've tried some of the various dried seafoody things at that store for bushwalking. It never turned out well.

Good luck with that squid!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby walk2wineries » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 1:42 am

north-north-west wrote:Interesting. Never seen it down here.

Not many listings for the stuff in Australia, but there is this: http://www.myasiangrocer.com.au/sunil-r ... squid-26g/
Better value than supermarket jerky at that price. Have to get some and try it out. I love seafood.

You probably know that Tassal produce a (locally made!) salmon jerky? I haven't tried it as it had a lot of black pepper on it but it comes in strips packaged rather like Annies or Fruitwise fruit leather strips.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 9:15 am

walk2wineries wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Interesting. Never seen it down here.

You probably know that Tassal produce a (locally made!) salmon jerky? I haven't tried it as it had a lot of black pepper on it but it comes in strips packaged rather like Annies or Fruitwise fruit leather strips.

I don't actually - well, I didn't until I read your post. Have never seen it but have to get some. Thanks for the info.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 10:29 am

walk2wineries wrote:You probably know that Tassal produce a (locally made!) salmon jerky? I haven't tried it as it had a lot of black pepper on it but it comes in strips packaged rather like Annies or Fruitwise fruit leather strips.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure which item this is at http://www.tassal.com.au/products/. Is it the smoked slices?

How long would you suggest it will keep for on the track?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 12:08 pm

Gotta use those bathe morts for something I guess. Can't put them all in cans...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 1:19 pm

Strider wrote:Gotta use those bathe morts for something I guess. Can't put them all in cans...

Those what? I did a search and was asked: Did you mean bath mats?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 2:35 pm

Also I will say is that no one value adds their highest quality product.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 5:12 pm

Strider wrote:Also I will say is that no one value adds their highest quality product.

I would assume that the fresh product would have to be the highest quality one, and that doing anything to that is not, by definition, adding value. Therefore I'm still none the wiser.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walk2wineries » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 9:45 pm

peregrinator wrote:
walk2wineries wrote:You probably know that Tassal produce a (locally made!) salmon jerky? I haven't tried it as it had a lot of black pepper on it but it comes in strips packaged rather like Annies or Fruitwise fruit leather strips.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure which item this is at http://www.tassal.com.au/products/. Is it the smoked slices?

Sorry, I can't see it on their site either. I bought it at the Salamanca shop in Hobart. I notice they have a new shop at Kew/Melbourne..... Maybe they were trialling it. I think it has the same shelflife as beef jerky.... I had it in the van for a year before realising that the pepper was intimidating me, gave it to a nephew who eats anything and loves jerky and he's still walking.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 9:46 pm

The Kew shop has been there since before the Hobart store opened. Probably around five years or so now. Salmon jerky does sound interesting.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bush Tucker