reusing water aftrer heating in a bag

Food topics, including recipes.

reusing water aftrer heating in a bag

Postby zebee » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 5:42 am

So I am pondering overnight porridge where you soat your oats in liquid (reconstituted dried milk in my case) overnight so you don't have to cook them as such.

At home I warm it in the microwave. I was thinking that in camp I would keep it in a ziploc bag, immerse the bag in hot water for a bit, put a cosy on the lot, eat when warmed through.

But is the water the bag's been in safe? Bring it to the boil again and make tea?

At first look "as long as boiled, OK" but then I think about plastics. Would there be enough evil in the bag to make difference?
zebee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: reusing water aftrer heating in a bag

Postby icefest » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 7:05 am

zebee wrote: Would there be enough evil in the bag to make difference?

Nope.

There may be some practical issues though. I've tried reheating things in ziploc bangs and the bags will often bust at the seams, so make sure you test it with the bags at home.
Also, don;t let the bag touch the sides of the pot, above water, as they will melt. :lol:

I was trying a boil-cake in ziploc bags, in the end I used the mylar oven-roasting bags.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby zebee » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 1:21 pm

icefest wrote:
I was trying a boil-cake in ziploc bags, in the end I used the mylar oven-roasting bags.

Interesting idea... I take it they don't melt?
zebee
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 1:27 pm

Nope, but they tear incredibly easily.

With powdered eggs and milk and instant icing, you can make a decent cake mid trip. You don't even need to carry dry-baking stuff.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Bush Tucker