Dehydrating Dips

Food topics, including recipes.

Dehydrating Dips

Postby J M » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 4:59 pm

Recently I've been playing around with dehydrating some hummus I made, with good results. I was wondering if anyone else has done something similar and found any other good dips to dehydrate? I'm curious to try a whole range :)

It certainly makes lunch more interesting (and lighter)!
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Dehydrating Dips

Postby icefest » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 5:02 pm

I've only made hummus. Don't add to much olive oil when rehydrating, if you don't like the taste of olives.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snowzone » Fri 02 May, 2014 9:32 am

icefest wrote:I've only made hummus. Don't add to much olive oil when rehydrating, if you don't like the taste of olives.

Obviously you don't like olives Icefest. I just use water to rehydrate my hummus and its been good. I'm also careful not to have too much oil in it from the Tahinni when I make it and dehydrate it.
Let us know what else you try JM as I agree its really nice to sit down to something other than biscuits and cheese every day.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dee_legg » Fri 02 May, 2014 4:19 pm

I've done plenty of hommus and love it!

To add variety you could try making a hommus with a few additions like roasted pumpkin, chilli and coriander or beetroot with added crushed walnuts on rehydrating. I haven't tried drying this yet but you can make a really tasty dip with pureed kidney beans, super finely diced red onion, coriander leaves, lime juice, garlic ,chilli, cumin, coriander, paprika and cayenne pepper that would probably dehy pretty well and would be delicious in wraps with cheese.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby J M » Sun 04 May, 2014 1:29 am

Some good ideas here, I'll definitely try the roast pumpkin one. I thought I might try roast capsicum as well sometime, which should be nice.
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Wed 07 May, 2014 5:49 pm

I’ve been dehydrating dips for many years – for me, home-made works much better than commercial dips (probably because I don’t use as much oil as bought dips). Hommus, certainly, and Baba Ganouj dehydrate well.

I use them as part of lunch so they have to rehydrate more or less instantly – easily achieved by grinding the dried dip in a mortar and pestle to a fine powder. My lunch paraphernalia includes a small container for rehydration (and doubles as storage for cheese, salami etc).

Vary the taste by including other things like beetroot, pumpkin, pine-nuts, herbs (oregano, thyme …), chilli, lime ... – the list is endless.

Selamat makan !

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby redbruce » Thu 08 May, 2014 9:06 am

bernieq wrote:I’ve been dehydrating dips for many years – for me, home-made works much better than commercial dips (probably because I don’t use as much oil as bought dips). Hommus, certainly, and Baba Ganouj dehydrate well.

The commercial long life dips (Always Fresh brand?) dehydrate and rehydrate much better than those from the refrigerated section in the supermarket.

The main difference appears to be far less oil.
redbruce
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Snowzone » Thu 08 May, 2014 9:48 am

bernieq wrote:I use them as part of lunch so they have to rehydrate more or less instantly – My lunch paraphernalia includes a small container for rehydration (and doubles as storage for cheese, salami etc).

I just carry my dehydrated hommus in a small zip lock bag. I find about 25g is a good serving size. When I'm ready for lunch I just add water to the bag give it a bit of a mush around with my fingers and it is ready to use.
Snowzone

Postby wayno » Thu 08 May, 2014 10:30 am

I've had dehydrated yoghurt, its like toffee. very yummy...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby ssloane » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 9:36 pm

This thread is a bit old but in case someone is searching for ideas at any point I'll add this FABULOUS recipe to the thread:

http://backpackerrecipes.wordpress.com/ ... ail-lunch/
ssloane
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker