how to make garlic bread in a fry pan

Food topics, including recipes.

how to make garlic bread in a fry pan

Postby walkon » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi does anyone know how to make garlic flat bread flat or otherwise in a frypan? I saw that some europeans had made it on a trip once but due to language barrier we had no hope commicating the recipe. Though I did manage to swap a mars bar for a plate size piece and all parties seemed pretty happy wiith the transaction.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: how to make garlic bread in a fry pan

Postby corvus » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 6:20 pm

G'day walkon,
Have not made fry pan flat bread for years(still make chapattis and roti at home) since I stopped 4wd camping however I think some of the methods I used using a cast iron skillet could be adapted from the suggestions on this site with a light weight fry pan, one of my walking companions made really nice damper in his lw fry pan on our last OLT walk .
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... read&sm=12
regards and good cooking,
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 9:05 pm

Maybe try a recipe for a pizza base, with added garlic and oil. Aust Facebook page Camp Oven Cooking (which often features posts from the Cast Iron Boys, who have a cookbook) may have some suggestions

Edit. I just checked what Corvus linked, that's what I had in mind too.

Will rise better with a lid, out bush maybe make one from folded and pleated foil.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 2:24 pm

Also look into any naan bread recipes. Ive never made it myself but could do the trick, if its possible
perfectlydark

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 8:51 am

It will depend on how much garlic you like and the time available for the bread to do the first rise, just be aware that raw garlic kills the yeast cells so I would use dried granulated garlic if mixing it through the flour. Make it fried and you should have no problem in a lightweight pan. Use almost any bread /nan recipe but add the dried granulated garlic and a little extra salt. Before you leave for the trip puree some fresh garlic and add it to some nice olive oil.
make up the bread dough, roll it out flat and use a lot of oil in the pan
You will need to make sure none of the pureed garlic gets in the oil because it burns very quickly; turn once When cooked dust with a mixture of grated Parmesan and garlic/herb salt, don't forget the red wine to go with it
I haven't done this for years as I no longer bother with fancy food on walks but i used to use a heavy black iron frying pan, a chefs pan in fact over a wood fire
The only real trick is mixing up the base before leaving, adding in the salt and yeast plus yeast food in advance
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkon » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks moondog the garlic being a yeast killer explains some of the flops I've had. Normal dough worked fine and I just thought I made a mistake somewhere. I'm doing the OT soon and just wanted a treat in the later stages that wasn't heavy. Got to say that I'm fixated on the garlic bread, probably a memory of happy times and wanting to relive it I reckon
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 4:37 pm

Fresh bread of any sort is a real treat, fresh garlic in the head keeps for ages so you can just add it too the top after it is cooked perhaps, I often add a head or two of garlic for added flavour in cooked rice and pasta, but dried is convenient. Of course if you ever have access to a wood fire or an oven bread is much easier
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bush Tucker