Caches

Food topics, including recipes.

Caches

Postby jjoz58 » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 1:15 pm

I have never done a walk requiring caches before, but will need them for the AAWT Nov/Dec. I plan to use 20lt metal drums, the ones with the metal bands that are used to secure them. Everything will be sealed inside a large mylar bag, in the drum. Then tape the lid on, use the metal ban and then tape it as well. I've spray painted them with green and brown to cover the white of the drum. I think it should be enough?
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Caches

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 2:10 pm

Hide them really REALLY well Just to be on the safe side.
I've used steel drums many times; they are good for keeping out rats etc; not so good for the 2 leggered vermin
GPS co-ordinated and those stored in 3 places
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 2:42 pm

The drums are great for drops. I never bother painting them - just pop them in a green garbage bag.
I'd be very careful about your Mitta Mitta drop - Taylors Crossing I assume. There is a lot of 4WD usage + locals and dogs. You would need to carry it a fair way from the bridge for it to remain undisturbed for very long. You could consider placing it where the AAWT crosses the Benambra - Corryong Road about 1/2 a day further on and no real difference in the driving. You can camp there without any problem and water can usually be found in Stony Creek about 1km down the road or just put a few litres in with the drop just to be sure.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jjoz58 » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 5:54 pm

That Mita Mitta Cache is one I was going to have to play by ear and wait until I got there to check it out. According to Chapman's AAWT book, the track shown is over grown with something (Blackberries) and you now use the Tableland and Lower Tableland Rds. I was going to look at the two tracks that go down to the Mitta Mitta River off the Lower Tablelands Rd. Hopefully there was going to be a nice area near the river to cache the drop, as I wanted to have an early day for the first drop.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 6:07 pm

jjoz58 wrote:That Mita Mitta Cache is one I was going to have to play by ear and wait until I got there to check it out. According to Chapman's AAWT book, the track shown is over grown with something (Blackberries) and you now use the Tableland and Lower Tableland Rds. I was going to look at the two tracks that go down to the Mitta Mitta River off the Lower Tablelands Rd. Hopefully there was going to be a nice area near the river to cache the drop, as I wanted to have an early day for the first drop.

There's considerable flood damage that has washed away a great part of the old track, plus blackberry and broom infestations. It's best (for environmental reasons) to keep away from that part of the riverbank.
Personally, I'd stash a cache in the thicker scrub just above the Tablelands Rd near where the foot track heads up to the ridge before dropping back down to Morass Ck. It's close to Taylors yet without the 4wd traffic, and the bush is thick enough to hide a drum nicely.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby jjoz58 » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks for the info.

JJ
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 9:12 am

Those that have done cacher drops before, do you leave a little note with it incase it is stumbled on by someone? (Eg "please do not remove this is for a planned walk etc"?
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 9:54 am

Masking tape on the top or sides, with expected date of use and collection of remains.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 7:54 am

I always leave a note in a ziploc attached to the outside of the drop.

"This is a food drop to support a walk of the Australian Alps Walking Track by Mark F over Summer 2010/11.
This food drop is vital for my safety. Please do not tamper with it. The packing materials will be removed after my walk.
I expect to reach this food drop on 20 December.
If you find this food drop after 1 January 2011 you may use its contents."
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Bush Tucker