Food Bags

Food topics, including recipes.

Food Bags

Postby mountnman » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm curious to know what everybody else uses as a food bag. I currently use a clip-lock plastic lunch box. It's heavy, struggles to hold 4 days food, and does not compress at all.

What other ways are there to carry food. I had thought about a plastic bag, but after an experience with a possum in Blue Gum Forest I would prefer an air tight solution so scents don't get through.
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Food Bags

Postby Strider » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 7:37 pm

Individual meals in snaplock bags, then drybagged in my pack. The possums still come for it, I just have to wake up.and scare them off! :lol:
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 7:56 pm

I do the same as strider and I also use freeze dried meals which probably carry very little smell. All food stuffs in a heavy roll top bag that's more like PVC than silnylon, think they use them for kayaking. Seek is the brand I think.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 6:21 am

Very similar to both with a S to S 4 litre dry bag. Not the silnylon type this one has a smooth "plasticy"
yellow outer surface. Then inside that I use a ziplock for coffee, tea, sugar satchels, ziplock of pasta and so on for loose stuff.
Other meals are vac sealed in there own bag.
Last edited by neilmny on Thu 30 Jan, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 7:12 am

I take a small round microwave container with lid, and cuben fiber roll top bags now. The container has several uses: breakfast / dinner bowl, carrying lunch and stopping biscuits getting smashed, and the lid gets used as cutting board. It also fits my Evernew billy nicely inside it if needed, so packs well in pack if it doesn't have biscuits in it. Cuben bags are new. I don't have probs with possums etc, but, given that you can't cut Cuban with scissors, it should be reasonably resistant to animals!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Snowzone » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 8:28 am

I use an old plastic 2litre icecream container to carry my biscuits and bits and pieces for lunch. This is always towards the top of my pack during the day for ease of access when stopping for lunch.
Everything else is in ziplock bags and a dry bag. I put my individual meals in a small zip lock and then bag all my dinners, breakfasts etc. together in a larger zip lock before storing in the dry bag. At night it all goes into my pack, so far I have never had a problem but I am careful to try to reduce any smells around my pack and campsite.
Sometimes there is no reason for a rat to eat into your tent, my friend just had a brand new tent holed at Lake Cygnus with no food anywhere near it and definately no smell on the tent.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mark F » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 7:55 pm

+1 on the cuben outer bags - they won't stop possums carting the bag off but they do stop beasties eating their way in. Overnight, I always keep my food inside the tent or hung from rafters if using a hut.

I pack my food into two or three bags depending on trip length. 1 for lunches and 1 or 2 for camp food (breakfast and dinner together or separate). All camp food is portion controlled into individual zip lock bags and any home dehydrated meals are vacuum sealed.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby mountnman » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 8:11 pm

Definitely some good ideas. Will have a look for the cuben bags, they sound interesting!
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 8:44 pm

MYO Cuban bags.....contact Simonm for materials, and use the web, or look at my entries on MYO gear. No sewing needed...just tape. A very easy and cheap project.

I use a bag for each meal over a 10 day trip, labelled 1,2,3 accordingly.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby thejungleisneutral » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 9:44 pm

I use one of these -

It's a military medical supplies bag with three main compartments and one large pocket. It folds up and is relatively lightweight.

I usually use home-dehydrated meals in vac-seal bags and I can fit up to 6 day's food in one of these bags.

The proper packcloth bags can be difficult to find but they are usually pretty cheap when they do come up for sale.
thejungleisneutral
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Bushcraft Magazine
Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 2:08 pm

Has anyone trailed cuben fiber for food storage? Apparently it is highly gnaw resistant. Keen to give it a go..
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 2:55 pm

Strider wrote:Has anyone trailed cuben fiber for food storage? Apparently it is highly gnaw resistant. Keen to give it a go..

ZPacks make a bear bag that's claimed to be critter resistant.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml

I've not personally used one myself, whilst I have used regular cubes bags I've been lucky enough to not be visited by hungry toothed locals when hiking.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Mark F » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 3:03 pm

Cuben would become a bit expensive for food drops but could be a good option if walking them in rather than just the standard roadside drop. Most of the food drops I have put in are used 10 or 20 litre thin walled steel containers - cut the lid almost out. Pack food into a plastic liner the reseal with a couple of wire ties and silicone. I then put them in a dull green garbage bag for a bit of camoflage.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Strider » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 4:26 pm

Are you referring to expensive in relation to food drops being stolen Mark? Anyway. I've never needed to do a food drop, but am more so interested in simply animal proofing at the campsite. Never had any significant issues but if there is a cheap solution that also saves weight then I have no real reason not to :D
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 03 Feb, 2014 5:52 pm

Each meal in separate zip lock bags (the ones with the white bit on them so you can label them), usually all the original packaging removed if it's bulky. This not only reduces weight and volume, but also the amount of rubbish you carry out. Then that day's food in a bigger ziplock. Then bulk of food for the trip in a blue Zpacks roll-top cuben bag, that has a D ring on it that allows it to be hung up out of he way of crafty creatures. Hot food or dehydrated meals are eaten out of the bag with a longer spoon, and put in an insulated cozy to keep warm and finish cooking after the boiling water has been added. Snacks are kept in small pockets on our packs, or in my front pockets if using an Aarn pack.
The ziplock bags come in handy for rubbish etc afterwards.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jjoz58 » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 5:28 pm

I use an ultra sil bag and mylar bag all the food, less smell. We do up all the meals ourselves using a combination of freeze and dehydrated food. Rice and meat are the hardest to come by. My wife and I make up a one serve meal and if we like the result we then make 2 or 3 serve portions (if our daughter comes). We have found we can then make meals with the spices and content that we like. We each do a mylar snack bag for each day with snacks, tea, sugar, milo etc. and no smell. We had to buy a vacuum sealer from the USA that would do mylar bags and that's where we get the bags as well. Works out about $3/meal but the portions are bigger, just what you want at the end of the day. We also add some wraps that we mylar pack as well.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:10 am

I have a Zpacks food bag (the thick blue one that's also used for bear bagging). Over the past summer I had food in individual ziploc bags.

It only holds about a weeks worth of food for one person, but works really well. I haven't had any animals attack it yet, but that's because I usually have it inside the tent, hanging from a tree if it doesn't look like rain, or hanging from the rafters.

Sometime this year I'm planning on getting another zpacks food bag and some individual lightweight cuben stuff sacks (like andrewa has).

With a numbering system (one per day) and the extra layer of water-resistance I shouldn't have to worry about leaking bags and can use more lightweight freezer bags (the thin non-ziplock bags) and save on the amount of rubbish I produce when hiking. It might even be a modicum lighter.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:43 pm

jjoz58 wrote:I use an ultra sil bag and mylar bag all the food, less smell. We do up all the meals ourselves using a combination of freeze and dehydrated food. Rice and meat are the hardest to come by. My wife and I make up a one serve meal and if we like the result we then make 2 or 3 serve portions (if our daughter comes). We have found we can then make meals with the spices and content that we like. We each do a mylar snack bag for each day with snacks, tea, sugar, milo etc. and no smell. We had to buy a vacuum sealer from the USA that would do mylar bags and that's where we get the bags as well. Works out about $3/meal but the portions are bigger, just what you want at the end of the day. We also add some wraps that we mylar pack as well.

What are mylar bags please?

I looked this up
https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emer ... vs0NLQhE3g

And, as the ad says 'Where do you get it?' (in Aus)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jjoz58 » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:06 pm

OSM - I've had a look at that website but those bags are big. Half Gallon is the smallest and that's 2+ litres .

If you have ever had a dehydated/freezedried meal, that you just add water to and looks like thin metal, that is a mylar bag.

"In its basic form, mylar is a clear material made from polyester resin. IMPAK produces Mylar bags and Mylar films for a wide range of industries and applications requiring high moisture barrier and oxygen barrier properties. Mylar possesses many desirable properties including gas and moisture resistance, chemical stability, high tensile strength, and when laminated to aluminum foil, mylar provides a higher puncture resistance than any metallized polyester film. When laminated, mylar is reflective, while it is transparent when not laminated."

Using these bags if you add an oxygen absorber and a dessicant pkt, you can keep them for a few years. It is the oxygen, moisture and light that degrades or ruins dried foods. You can't use a normal vacuum sealer as mylar bags are smooth unlike normal plastic bags which are textured. You need to get a snorkel sealer and the only place I found one was in the states. https://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html I also get my bags from there as they have a huge range of sizes.

I stopped looking for bags in Australia as I could only find very large bags 1-5 gallon. Just like plastic bags though you can cut a larger one down and seal the edges. Since I like the stand up reclosable zip lock ones I buy them from the states.

Also posted some other info on your thread. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15174
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:24 am

Cheers!
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bush Tucker