Rice in packets?

Food topics, including recipes.

Rice in packets?

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:34 am

Hey, I've only recently obtained a hiking stove (a little $8 thing that seems robust enough for my needs hehe) and am starting to plan some meals. (Up until now I generally do not cook meals just eat snacky type foods). Ive seen some good indian meals I can cook in the packet in boiling water which appeal to me (like lentils), but for the rice I am wondering if there are similar products out there? Thos microwavable rice packets would they survive in boiling water or is there a better option? Rather than just cook rice in the pot itself (save fuel, time, washing etc).
Keep in mind weight is not a real issue for me and this is usually just an overnighter
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rice in packets?

Postby gayet » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:50 am

The microwaveable rice only needs warming and it is packed pretty tight in the bag. You would need to massage it well to break it up a bit before dropping the bag in hot water. I have used them but by adding other stuff to it. I'll bring sufficient water to a boil for the rice as well as to cook/rehydrate added stuff - then add the rice let the water boil and steam up through it and all done. If you use some of the flavoured varieties its the same process. If not carrying it too far and weight isn't an issue I often added smoked chicken, fresh spinach, dried mushrooms etc to the rice having rehydrated the mushies in hot water, add the chopped chicken to that and reheat it, add the rice, throw the spinach on top and let it steam for a bit. Done.
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks mate. That sounds very interesting, in particular the mushrooms (I am a massive mushy fan!!). As a newcomer to this method of cooking I guess I cant wrap my head around the survivability of the packets, I just think they would melt onto the metal or something. Could always experiment at home first I guess.
When you say 'let the water boil and steam up through it and all done' are you adding the rice to the water there or is that in a ziplock bag or something?
perfectlydark

Postby gayet » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 9:44 am

As a full packet of the Uncle Bens flavoured varieties is too much for me in one go I add half a packet to the water I have soaked the dried mushies in and warmed the smoked chicken in. Add the fresh spinach to the top of the rice, put a lid on and turn down the flame. It only takes a few minutes to warm all the rice. Just ensure you break the lumps of rice up first! It reheats faster that way :-).

I don't reheat in the packet.

But you would need to heat a fair bit of water to immerse the whole bag in, so I think my way works better in some respects - more cleaning up though.
gayet

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 9:46 am

Ah thats clear, thank you, I must have misread above. So these rice packets must have precooked rice then (just requiring the warming up) which is a big bonus
perfectlydark

Postby gayet » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 9:52 am

That they are. The instructions are to break the rice lumps up in the packet, cut open a corner, add a bit of water and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. I break it up, divide in 2, add half to the other ingredients prepared earlier that are already in just enough water/liquid to steam through the rice, warming it and softening the edges.

It is precooked rice, be it plain white or flavoured.
gayet

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 9:54 am

Perfect. Thank you very much, excellent ideas to for ingredients
perfectlydark

Postby wayno » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 10:17 am

microwaveable rice packets should withstand the heat of boiling water, one issue though could be whats on the outside of the packet, dye or plastic leaching into the water....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 10:22 am

Yes that was a concearn of mine too Wayno (I originally was hoping to use the same water for tea or restocking). Best to be safe and not do so, although finding somewhere to dispose of it might be a challenge.
probably best to just use gayet's advice which involves heating the rice directly in a small amount of water
perfectlydark

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 11 Jan, 2014 1:26 pm

Well as a super exciting lunch today I thought I'd test out ways to cook these meals easily. I put the rice in a ziplock bag and added a little bit of boiling water (probably too much as my rice turned out a bit too soggy) while I had the lentils pack on the stove in boiling water. Turned out great, very easy too. Probably could have just added the boiling water to the rice packet (seeing as its supposedly microwave proof) but a ziplock bag would be lighter anyway I guess
perfectlydark

Return to Bush Tucker