Sanitarium "One Square Meal"

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Sanitarium "One Square Meal"

Postby geoskid » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:39 pm

LandSailor wrote:At the risk of sounding like a broken record (think Im way past that) this was published in Nutrition Journal a couple of weeks ago:-

Dietary Carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management. Critical review and evidence base

Although, obviously not directly comparable to humans I still thought this was an interesting segment on Landline. To produce the best Wagyu steaks with the highest possible fat content, what do they feed the cattle? Grains, grains and more grains. In other words, an extreme high-carb diet:-

High Stakes

G'day LandSailor,

Hope you are well - it's been a while :)

BTW - What was this thread about?

Your right , cows are obviously not comparable to humans. There is a difference between marbling and fat.
Just ask a fat cow or a marbled human. :P

Over

PS - just playin', take care.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby geoskid » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:58 pm

geoskid wrote:Just ask a fat cow or a marbled human. :P

What do you reckon, NNW? :| .... :P
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby north-north-west » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 9:04 pm

geoskid wrote:
geoskid wrote:Just ask a fat cow or a marbled human. :P

What do you reckon, NNW? :| .... :P

I'm old & decrepit, not fat! :x
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby wayno » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:42 pm

The Truth Behind the High-Fat-Low-Carb Cult
Proponents of the Banting diet claim that cutting carbs is the key to weight loss and improved health. There's just one problem: it'll make you slow.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bo ... otion.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby LandSailor » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:27 am

geoskid wrote: There is a difference between marbling and fat.

I thought marbling is just intra-muscular fat?

Interesting segue though! Never saw that coming NNW :D

geoskid wrote: Proponents of the Banting diet claim that cutting carbs is the key to weight loss and improved health. There's just one problem: it'll make you slow.

Its hard to know what to believe. I think a big part of the problem is that the majority of the research into LCHF (Low-Carb, High-Fat) diets dont take into account that you need to adapt to fat intake as your primary energy source. It takes up to 3 weeks before your body is efficiently metabolising fats. Once properly fat-adapted performance significantly improves.
Anyway having said that it makes sense that for short-term, highly aerobic exercise carbohydrates would have to be of benefit. For endurance athletes probably the best performance would be a fat-adapted body that was "carb-loaded" before an event.

Here's an article making an alternative claim:-

“Before he was on the diet, at the point where he was burning 50 per cent fat and 50 per cent carbs, he was able to generate 130 watts on an exercise bike. Twelve weeks [after he switched to a LCHF diet] he was able to produce 330 watts with same fuel mix efficiency,”

So many pro athletes don’t go on about [the LCHF diet] because they don’t want to share it with the athletes that don’t do it,” .... “But among the athletes I know, 40 to 50 per cent are training their body to use fat for fuel.”
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:16 am

LandSailor wrote:
geoskid wrote: There is a difference between marbling and fat.

I thought marbling is just intra-muscular fat?

Interesting segue though! Never saw that coming NNW :D

geoskid wrote: Proponents of the Banting diet claim that cutting carbs is the key to weight loss and improved health. There's just one problem: it'll make you slow.

Its hard to know what to believe. I think a big part of the problem is that the majority of the research into LCHF (Low-Carb, High-Fat) diets dont take into account that you need to adapt to fat intake as your primary energy source. It takes up to 3 weeks before your body is efficiently metabolising fats. Once properly fat-adapted performance significantly improves.
Anyway having said that it makes sense that for short-term, highly aerobic exercise carbohydrates would have to be of benefit. For endurance athletes probably the best performance would be a fat-adapted body that was "carb-loaded" before an event.

Here's an article making an alternative claim:-

“Before he was on the diet, at the point where he was burning 50 per cent fat and 50 per cent carbs, he was able to generate 130 watts on an exercise bike. Twelve weeks [after he switched to a LCHF diet] he was able to produce 330 watts with same fuel mix efficiency,”

So many pro athletes don’t go on about [the LCHF diet] because they don’t want to share it with the athletes that don’t do it,” .... “But among the athletes I know, 40 to 50 per cent are training their body to use fat for fuel.”

no matter how well you adapt to digesting fat, you will simply never ever be able to burn fat faster than carbs. there is no comparison to the amount of energy you can get from carbs to the amoutn of energy you can get from fat on a time measured basis.. hte more intense your exercise is the easier it will be to generate more energy if you are eating more carbs rather than more fat.
athletes in endurance races eventually hit the wall if they dont take enough sugar or carbs. they can burn their own body fat for a source of fat.. hte more you restrict carbs and sugar intake the more likely you are to experience a drop in energy output... thats why marathoners hit the wall. they run out of glucose because the intensity at which they exercise means they must get a certain percentage of their energy from glucose to offset the slower metabolism of energy from protein and fat.... find me an athlete who is running under 2 hours ten mins for a marathon that eats a high fat low carb diet,,,, I don't think they exist.... i used to be a harrier and i never came across anyone running under three hours or even three and a half hours who ate a low carb high fat diet....
people who undertake a lot of endurance exercise tend to already be capable of getting a fair bit of their energy out of fat. the body tries to spare its use of sugar as much as it can when burning large amounts of energy over a prolonged period of time and will burn as much fat as it can.. someone who is seasoned in endurance exercise will be able to get more energy from fat than someone who doesnt do much endurance exercise... thats been shown in studies on endurance athletes.. specifically ironman triathletes
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 17 Nov, 2014 3:35 pm

Can Expeditions Be Run On Fat-fuelled Diets?
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/outdoor-fe ... 13567.html
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker