What are the best dehydrated/freeze-dried meals?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: What are the best dehydrated/freeze-dried meals?

Postby PixelTali » Thu 11 Apr, 2024 9:57 am

I also second Radix - they have 400, 600, and 800 calorie versions, a 6-flavour pack and they don't have much salt so you avoid the salty, preservative taste with some meals.
I'm in the same boat as you - we hike for a very long day I want the brainlessness of the packet meal, and the ease of water and then rubbish bag for the packet. Radix is also a NZ company so local enough!
PixelTali
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Kott » Thu 11 Apr, 2024 3:00 pm

How are the vegan/vegetarian versions. The old meat based ones were really nice?

p.s. second Pixeltali comment - I love the option for a simple rubbish bag after.
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby matagi » Thu 11 Apr, 2024 9:41 pm

One of the things we noticed after having the Radix meals on our recent Overland Track trip, is that there's no greasy residue - I rehydrated mine in my pot and it was easy to rinse clean afterward.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby headwerkn » Mon 15 Apr, 2024 2:06 pm

vagrom wrote:Thanks Headwerkn, the Alps and Amici website is helpful and their shop in Lonnie looks very good. I wonder if they're Italian. - Thus the good food. When you say you add stuff at home into a zip-lock bag and later simply add boiling water, is it their zip-lock bag or are you confident to add boiling water to your own-bought Zip-locks - Glad?

Their freeze-dried meals are literally the same fancy meals they sell prepared in their store (fancypants East Launceston deli store for fancypants East Launceston types), so high quality stuff. I believe Forager Foods do their freeze drying.

Yes, I just use regular supermarket ziploc bags, medium size. The bags that freeze dried meals come in are too bulky and heavy for my tastes, either full or used. Never had a problem with leaks in ziplocs. They sit in a HMG Repack to hold heat while they rehydrate.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Mon 22 Apr, 2024 5:30 pm

Another thumbs up for Alps & Amici...As the above comments, expensive but o so tasty, just need to add dehy rice, pasta etc to fill them out.

Occasionally, their packets are still sealed after you've torn along the tear line.

Would like to see a couple of fishy meals, just to broaden the menu...
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker