Which Water filter do you use.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Which Water filter do you use.

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 2:42 pm

neilmny wrote:Ordered my Camelback quick connect kit 9/4/13 and received it yesterday....about 7 days........can't be sure but it looks
like it would. I had the Sawyer adaptor for some time and I think it took a couple of weeks to get here.

The Sawyer adaptor kit is to connect the Sawyer filter in line with your hydration pack.
The Camelback quick connect is to click in either the inline adadptor for filling or your bite valve for drinking.

Hope that helps.

IMG_2204.JPG

I ordered the above kit as shown through Amazon, Hopefully will turn up in time for my trip. Fingers Crossed. I can just imagine walking on a trail somewhere, coming by some water, all I do is gather some water with my Evernew 1.5L bag and attach to my mouth piece, squeeze the water into my bladder inside my pack, while wearing the pack. I couldn't resist this upgrade, Have to do it.

My other method was to stop, take pack of, somehow drag the bladder out of pack, filter water than somehow get that bladder back in my pack and put my pack back on and start walking.

I think I know which method I would have preferred. I had to order.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 3:21 pm

My hydrolink filter adapter just arrived and I've just constructed it all. Looks like this is going to be a good setup! :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:14 pm

Phillipsart wrote:
neilmny wrote:Ordered my Camelback quick connect kit 9/4/13 and received it yesterday....about 7 days........can't be sure but it looks
like it would. I had the Sawyer adaptor for some time and I think it took a couple of weeks to get here.

The Sawyer adaptor kit is to connect the Sawyer filter in line with your hydration pack.
The Camelback quick connect is to click in either the inline adadptor for filling or your bite valve for drinking.

Hope that helps.

IMG_2204.JPG

I ordered the above kit as shown through Amazon, Hopefully will turn up in time for my trip. Fingers Crossed. I can just imagine walking on a trail somewhere, coming by some water, all I do is gather some water with my Evernew 1.5L bag and attach to my mouth piece, squeeze the water into my bladder inside my pack, while wearing the pack. I couldn't resist this upgrade, Have to do it.

My other method was to stop, take pack of, somehow drag the bladder out of pack, filter water than somehow get that bladder back in my pack and put my pack back on and start walking.

I think I know which method I would have preferred. I had to order.

If it doesn't arrive in time you can still pull off the bite valve and attach the inline adapter directly to the hydration tube, for the meantime.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 12:17 am

Strider wrote:My hydrolink filter adapter just arrived and I've just constructed it all. Looks like this is going to be a good setup! :)

Have you used it yet?
It looks as if it's a nice simple set up
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rob A » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 12:33 am

Why do people persist with camelbacks?
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 7:26 am

Rob A wrote:Why do people persist with camelbacks?

I find bladders a good way to carry a large quantity of water.

What's the downside in your experience?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 7:26 am

Onestepmore wrote:
Strider wrote:My hydrolink filter adapter just arrived and I've just constructed it all. Looks like this is going to be a good setup! :)

Have you used it yet?

No as I'm still waiting on some other bits!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 9:08 am

Strider wrote:
Onestepmore wrote:

Have you used it yet?

No as I'm still waiting on some other bits!

LOL.
Blonde
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 9:18 am

Onestepmore wrote:LOL.
Blonde

Not the bits from you :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:21 am

Rob A wrote:Why do people persist with camelbacks?

I use the bladder for a reservoir, it all fits nicely in my pack which has pocket with a hydration port as they call it ( a semi sealed hole for the tube to come out.)
What else should I be using Rob?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:28 am

Onestepmore wrote:

Have you used it yet?

I've used mine it is easy and works perfectly, I just need to be mindful of where any drips or spills from the "contaminated" water go.
I always cover or remove and seal the filtered water bits in a ziplock before disconnecting and packing away the "contaminated" water bits.
Another good thing is my bite valve has a tap on it and so does the Camelback hydrolink. I'm not losing any water by accident here :wink: except in a total brain fade.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:37 am

neilmny wrote:Another good thing is my bite valve has a tap on it and so does the Camelback hydrolink.

I figured that was too much of a pain in the bum and put my bite valve directly on the hydrolink fitting. But I might decide I want the elbow back in it once I've actually used it.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:55 am

Strider wrote:
neilmny wrote:Another good thing is my bite valve has a tap on it and so does the Camelback hydrolink.

I figured that was too much of a pain in the bum and put my bite valve directly on the hydrolink fitting. But I might decide I want the elbow back in it once I've actually used it.

I thought about that too but decided that the tap on the hydralink was also insurance against letting air back into the system.
So basically, shut off hydralink, remove bite valve assembly, fit filter and bag with click in connector, then open the hydralink tap,
squeeze in water, shut off hydralink, remove bag and filter set up then refit the bit valve assembly. The only air getting in is what is
squeezed from the bag (if any).

In testing my set up I've found that I need to either fill the Sawyer bag chockers or get as much air as possible out to stop
it being injected into the hydration pack. Air in the hydration pack as it builds in volume each time I refill is taking valuable water space.
The air will compress to some extent but still takes valuable space.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:57 am

But what you've described has nothing to do with having the extra tap on the bite valve?

Air won't be injected into the hydration pack until you the Sawyer bag is nearly empty. Just don't squeeze it all out :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:02 am

Strider wrote:But what you've described has nothing to do with having the extra tap on the bite valve?

Air won't be injected into the hydration pack until you the Sawyer bag is nearly empty. Just don't squeeze it all out :)

Good points. :) The tap is an integral part of my bite valve so I'd need a different bite valve to change it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:10 am

neilmny wrote:
Strider wrote:But what you've described has nothing to do with having the extra tap on the bite valve?

Good points. :) The tap is an integral part of my bite valve so I'd need a different bite valve to change it.

The bite valve should be removable from the plastic its attached to. And should just slide over the wider of the two hydrolink adapters.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:33 am

It's not a Camelback bite valve, some other brand I can't recall. The yellow bit is the tap.

IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG (43.94 KiB) Viewed 24629 times
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 11:53 am

MLD are making some astonishing claims about the new Sawyer bags - even claiming that they are better than the Evernew bags :shock:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... cts_id=200
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 12:18 pm

Strider wrote:MLD are making some astonishing claims about the new Sawyer bags - even claiming that they are better than the Evernew bags :shock:

What they said is ..

Compared to the Evernew bladders they are slightly lighter, we think slightly tougher and for sure far less expensive.

Not sure I would describe that statement as being "astonishing claims" and whilst they are suggesting they are better, they are hardly going over board in their suggestion. After all they are only suggesting that they are slightly tougher and lighter.

I guess field use will determine if they are better or not, but at least Sawyer seem to have recognised at last that they had a problem.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Strider » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 12:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Strider wrote:MLD are making some astonishing claims about the new Sawyer bags - even claiming that they are better than the Evernew bags :shock:

What they said is ..

Compared to the Evernew bladders they are slightly lighter, we think slightly tougher and for sure far less expensive.

Not sure I would describe that statement as being "astonishing claims" and whilst they are suggesting they are better, they are hardly going over board in their suggestion. After all they are only suggesting that they are slightly tougher and lighter.

I guess field use will determine if they are better or not, but at least Sawyer seem to have recognised at last that they had a problem.

Andrew

Regardless of how they are saying it, it is a big claim to be making. Particularly in light of the tried and proven Evernew bags. I remain skeptical.

John Abela's blog on the topic is worth a read too
http://hikelighter.com/2013/04/08/sawye ... deas-tips/
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Sun 12 May, 2013 8:26 pm

MLD can do cheaper shipping than their standard option for small items like this. Picked up a Squeeze and some gaiters a couple of weeks ago.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 12 May, 2013 9:07 pm

My setup has arrived and it works a treat, in the past week i have not had to remove my water bladder from my pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 13 May, 2013 12:02 am

Strider wrote:Regardless of how they are saying it, it is a big claim to be making. Particularly in light of the tried and proven Evernew bags. I remain skeptical.

Having now handled both the new Sawyer bag and the Evernew bags, I have to admit the Sawyer bag does indeed feel stronger!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 13 May, 2013 12:03 am

Phillipsart wrote:My setup has arrived and it works a treat, in the past week i have not had to remove my water bladder from my pack.

Glad to hear its working well for you. I haven't used mine yet!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 04 Jun, 2013 12:05 pm

another interesting one on the market: the vapur explorer series microfilter
2.7 oz, $64 and comes with a 1L bottle collapsible.

https://vimeo.com/57383008#
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 9:37 am

KANANGRABOYD wrote:I use a steripen freedom, and made a "adapter" from a large Gatorade bottle ( BPL have a post on it), and can UV 1LT at a time ( 2 x steripen UV lamp rounds). If my water is crap ( almost never happens), I use a contraption made of cutting off a Gatorade bottle about 3rd the way down, then stuffing it with aquarium filter wool. It will filter out pretty much any "macro" debris. Weighs nothing and can replace for about 5 cents.
Don't know why so many people are against the Steripen - it is light, reliable and user friendly.

Similar. SteriPen Traveler paired with laboratory filter paper (cheap and readily available on eBay and other sources) when needed. With CR123 rechargeable being so cheap these days (eBay, DX.com etc), the desire to only stay with AA models is diminished. The more compact size is good both for backpacking as well as general international travels. As for UV treatment. Well, it's one of the standard medical grade sterilisation techniques, so there's absolutely no reason not to trust it. Given the potentials of the virus vector, I have far more confidence with UV sterilisation than traditional filtering techniques. The only better is boiling it.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mrpotter » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 12:21 pm

Interesting read guys. I'm in the market for a water filter, never actually owned one which is quite limiting.

Sawyer Squeeze does seem to be the ultimate - I didn't even know they existed until after reading this thread. I mostly like the idea that you can fill up a bag and filter it later, you're not bound to filtering the water while you're next to the creek.

$38 USD on Amazon is the best price I've seen - http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP131-Poin ... B005EHPVQW
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 12:47 pm

Make sure you get the SP129 as the SP131 was discontinued for reasons I'm sure Google will reveal. Highwater Filters were the cheapest I found, once postage was included.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mrpotter » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks - good advise. They're actually a tad cheaper too - $35 USD

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointOne-S ... B00B1OSU4W
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 2:15 pm

Does it ship to Australia? How much for postage?

*edit* Just checked and no it can't be shipped to Aus. Highwater can do it for US$50.90 shipped - good price IMO.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment