Gear problems and causes / solutions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gear problems and causes / solutions

Postby farefam » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 12:51 am

Problem: The on off button on my handheld Garmin Etrex20 gradually failed over time, becoming more difficult to apply enough pressure to it to get it to switch on with my finger. I then tried very carefully using a pen to press on the button, but eventually the waterproof gasket developed a small hole. Garmin refused to fix it at my expense, even though the on/off button and the gasket looks to be exactly the same as in the current model. Instead they offered me a small discount on replacing the entire GPS unit with a new one. As I don't walk too many times a year, that would have been an expensive fix.

Solution: I cut through the waterproof gasket to properly examine the on/off switch. The switch is on the circuit board and it still worked. It merely needed something long enough and of the correct diameter to press on it. So I went to Jaycar and jury rigged a way to physically press the circuit board contact switch on and off, using a couple of small components. I then covered the new arrangement with some Gorilla tape and tested it several times.

Whilst the GPS is now no longer waterproof, it otherwise works just fine. Total cost, just a couple of bucks from Jaycar and the tape that I already had.

To keep it dry out bush, I just keep the whole GPS in a small freezer bag while I am walking and don't expose it to the rain. I should get several more years use out of it and when I do eventually choose to replace it (probably when my PLB battery next needs replacing) i will probably get one product that combines GPS location and emergency contact/signalling and 2 ways comms instead.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 8:35 am

A Garmin costs several hundred dollars and should last for many years. There's a consumer concept called fit for purpose. If an expensive item like a Garmin wears out too quickly it's arguable that Australian Consumer Law applies. That said the jaycar remedy appeals.

I had a similar problem with my Petzl head torch. over time the button deteriorated, probably plastic falling apart with time. The cover had come off and I could not find a way to add a "button extender", so I bought a new torch. They last 8-10 years, so around $5 a year is quite acceptable. I found a very old torch on a recent walk, same problem. The tiny circuit board switch works, and I'm attempting to fix this so that the button can work again.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 7:28 pm

Reminds me of a Petzl Ion that was great to start with the the button went screwy. Not a button or switch in the regular sense, holding a finger to the spot activated the light and modes. Maybe it's in a box somewhere or at the tip... The next generation can out but I had moved to another style and now like the metal cylinder one button type, Fenix.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Equipment