Hammocks !

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:10 pm

Maybe I'm wrong to put in a item not turn up dispute with Paypal, but I think I done the right thing for myself. The order was for over $100.00 worth of whoopieslings and lines, I would guess if nothing turns up in the next 4 or 5 weeks, paypal will pay me the money I'm out of pocket, so that way I don't miss out and I can reorder the items, but after receiving the reaction from the sender, I would think I'd probably will order elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned I've done the correct thing for myself.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Hammocks !

Postby mattmacman » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:17 pm

Fair enough, consumers really need to stand up for themselves against these companies as consumers always get pushed around!
mattmacman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:35 pm

mattmacman wrote:Fair enough, consumers really need to stand up for themselves against these companies as consumers always get pushed around!

Thanks Mattmacman for your support. Things have been known to get lost in the post. The postage system is not 100% failsafe. I've had two laptops go missing in the post so far this year. I deal with lots of freight, as I own my own computer business. sometimes items are sent to wrong address, other times to the wrong city and sometimes they don't turn up, like the two laptops. Insurance is a great thing.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 11:45 pm

You know, the biggest problem I have in business, is suppliers saying they have sent the items, when they have not. They do tend to lie a lot. Most of the time, if something don't turn up, from my experience 9 times out of ten it's because the items where not sent.

I'm not in anyway implying this is what the senders have done in this situation, but one of the order I'm waiting on, not saying which one, I have suspicion on. I been dealing with stuff like this for a long time, I can usually tell.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jellybean » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 6:41 am

Phillipsart wrote:
Stuntman wrote:Same boat as you Phil,

Waiting on my hammock (warbonnet), my underquilt (hammock gear) and some line and clips (Dutch) - all different suppliers - ordered about the same time as yourself. They have been in transit for weeks.

Something must be going on (maybe Gerry Harvey is on the USPS board ;^) ) as USPS is normally 7 - 10 days for me.

At least I have my hennessy and a neolight as an alternative
lodged
Shawn
Following the thread here and over at hammockforums.

Hi Shawn, the waiting is terrible. Yes, it's very strange. One of my orders, ordered 4 days later than the first two orders, turned up at my door two weeks ago, I don't know what's going on. In the past I've had items turn up in 4 days to my door from the states, most of the time one week the most.

I've actually placed a item not turn up dispute with paypal for my whoopieslings, only to hurry the process for a refund so I can reorder if the items don't turn up, from what i understand paypal refunds the money after a investigation, as that order left almost 4 weeks ago from the states. Paypal disputes is a long process, basically once you open a dispute, nothing is done for 20 days from the date the dispute is lodged. I would figure if the item would turn up it would arrive within 20 days from now. And after the 20 days if item don't turn up, paypal will than investigate, adding more delays. But this did not go down to well with the sender. He didn't like it one bit, got to say, I'm surprised with the reaction I received from sender.

Hi Phil,

I don't think you've ever mentioned which mode of USPS delivery you paid for? (There are at least three modes that I know of - Express, Priority, Standard) - they each vary in price (most expensive to least expensive as listed) and delivery time (from memory 5 - 6; 6 - 10; or 15 - 25 business days to major ports as listed. That shipping time doesn't take into account if you live outside of major ports, which you do, or delays in Customs or the Australian postal system (USPS has no control over that). If you just have standard USPS shipping, then you have another week plus to wait yet before you could reasonably expect the goods to arrive. If you ordered during a time when a lot of people where ordering from the US on-line (which you did; I think the Australian dollar hit around 1.10USD around the time you ordered), then you can expect further delays.

While I understand your angst, it's important to see things from both sides. The time for something to be delivered from the US, once the relevant business ships it, depends on:
    - what mode of delivery you paid for (it could be a few days to a week if you paid through the nose for FEDEX or UPS; it could be weeks - I've had things take 6 or 7 weeks and I'm in Sydney - if you just pay for standard USPS delivery);
    - how many people are shipping at the same time - if it's a period of high activity because of favourable exchange rates, then you can expect delays;
    - whether there are any delays in Customs.

The business owner who has sold you the goods has no control over what happens to the goods once they give them to the shipper. This might explain why the shipper was less than impressed with your Paypal dispute (especially if you only paid for standard USPS shipping because you couldn't reasonably have expected it to have arrived yet). (I have to say, I've shipped ALOT of stuff from both the UK and the US and, while there have definitely been delays in shipping (especially with USPS), I've only ever once not had a parcel turn up and the shipper immediately dispatched a replacement.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby forest » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 7:13 am

Phillipsart wrote:I'm not in anyway implying this is what the senders have done in this situation, but one of the order I'm waiting on, not saying which one, I have suspicion on

Not sure who you are reffering too, But I'm not asking.

All I will say is I have purchased gear from nearly all of the hammock cottage guys and gals in the US.....
Some have had a bad rep for saying things are posted when they are not. I have only had this happen twice and not with a vendor you are using.

What I will say is Stu from whoopieslings.com would have to bethe best guy I have dealt with out of the lot !!
Fast to respond via email and was very quick to ship the two large orders I have placed with him (One order within 24 hours even though it was some custom length tarp lines + stuff)
I can only comment on what I have had happen first hand but Stu is one of the good guys in my eyes.
Hope you can sort things out with him.

USPS has been getting a flogging over the last few months with parcels to OZ due to the $$.
I have noticed some orders taking longer than they should.

What I would do is ring Aust Post and talk to them.
They can track a parcel, even a USPS one and give you detailed information (Normally more detailed than the info the USPS website puts out sometimes)
I had a parcel once that was showing as sent and in customs Sydney once.... sat there for 3 weeks (apparently....) When I did call up not very happy with Australian customs it turned out the package was in Mexico :shock:
All the while the USPS site showed otherwise.... But Aust Post gave me the correct info over the phone.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 9:03 am

Paid for Priority Mail on all orders.

I have no doubt Stu sent the order within hours of order being placed.

I'll call Australia Post.

One of my packages must have skipped through customs with no delay, hence why it's turned up in 8 days.

I'm still surprised with the response with the paypal dispute. The package still has 20 days to turn up before I can escalate it to Paypal. And than I can imagine Paypal would take some time to investigate, before deciding wether to refund me the money. Surely 5 weeks is more than sufficient time. I still think I've done the right thing.

Ive decided I'm going to cancel the claim. seeing it's upset the sender. I'm sure he will be happy when notification comes through dispute was cancelled, probably come to the conclusion items turned up.
After all it's only 100.00 worth, if it was a thousand, that's a different story.

If the whoopieslings don't turn up, I'll just use the rope supplied with hammock for now, and maybe try to source some material locally and make my own ridge lines and whoopies. After all it doesn't look all that difficult to make a set of whoopies.

Will post some setup images upon arrival of hammock. I've got a perfect spot in the backyard for my first hammock hang. There's only two trees in my backyard and would you believe it there 15 foot apart. Got the chainsaw out. Going to trim the branches.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 11:03 am

If you cancel the claim you wont be able to place another... If the postage has been this slow I think you have every right to have them stress about it. A paypal dispute, even a claim doesnt mean you cant pay for what you receive, just places the onus of their honesty, not yours. Stick to your guns i say, tell them to take a deep breath ; )

PS.. Your jacket is on the way, give it a couple of days :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 1:09 pm

Nuts wrote:If you cancel the claim you wont be able to place another... If the postage has been this slow I think you have every right to have them stress about it. A paypal dispute, even a claim doesnt mean you cant pay for what you receive, just places the onus of their honesty, not yours. Stick to your guns i say, tell them to take a deep breath ; )

PS.. Your jacket is on the way, give it a couple of days :wink:

Hi Nuts,

Do you mean this jacket? It's already here.
Attachments
IMG_4754.jpg
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stuntman » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 8:24 pm

I am not to worried at this stage and happy to wait. Most of the cottage guys I have dealt with have been pretty good.

In terms of paypal.... well they have to comply with Australian law whatever their policy has you beleive. If the items do not turn up I will lodge a fraud claim with the credit card company. Once this is done its in the hands of credit card company (as they "own" the products untill they have been delivered). Note that Paypal can't stand this. They will threaten you with all sorts of claims! :x trust me - but effectively as conduit for the transaction, they have (strong words here) aided and abetted the fraud - and the law in terms of credit cards and consumer protection is quite clear. (even it is the very fine text of the policy)

Shawn

Note that there is probably somebody more suitably qualified on the forums to comment in this regard than I.
Last edited by Stuntman on Wed 10 Aug, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuntman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mattmacman » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 8:27 pm

I love it how paypal now has insurance (im not sure if they used to) it makes shopping online a much easier experience!
mattmacman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:22 am

Yesterday, I went hiking fir the day, hoping to fight of this last bit of the flu I have. Seams to have worked well. Feel a lot better today.

I found a card in my letter box when I returned home for a parcel from Australia post. This got me a little excited as there's only the one parcel I'm waiting on.

Could it be my hammock?

Time will tell.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:28 am

So I eagerly race of to the local post office today right on 8.30am. There's a huge line out to the door. Waited 20 minutes in line and finally handed over my notice the postie left in my mail box.

Do you have ID says the man behind the counter? doe. I left my wallet with my drivers license in the car. Would not give me the parcel without ID.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:31 am

So I race out to the car, grabbed my wallet and joined in line once again. This time it was only a 10 minute wait. Handed the card over, and guess what happened next?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:37 am

You had the left bower, they the right? :lol:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:38 am

sorry Phil... hey, Great to see an end? to the saga... photos in action? (watch out for those drop snakes up there..)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:41 am

The man hands me over the package, and it's a little USPS Priority mail box. Grabbed the parcel after showing my drivers license. And raced back to car. Couldn't wait to get back home, so I open the package in my car, and there starring at me is a hammock, fly and under quilt.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:44 am

have a look back at the tracking when you get a chance phil, be interested if it shows any update.. im waiting for some boots, I think theyre walking here..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Nuts. Yes it's about time this thing turned up.

And that's not all that turned up. Also received all the whoopieslings in the post.

I'm typing all this out on my iPad laying in my Warbonnet Hammock, and let me tell you, this thing is one comfortable hammock to lay in.

I have taken some photos, but I'm not getting out of my hammock, sorry you going to have to wait for photos.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:49 am

Nuts wrote:have a look back at the tracking when you get a chance phil, be interested if it shows any update.. im waiting for some boots, I think theyre walking here..

Just checked for you as I lay in my hammock

Detailed Results:

Missed delivery - Scheduled for another delivery attempt today, August 11, 2011, 1:01 pm, AUSTRALIA
Arrival at Post Office, August 11, 2011, 7:24 am, AUSTRALIA
Processed Through Sort Facility, August 04, 2011, 3:11 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, August 04, 2011, 3:11 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Electronic Shipping Info Received, July 19, 2011
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:56 am

ha ha, enjoy.. hmm, thats a big gap in the first two notices, perhaps usp isnt entirely at fault...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:00 pm

Nuts wrote:ha ha, enjoy.. hmm, thats a big gap in the first two notices, perhaps usp isnt entirely at fault...

Yes USPS appears to be not at fault. There's only two reasons what the delay is, one is US customs holding package from the 19th July to the 4th august. Or supplier did not deliver till the 4th August.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:01 pm

Bummer, I'm going to have to get up now. Must go eat, otherwise I'll still be laying in here.

Will post images shortly.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stuntman » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:36 pm

Good news Phil,

Hopefully mine will be waiting at home for me at this afternoon - (early next week at the latest). Keen to see how you go in the warbonnet underquilt. I went a different route and got a full length quilt from hammockgear.

Shawn
Stuntman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:39 pm

Here's some images.
Attachments
IMG_4779.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg
IMG_4782.jpg
IMG_4785.jpg
IMG_4787.jpg
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:40 pm

One more image.
Attachments
IMG_4788.jpg
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:41 pm

Stuntman wrote:Good news Phil,

Hopefully mine will be waiting at home for me at this afternoon - (early next week at the latest). Keen to see how you go in the warbonnet underquilt. I went a different route and got a full length quilt from hammockgear.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn.
I hope you don't have to wait to much longer.
I have not tried the Under Quilt. About to hook it on now and give it a try.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hammocks !

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm back laying in my hammock now. To try out the Warbonnet 3-season Under Quilt.

I'm very happy with it, easy to setup and fits perfectly. Very lightweight and packs into a very small volume size.

The whole setup is very compact when packed away.

Found it all very simple and quick to erect. The whoopee slings are great. Not one knot needed to be tied.
The prussic knots have no problems holding the tension on the Superfly. What does concern me are the s-biners used to connect the fly to the prussic on the tarp ridge line. Maximum they can hold is 2.2kg. I don't think there strong enough. I'll be replacing those quick smart.

I'm going to take all this gear with me next week on a one week solo hike, I might this weekend go camp overnight, to put this gear to some real tests.

Comfort wise, no problems there. Very impressed with the comfort. I just can't see myself using a tent on my hikes anymore.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stibb » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 1:49 pm

What do you do when there are no suitable trees? :?
Stibb

Postby Stuntman » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 2:47 pm

With my hennessy I use my paddle halves and set it up as a bivy on the ground - or if no bugs around just the tarp and a neoair - but much more comfortable to hang from the trees.
Stuntman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment