Hammocks !

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Hammocks !

Postby ofuros » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:04 am

For the hammock lovers out there, just a little something out side the square.... :wink:

http://www.madtree.fi/
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 11:01 am

ofuros wrote:For the hammock lovers out there, just a little something out side the square.... :wink:

How on earth do you get in and out? Abseil??

PS my goodies have all arrived - hammock, tarp, bits and bobs - and the under and top quilts were delivered today.
When I have some time on the weekend I am going to have a play with all the rather daunting bits of string , and see if I can actually get this thing strung up.
I can forsee hubby sitting there smugly on the verandah with a beer calmly looking on in amusement.........
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 1:16 pm

Onestepmore wrote: How on earth do you get in and out? Abseil??

Pretend you'll a caterpillar & wiggle your way in.....inch by inch. :lol:

I'm sure you'll find the time to play.....its very hard to keep your hands off brand new bits and bobs.
Hubby's got the right idea, supervising from the shady sidelines...with a coldie in his hand. :wink:

Enjoy your goodies, Onestepmore.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nq111 » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 5:24 pm

Onestepmore wrote:PS my goodies have all arrived - hammock, tarp, bits and bobs - and the under and top quilts were delivered today.
When I have some time on the weekend I am going to have a play with all the rather daunting bits of string , and see if I can actually get this thing strung up.
I can forsee hubby sitting there smugly on the verandah with a beer calmly looking on in amusement.........

What you can wait til the weekend? Amazing self control :D

Have fun with the set-up. My standard advice to all new hammockers is don't be surprised if you don't sleep well the first night or first few nights. As long as you find lying in it comfortable persevere a little - it will pass. I think some of us have a long ingrained setting to not sleep hanging in midair and it takes a little while for that to reset enough to relax that last little bit and get a really good sleep.

Though I understand some sleep like a log from the first night too.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 7:36 pm

As soon i laid in my hammock i was comfortable, do your homework, set the hammock as designed. Most manufacturers have excellent setup videos.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Tue 06 Nov, 2012 7:48 pm

Phillipsart wrote:As soon i laid in my hammock i was comfortable, do your homework, set the hammock as designed. Most manufacturers have excellent setup videos.

So was I - but took me a week to sleep well.

I wasn't uncomfortable at all - just something in my subconscious was resisting and getting good sleep was hard to begin with. I understand this is not uncommon, neither is crashing out first time :)
nq111

Postby MadTree » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 8:53 pm

Onestepmore wrote:
ofuros wrote:For the hammock lovers out there, just a little something out side the square.... :wink:

PS my goodies have all arrived - hammock, tarp, bits and bobs - and the under and top quilts were delivered today.

Hi,
I'm one of the founders of MadTree and when I spotted this discussion I decided to chip in. Getting in and out of the Tarseer is really easy, we've recently released a video that might shine some light on that matter: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HTRrbCyOOs&hd=1[/youtube]

We also just released a video on our ultralight tarp, rae: [youtube]http://youtu.be/7OgU0NHPSys[/youtube]

It's really nice to see that the Tarseer is gathering attention all over the globe.
MadTree
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: MadTree
Region: Other Country

Postby MadTree » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 8:53 pm

Onestepmore wrote:

Hi,
I'm one of the founders of MadTree and when I spotted this discussion I decided to chip in. Getting in and out of the Tarseer is really easy, we've recently released a video that might shine some light on that matter:

We also just released a video on our ultralight tarp, rae:

It's really nice to see that the Tarseer is gathering attention all over the globe.
Last edited by tasadam on Wed 07 Nov, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT by moderator - fixed youtube tags.
MadTree
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: MadTree
Region: Other Country

Postby tasadam » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 9:00 pm

I was going through the new members list looking to see whether there were any spammers to take care of. I stumbled on the member MadTree and checked out the profile, a bit of snooping and I found this -
http://www.madtree.fi/products/tarseer.html

Too good not to share so I found this topic, by the time I got to the topic MadTree has posted.
I reckon this looks the ducks guts for hammockers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Fri 03 May, 2013 11:51 am

tasadam wrote:Too good not to share so I found this topic, by the time I got to the topic MadTree has posted.
I reckon this looks the ducks guts for hammockers!

Pretty close to being the ducks nuts, tasadam.....pretty close.

Lost in mother nature.....
ofuros
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Sleeping Pad Recommendation for Sky Bed [Re: Hammocks !]

Postby bluetotto » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 1:27 pm

Thought I would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Just got a Hammock Bliss Skybed Bugfree delivered and hoping to head out to try it out this weekend.

It's my very first time trying hammock camping and hoping to get some advice/suggestion a sleeping pad I should be using with it (air/self inflating/form)

I have three Thermarests - NeoAir X-therm Large, Prolite Small 3/4, Zlite Sol and will be taking all three of them to try out but appreciate if someone could share their experience with using different pads with the hammock.

Cheers.
bluetotto
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby perfectlydark » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 2:57 pm

Personally i hate using mats in a hammock, many people have no issues but all the sliding around, falling off,bah not worth it.
In warmer months you dont need anything. An underquilt is good when you need the insolation though (quilt that hangs underneath the hammock)
perfectlydark

Postby Muttl3y » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:22 am

Sorry I can't comment on pads, Iike PDiddy said, keeping it in place is a pain.
I personally use and UG and TQ in cooler months.
Muttl3y
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewa » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 3:36 pm

I have a Hennessy underneath entry hammock, and the main problem I had with mats was trying to get into the hammock and get them positioned correctly. Also, as I move around a bit at night, I did need to reposition the mat a bit, but it wasn't that bad. A top or side entry hammock may be easier. Plenty of people love them. Personally I would prefer an ultralight tent/tarp setup - it is lighter and less bulky, and better in wet weather - my hammock (1100ish g)/quilt(450-700g depending on which one)/underquilt(500g) = 2-2.3kg; my quilt, tent (hexamid twin ~500g I think) and sleeping mat (400g) = 1300-1600g, and offers better weather protection and storage and cooking under cover.

As you will have found on the net, sleeping in a hammock is also a lot colder than sleeping on the ground.

Anyway, enjoy the experimenting!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby simonm » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 6:48 pm

I cant stand using a pad in a hammock. It totally changes the feel of the hammock, and comfort is one of the main reasons people use hammocks. Making an under quilt is a fairly simple process, this is one I made the other day with climashield, and will put up some instructions soon.

Under quilt 028_640x480.JPG
Under quilt 028_640x480.JPG (82 KiB) Viewed 20973 times

Under quilt 032_640x480.JPG
Under quilt 032_640x480.JPG (104.25 KiB) Viewed 20973 times
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 7:00 pm

Im another vote for the underquilt. I have a down leighlo but Ive also made a synthetic one like Simon. Its a great relatively easy DIY project and will keep you toasty and warm

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 7:39 pm

the best use I found for a pad was in high wind. they do work well, but the underquilt is more comfy, but I don't think that should stop anyone who needs insulation, and that includes me even if its "warm" by most standards. I found the best method was to start off with the mat fully inflated, climb in, and then crack the valve a bit at a a time to find a sweet spot. you can get a bit of stiffness to keep the shoulder squeeze away, or let it wrap you right up. give it a try, I'm sure you will find something that works.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Thatoutdoorsyguy » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 6:51 am

Hi all. Question for everyone regarding UQ's. I live in Brisbane and spend most of my time around the Scenic Rim, Lamington and the surrounding National Parks. I'm about to pull he trigger on my TQ and UQ order and would like some feedback about temp ratings. I plan on going a 40F UQ with 1lb over stuff as I think that this will see me through the majority of my hiking climate conditions. Given the frequency of -Zero evenings aligned with when I will be out, and my ability to wear thermals on such evenings, would the 40F with overstuff be workable or should I go the 30F. My concern is overheating during the warmer months as I tend to sleep warm. Thanks. Drop Bear.
Thatoutdoorsyguy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby simonm » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 7:37 am

Drop Bear - its easier to get cooler by venting the under quilt than it is to get warmer, so the 30 under quilt may be better for you. It's always wiser to go warmer on the under insulation than the top in a hammock, so you may get away with a 40 top quilt.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 12:22 pm

As Simon says, Drop Bear, you can vent the 30f to cool down if you need to.

Add an Under Cover to your future equip list too...it stops those mountain breezes from stealing all your UQ's stored heat throughout the night. Also adds roughly 5c more warmth when needed.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 30 Jan, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Sleeping Pad Recommendation for Sky Bed [Re: Hammocks !]

Postby ofuros » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 12:58 pm

bluetotto wrote:Thought I would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Just got a Hammock Bliss Skybed Bugfree delivered and hoping to head out to try it out this weekend.

It's my very first time trying hammock camping and hoping to get some advice/suggestion a sleeping pad I should be using with it (air/self inflating/form)

I have three Thermarests - NeoAir X-therm Large, Prolite Small 3/4, Zlite Sol and will be taking all three of them to try out but appreciate if someone could share their experience with using different pads with the hammock.

Cheers.

The Skybed has a diagonal sewn in sleeve for the sleeping pad
which stops it moving around during the night...still playing with mine
so I can't offer any suggestions on pads yet.
Straight up i did add a couple of side pullouts to keep the fly netting
off my face while sleeping...didn't want those buzzing mozzies
making a meal of my face while I snooze.
Will add some more comments as I get to know it better
over the coming weeks & months.
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 30 Jan, 2016 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Thatoutdoorsyguy » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have sent an email to Hammock Gear to work out the best approach. I definitely know a 20F will be to warm for what I want. Even with it venting. So a 40 with overstuff to reach the 30F mark will be my goal. Going to stick with a standard fill 40 TQ...
Thatoutdoorsyguy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nq111 » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 4:50 pm

Got to agree with Simonm.

A huge benefit of hammocks are how cool they are to sleep in. But the flipside of this is that without good underinsulation you can quickly get too cold no matter how warm of gear you have on top. I find I need underinsulation if the temperature during the night is going to get below about 20 degrees C - that limit is higher if there is lots of air movement.

There is no way you will be too warm in the conditions described with a slightly more conservative underquilt, but there is a good chance you could get too cold with a slightly optimistic underquilt. Get the 30F.
nq111

Postby Rico » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 10:52 pm

The other alternative is to use a hammock specifically designed for a mat, like the AMOK draumr 3.
The advantage is that you can use different inflatable mattress depending on the weather conditions, and it is perfectly suitable even for cold Norwegian winters with the right insulated mattress.
Rico
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.adventurefriends.com.au

Postby Muttl3y » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 2:35 pm

Drop Bear, I have both TQ and UQ in the 40F, that is going to keep you toastie down around the 5-10C mark easily even without the over stuff.
Muttl3y
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Sleeping Pad Recommendation for Sky Bed [Re: Hammocks !]

Postby ofuros » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 3:19 pm

bluetotto wrote:Thought I would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Cheers.

Been playing around with my Skybed Bug Free....

Thermarest Zlite, accordian style foam pad..an absolute nightmare to wriggle up that pad sleeve. Keeps wanting to fold back up. :lol:

Roman el-cheapo, self inflating 3/4, inflate & shove down the sleeve, easy. Worked well in the warm weather
we've been having here in S.E Qld lately. Added a Under Cover to kill any sneaky breezes.

Klymit Inertia X Frame, swiss cheese looking model full length, inflate & shove.
Again worked well but needed the help of an Under Cover to stop those cold spots.

An Under Quilt definitely has a broader sweet spot than the pad when it come to warmth.
I could feel a draft along the sides of the pads, when on my back & in my side sleeping position. Micro movements throughout night
to re-position body on pad & to adjust Top Quilt.

The added side pullouts worked well...bug net was still too close to my face but I fixed that by threading the net suspension through my
rap rings & back onto that bright yellow exterior loop on the netting above my head.

Internal pockets were well positioned opposite side to head (held my notepad,phone & headlamp) & the stuff sack sewn to the outside of the
hammock holds a 1.5lt water bottle easily.

Hammock suspension came like this....way to short & with two ends, re-tied it so its one long length, more flexible that way.

DSCF0758 (Medium).JPG

Anyway, slept as well as I knew I would & after a few minor mods to suit this snorasaurus....its now working to my liking. :wink:

Hope some of this drivel helps, Bluetotto. Enjoy your new Hammock Bliss....oh and experiment with pad insulations to suit your specific location.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 11:26 am

Tree trunks & swaying canopies....Bellbirds, Wallaby's, Kookaburras, ants & mozzies. 8)
Main Range NP, Qld.

DSCF5557 (Medium).JPG
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks for necroing this thread!

I recently found another reason to prefer a hammock over a tent: leeches!

I did an overnighter in the Bunyip State Forest (unfortunately recently burnt out in a bush fire).
Within a minute of arriving at my campsite I had my first leech. By the time I had my hammock strung I had 4.
I then got into my hammock and had great pleasure in de-leeching my legs. Once done I could sleep soundly knowing there was no way that leeches could attack during the night.

Packing up in the morning consisted of careful planning ensuring that I spent the minimum time with feet on the ground before moving my gear to a leech-free spot and packing it all away.

I expect that if I had used a t*nt I would have been attacked again during the pack down.

Reason #27 for preferring a hammock over a t*nt!
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 1:18 pm

Cheers Chris.
I was actually look for a campsite pic thread, couldn't find that easily so just chucked it in the hammock thread.
Voila, resurrection shuffle !

You need eye's in the back of your head with those stealthy satanic leeches.

P.S. I knew the thread i was after was in here somewhere.... :)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10955&hilit=Camp+shots
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment