Moment V's SD Lightning XT1

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Moment V's SD Lightning XT1

Postby Lizzy » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 8:06 am

Hi,
I currently have an old Macpac Eclipse for solo hiking & its zipper is starting to die + it is 2.5kg so am looking to get a new solo shelter & with the Aussie dollar :D
i am thinking of a TT Moment or Sierra deigns Lightning XT 1
http://www.moontrail.com/sierra-designs ... g-xt-1.php
The lightning is a bit heavier but is a good price + has a bit more vestibule space
The moment is great & lightweight, but by the time I added liner & crossing pole it wouldn't be too much lighter
Anyone had the Lightning & can comment on how it performs.
I am looking at using it 3 season
Don't want to spend the extra on a Hilleberg so beloved by most here...
Any comments appreciated
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Moment V's SD Lightning XT1

Postby Franco » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 7:37 am

Warning :Biased comment ...
(since noone else hascommented)

I just finished adding the liner to my Moment and fitted one for a mate of mine.
mine is 1110 g (seam sealed,liner, 6 pegs, two guylines inc) his is 1330g ,same as m ine plus the extra pole. ( I take spare pegs)
So you are correct that the weight is close enogh, but keep in mind that you need to add the weight of another 2 pegs and a guyline for the SD to vent correctly.

The SD has a bigger vestibule, but the wall slopes inward the Moment outward.
The SD is freestanding but the "American" way, that is the inner (tent in the US) stands up by itself , you need another 4 pegs (that I can see ) to hold the fly down.
That also means if it rains during set up or take down the inner gets wet. Not a big deal for some, it is for others.
The Moment was designed to have a fast set up , stands up with two pegs , another two are required for the reccomended pole guylines .
The extra pole is not really needed most of the time , so in that case you can save about 200g.

You may also find some interesting comments here :
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=28811

If the link does not work, it is in the Gear forum (Akto vs Moment) at Backpakinglight.com

Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Moment V's SD Lightning XT1

Postby Lizzy » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks Franco.... was waiting for your reply :)
will think over it for a few more days- yes the moment is very tempting!
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment