One Piece Bushwalking Sleepwear

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Piece Bushwalking Sleepwear

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:13 am

I find sleeping bag liners annoying - I'm a restless sleeper and they get tangled in my legs. I don't like wearing thermals to bed either, most of the time. Too hot.

However, if I do neither, the sleeping bag gets really smelly, really quickly, and I don't like washing sleeping bags either. So I end up putting up with the silk liner most of the time, or thermals on very cold nights (not synthetic ones - they stink even worse). The silk liner is great for the really warm nights (not a lot of them in Tassie), when you don't actually need the sleeping bag at all (at least not until later at night).

Now, here is what I really want: Silk one-piece pyjamas with built in feet. Like a baby's sleep suit, but adult sized and made of silk instead of polar fleece (and with a bottom opening zip for those late night walks). This way, I get all the advantages of the silk liner (keeps the sleeping bag cleaner and fresher), and none of the disadvantages (tangled up in the loose-bag liner). I've yet to talk my wife (a seamstress) into making it for me (out of a silk liner, I reckon).

Oh, plus it would be very fashionable, of course.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Sleeping bag liners?

Postby ollster » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 3:58 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Now, here is what I really want: Silk one-piece pyjamas with built in feet.

You mean like a silk snuggie with little feet? Oh my god that's genius. The ultimate in white trash luxury... ;-)
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Ent » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 4:05 pm

ollster wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:Now, here is what I really want: Silk one-piece pyjamas with built in feet.

You mean like a silk snuggie with little feet? Oh my god that's genius. The ultimate in white trash luxury... ;-)

Does that mean I need to move to a trailler park to get a set? :lol:

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 5:45 pm

ollster wrote:

I wonder if I could convince any of the big companies to start producing them... And I wonder what interesting names they would come up with for such a product.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 6:28 pm

just buy the items separately sew them together yourself, bypass 'she who has taste' ( :) ). I know they would look rough if i sewed them, but they'd hold, surely you could do good enuff?

How about 'sluggies' lol
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby etrangere » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 2:14 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I find liners annoying - I'm a restless sleeper and they get tangled in my legs. I don't like wearing thermals to bed either, most of the time. Too hot.

However, if I do neither, the sleeping bag gets really smelly, really quickly, and I don't like washing sleeping bags either. So I end up putting up with the silk liner most of the time, or thermals on very cold nights (not synthetic ones - they stink even worse). The silk liner is great for the really warm nights (not a lot of them in Tassie), when you don't actually need the sleeping bag at all (at least not until later at night).

Now, here is what I really want: Silk one-piece pyjamas with built in feet. Like a baby's sleep suit, but adult sized and made of silk instead of polar fleece (and with a bottom opening zip for those late night walks). This way, I get all the advantages of the silk liner (keeps the sleeping bag cleaner and fresher), and none of the disadvantages (tangled up in the loose-bag liner). I've yet to talk my wife (a seamstress) into making it for me (out of a silk liner, I reckon).

Oh, plus it would be very fashionable, of course.

Try Hard Yakka lightweight cotton overalls with some socks. Roll up only slightly larger than a standard S2S cotton liner. Also have worn them over thermals when I have needed to wash a set of day clothes in the evening.
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby rsriddle_76 » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks 'Drifting', do you find that you slick to the reactors while you sleep? Think i might have to go to a shop and look at the material to see how it feels. if you end up convincing the wife to go into production of the silk one pice 'Son of a beach' i'll take two !!
rsriddle_76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 7:34 pm

One piece sleeping gear is really not a good idea, especially in colder climates.
I took my Polartech undersuit for a walk, once. I repeat: once. Not so bad for blokes if they have a fly but for a female, or if you need to do anything else, you have to expose an awful lot of body to the cold night air.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby corvus » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 8:08 pm

north-north-west wrote:One piece sleeping gear is really not a good idea, especially in colder climates.
I took my Polartech undersuit for a walk, once. I repeat: once. Not so bad for blokes if they have a fly but for a female, or if you need to do anything else, you have to expose an awful lot of body to the cold night air.

:lol: That is why the old style combinations( long johns) had a "bunker lid" ie a buttoned flap at the back that could be undone just like Salopettes drop seat.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 16 Jul, 2010 8:12 pm

Yes, it's just a matter of having the right openings in the right places.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: One Piece Buswhalking Sleepwear

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 5:12 pm

I must have had this conversation with some friends when visiting them last week. My wife has just got a phone call from them asking her to tell me about the new Peter Alexander (Australian Designer, apparently) "Onesies" adult one-piece pyjamas. Cotton elastane (T-Shirt type material) though. I wonder if he could be convinced to make them in rip-stop silk, and with the foot pieces included.

At $80 for the cotton versions, I dread to think what the silk ones would cost from him.

There's a pink one for the ladies:
Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 5.12.04 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 5.12.04 PM.png (43.53 KiB) Viewed 12459 times

Then there's this blue one for the blokes:
Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 5.07.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 5.07.25 PM.png (62.7 KiB) Viewed 12459 times

...and I think this one is the best, even if the bumps are in all the wrong places for me:
Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 5.07.04 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-07-19 at 5.07.04 PM.png (60.47 KiB) Viewed 12459 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: One Piece Bushwalking Sleepwear

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 6:24 pm

That blue one looks a bit like i'd imaigne people from the far south of america (or black bobs) to be wearing, put a straw hat on it, a bearded face with a piece of straw in the mouth and bingo, Jimbob!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 6:34 pm

How about a fleece footie?

:mrgreen:

Someone probably makes a silk one...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 7:13 pm

They would be good if they had a drop seat :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Liamy77 » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 7:18 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
ollster wrote:

I wonder if I could convince any of the big companies to start producing them... And I wonder what interesting names they would come up with for such a product.

You kinda want a Wondersuit in an adult size Hmmmmm 8)
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 8:17 pm

Liamy77 wrote:You kinda want a Wondersuit in an adult size Hmmmmm 8)

Exactly. I always told my wife that if I had to be a single dad for any tragic reason, my kids would live in wonder suits all day every day (and she was disgusted with me). I then said that I may end up living in them myself (which didn't get me any more brownie points either), but would prefer something a bit more like the one-piece outfit that Graham Gardener used to wear in the Goodies.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 8:19 pm

photohiker wrote:How about a fleece footie?

:mrgreen:

Someone probably makes a silk one...

Nice! footed AND drop-seated! Now if only they had them in silk.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:00 pm

(scarily) Nik i've had the same conversation with mates before too!! i think i would be happy in one aswell but it might scare the possums... maybe a sleeping bag with sleeves just to finish it off!

My wife informs me that you can get adult sized suits on "adult" internet sites.... :shock: I knew i married her for a reason!
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!

Postby magura » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 7:00 pm

Nothing with booties, but have seen a few union suits in merino lately, while looking online for thermal underwear.
Can only find this one at the moment
http://www.wool-underwear.com/securesto ... user4=mens
didn't rate the usability of site, but some of the goods looks ok

For Silk only ever seen in separate pieces, have a few silk LS tops & bottoms branded Terramar bought online some time ago from Sierra TradingPost

Silk stinks up much quicker than wool, also have recently acquired merino Terramar from Sierra. I prefer the wool.
magura
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Liamy77 » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 9:05 am

you could add velcro to the join of a two piece base layer i spose... buttons might be less comfortable.
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Equipment