Thermarest prolite & prolite plus

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thermarest prolite & prolite plus

Postby etrangere » Tue 29 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm

Has anyone had experience using the thermarest prolite and prolite plus?

The pricing is almost identical the only difference i can see is
prolite - smaller & lighter
prolite plus - thicker & warmer

is the extra padding of the Plus version worth the extra size/weight?

Any feedback on them would be great. I have the trail light version but it is so bulky by comparison!
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Thermarest prolite & prolite plus

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:10 am

I have a women's Prolite Plus and am very happy with it, it's very comfortable. I haven't had any experience with the Prolite though so can't compare. The Prolite Plus seems to pack down to a reasonable size. Because I sleep cold, it wasn't a hard decision for me to make.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby juney » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 7:59 pm

Just to confuse the issue - check out the thermarest neo air. I've used quite a few different mats and now that the neo has come along, I think I have found my final mat. I have previously used a Kathmandu mat (it pains me to write that), thermarest prolite 4, Pacific outdoors 4.5cm thick mat, exped 7 and now the neo - lighter and much easier to inflate than the exped and more comfortable than the others.
If you still want to go with the prolite or prolite plus then go prolite if your hips don't get sore and you don't feel the cold plus don't plan on camping in freezing conditions, it is after all lighter. However, the prolite plus is noticeably more comfortable and necessary if camping below about 10degrees - that is my opinion on the temp. not thermerests. Don't get too concerned about the pricing, buy what you think is most suitable for you.
Cheers,
Juney
juney
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Franco » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 9:34 am

I had a Prolite and later switched to the Plus (Prolite 4 ) because the former was a bit too thin for me as I often sleep on my side and don't like the mat to be rock hard. .
The Neo Air is more comfortable again (for me) but it isn't designed for freezing or below weather.
Many in the US use the Neo, with a thin solid foam mattress as well , in winter.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby sthughes » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 10:50 am

I have a Prolite 4 and previously had a different brand mat the same thickness of the regular prolite. The extra comfort and warmth of the thincker mat was well worth it for me.
Also now have the Neo and have never used the Prolite 4 since.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby etrangere » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I find the Thermarest Trail Lite i have quite good but bulky so was looking into investing in something more lightweight and compact. WA doesnt get too cold, usually 0 at the most. My Mont Zodiac 500 is rated 0 to 5 and I just bought a full set of Icebreaker thermals to wear if feeling the cold when sleeping. But in saying that nothing ruins a trip more than an uncomfortable/lack of sleep so I'm erring on the side of the Pro Lite Plus as the extra 2cm diameter packed and 220 gms weight are a small price to pay. Does anyone here use the regular Pro Lite and find it comfortable??

Trail Lite
thickness - 3.8 cm
R rating - 3.8
weight - 910 gms
packed size - 53 x 11 cm

Pro Lite Plus
thickness - 3.8 cm
R rating - 3.8
weight - 680 gms
packed size - 28 x 12 cm

Pro Lite
thickness - 2.5 cm
R rating - 2.2
weight - 460 gms
packed size - 28 x 10cm
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Ent » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi

I use the Prolite 4 and Exped Downmat. Very happy with the Prolite and warm enough when used on snow. I sleep on my side and it is comfortable enough for that. The Exped Downmat is warmer and little bit more comfortable and around 20 percent heavier. The Neo Air is getting a lot of attention but assuming I read the figures correctly the XL (my size) it is 700 grams while the Prolite 4 is 950 grams. Hardly enough to make me change but if the Prolite was stolen I would look long and hard at the Neo Air but the current pricing is a rip-off.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 7:57 am

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from old boy but the Thermarest website says Large Neo-air = 550g, Prolite plus = 940g (42% saving!) :p
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 8:32 am

Um?

I am getting confused in my old age. I would have sworn blind I have the XL version of the Pro-lite 4 but it is not on the website, only the large. Also the Prolite 4 appears to have been replaced by the Prolite Plus. Also I found somewhere the specifications for an XL Neoair but obviously not. I went as far as ordering one but was then told they would not ship from the USA to Australia so dumped the order so maybe the weights I got were from that website. According to Therma-rest the Prolite large is 630, plus 940 and Neoair 550 grams respectively. I erred :oops: Or found a shonkey review :? Might be tempted but the large NeoAirs are not cheap.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment