Durston X-Mid 1 - Second Hand Price > New Price

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Durston X-Mid 1 - Second Hand Price > New Price

Postby Aushiker » Mon 29 Apr, 2024 12:53 pm

Do sellers not research the price of the items they are selling?

I can purchase a new Durston X-Mid 2 Generation delivered for $421, but Grant, with one photo and minimal detail on the condition of the tent, wants $450 for what I assume is a first generation X-Mid 1P. Sorry, Grant, but no cookie.

Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Durston X-Mid 1 - Second Hand Price > New Price

Postby stry » Mon 29 Apr, 2024 6:04 pm

If you want to fuel your rage check out prices for used current model Suzuki Jimnys versus new (at least until recently).

You're not being forced to buy either.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Mon 29 Apr, 2024 6:56 pm

stry wrote:

Where did I say I was? Maybe work on those comprehension skills before commenting in this manner.

Fueling my rage? Seriously, please do not assume your issues are mine.

Oh, you are not being forced to comment either ,,,

Cheers
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby nezumi » Mon 29 Apr, 2024 7:42 pm

stry wrote:If you want to fuel your rage check out prices for used current model Suzuki Jimnys versus new (at least until recently).

It's a bit different when it's a question of having it now versus 12-18 months time, as was the case with the Jimny. At that point it's up to the individual to decide if it's worth the cost.

For the X-Mid it's either wishful thinking or hoping to get someone who isn't doing their homework.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed 01 May, 2024 3:43 pm

Grant is a serial reseller. It seems to be a bit of a business of his. He bought a tent off me that I was selling at a good price, hoping someone would enthusiastically pick it up and use it. He's now selling it for nearly $200 more than I sold it to him for. I don't feel good about selling to him and would avoid it if he tried to buy from me again.
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby grunter » Wed 01 May, 2024 5:22 pm

I picked up an Xmid 1 version 1 for $200 from in this forum. If I sold it would be for around the same price. Still great value. The X-Dome is coming this year. I expect some more Xmids to be sold.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Wed 01 May, 2024 6:36 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Grant is a serial reseller. It seems to be a bit of a business of his. He bought a tent off me that I was selling at a good price, hoping someone would enthusiastically pick it up and use it. He's now selling it for nearly $200 more than I sold it to him for. I don't feel good about selling to him and would avoid it if he tried to buy from me again.
I hear what you're saying and have experienced the same, but not Grant.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that these people probably aren't earning $$$'s. There are easier ways to make money. Sure, if they are rich, it's disappointing, but I think in most cases, they're just trying to make ends meet.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby EGM » Wed 01 May, 2024 8:13 pm

I have dabbled with reselling and if you're switched on its fairly easy to make good pocket money.

And it's easy to do ethically. Aka, selling stuff for a fair price and buying for what sellers are asking, not inventing sob stories to get bargains and ripping off buyers. I would never sell something for more than I think it's worth.

Be careful with buying second hand. Some people are happy to lie to turn a profit.

Btw I've never used this forum for it, completely against the ethos.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Wed 01 May, 2024 10:43 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Grant is a serial reseller. It seems to be a bit of a business of his. He bought a tent off me that I was selling at a good price, hoping someone would enthusiastically pick it up and use it. He's now selling it for nearly $200 more than I sold it to him for. I don't feel good about selling to him and would avoid it if he tried to buy from me again.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Nuts » Fri 03 May, 2024 9:18 am

I've made a small fortune selling used outdoor gear. So it's possible. Preferably (for 'hiking' gear) business best not started with a large fortune :)

Not having ever liked the selling process, I start with a reasonable price point, sales are usually within days/weeks. I've not bought anything from Grant (who is based locally and it Is his business),he does always seem to start with high prices*. I'd assume ready to make deals, as the gear does seem to turn over.

* (Or And must be a whizz with 2-minute noodles).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Jack Doolan » Fri 03 May, 2024 5:40 pm

No idea how you can make money out of second hand gear as all the big online shops seem to be perpetually in "SALE" mode. I turnover a lot of stuff - buy it, use it a couple of times, decide I don't like it and move it on. Rarely do I get my money back as when you look online new is often cheaper than what I originally paid. Lucky I'm rich :shock:
Jack Doolan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment