Confused by the size of this 40L backpack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Confused by the size of this 40L backpack

Postby OlsenZ » Mon 18 Mar, 2024 4:59 am

Hi guys, I will go to the foot of Alps in July and choosing a 30-40L backpack now, I am with little experience and this is my first one.
There is one which seems pretty good to me, the capacity says 40L and size is 47x30x18, the size is confusing since I am also looking at a 30L one from Decathlon whose size is bigger: 63x30x23

Does it happen that small size backpack has bigger capacity? If so will small size gives me discomfort? I checked quite some other backpacks and found the Decathlon one has more “normal” size.

I put the link for both of them here:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/au/hi ... 3845.aspx/

https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/mountain ... 86738.html

Thanks in advanced !!
OlsenZ
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Confused by the size of this 40L backpack

Postby fff » Mon 18 Mar, 2024 10:15 am

I'm not a fan of either company-but to me the Decathlon one, even though it's very heavy for what it is, looks better and has the best set-up of pockets and is probably truest to size.
Last edited by fff on Tue 19 Mar, 2024 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
fff
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Mon 18 Mar, 2024 3:34 pm

Hi I noticed on the Decathlon page, click the tab technical then has a spot where they say volume is measured by stuffing plastic balls in every pocket space then measure the volume of the balls.

Sometimes a website lists a package/delivery size instead of the actual items size.

Of the two I would lean towards the design of the Decathlon one.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby OlsenZ » Mon 18 Mar, 2024 9:12 pm

Thanks mate, I would consider the Decarthlon one too only thing to concern is as you said the weight, will do more researching.
OlsenZ
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment