Stretcher

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Stretcher

Postby phs » Sun 25 Feb, 2024 5:49 pm

Hi

Really struggle with sleeping on hiking mattresses actually don’t really sleep so hiking experience becomes tirsum

Any recommendations for stretchers ? I see helinox have a few
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Stretcher

Postby Neo » Mon 26 Feb, 2024 12:16 pm

Hi those simple wire leg stretchers are actually pretty good to lie on and pack quite flat. Heavy at 3.45kg though but could be a good one to test out the stretcher idea or use for car camping. They go for $30 on special, different brands different colour but same design.
I would trust any Helinox item is a quality one. If a stretcher is what you need to get rest then I think it's worth carrying for overnighters :)
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Wed 28 Feb, 2024 7:06 pm

I have an antique one made with steel rods and canvas (post WW II ?). It is very comfortable, BUT I would never put the legs on a groundsheet. The legs would destroy it.

Cheers
Roger
Last edited by rcaffin on Sat 02 Mar, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Sat 02 Mar, 2024 5:53 pm

If expense is not an issue, have a look at the HELINOX Cot. You would need to give careful consideration to its packed-down size and weight; it is very, very light for what it is, but generally designed for use outside a tent. The load-bearing bases of the legs are well designed, but not something I would bring into direct, overnight (and constant) contact with the comparatively frail tent floors that are prevalent today.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phs » Mon 01 Apr, 2024 9:56 am

Biggles wrote:If expense is not an issue, have a look at the HELINOX Cot. You would need to give careful consideration to its packed-down size and weight; it is very, very light for what it is, but generally designed for use outside a tent. The load-bearing bases of the legs are well designed, but not something I would bring into direct, overnight (and constant) contact with the comparatively frail tent floors that are prevalent today.

A few good points, I’ll have to bring some carpet trims for the feet and a thermal sheet, Purchased a Cot Lite.
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby phs » Mon 08 Apr, 2024 8:40 pm

Well tested this out and it was good, had some carpet squares to put under the feet and tent floor was all good, it was comfortable for tent camping and I slept ok, better than the last time I used the mat it didn’t really sleep at all.

Down side cold underneath, but I ensure I can work on some type of sheet to put under

Takes up about the same space as my Nemo Matt and seems slightly lighter.
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment