Down Jacket advice needed for 3 Passes trek in Nepal

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Down Jacket advice needed for 3 Passes trek in Nepal

Postby Dutchie64 » Fri 23 Feb, 2024 1:22 pm

All,

I was hoping to get some advice from those who may have done this hike.

We are starting the hike in early November.

I do not want to rent a jacket in Kathmandu - I prefer to buy one before I leave, as I will return to Nepal for more hiking once I retire.

I cannot make up my mind which down jacket from Cumulus to buy.
1. Neolite Endurance (535g weight/255g down weight/850fp/box baffle design) or
2. Mountlite (365g/180g down weight/900fp/sewn through design)

I feel the Neolite Endurance will be good for the 3 passes trek, but probably overkill for any other hiking in Aus/NZ, Europe (in shoulder/winter season).

The Mountlite on the other hand may very well be not warm enough at the higher altitudes on the 3 passes trek, but pretty spot on for other hike in Aus/NZ or Europe in the afore mentioned seasons.

What would be the better down jacket to buy? Would love to hear your feedback, especially from those who have done this particular hike.

Regards,
Dutchie
Dutchie64
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Down Jacket advice needed for 3 Passes trek in Nepal

Postby myrtlegirl » Mon 26 Feb, 2024 1:00 pm

I walked Annapurna and Upper Mustang in October 2018.

Tty layering. I had a synthetic jacket over my downie. I didn't want to fork out heaps for an extra downie that wouldn't get used a lot, so adding a synthetic layer over it worked really well. My downie was OK to zero, but I don't generally go out if it's much below zero.

This was my synthetic one: https://www.mont.com.au/products/guide- ... maloft-men
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Tue 27 Feb, 2024 9:11 am

Hi Dutchie
It can get seriously cold in November however both jackets will be fine.
My last trip through in that month, the 3 Passes, I used a Macpac Halo with just 205 gms of 600 loft down and stitched through.
In the past I have preferred more down and box quilting but its probably not necessary.
A good hood is important though particularly if you are planning to spend nights outside which would be unusual for a standard 3 passes trip.
There is not much use for these jackets in Australia.
Best wishes
John
PS do load up an ?Everest link data card before you get to the Khumbu as it you will save loads of dollars
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gold Coast » Sun 03 Mar, 2024 9:10 am

Hi Dutchie,
I've been up to the Khumbu twice, but am not an experienced cold weather environment person, as I live in the sub tropics at the beach, so do not have a lot of technical knowledge of gear.

First time with a MacPac Halo like John above, then I bought a Cumulus Acomay. My size L is 325gr with 102gr of Polish White Goose Down [850eu Loft].
I only wear it at night and in the mornings before walking, with a cheap 200wt merino long sleeve base layer plus Aldi merino tee shirt plus a MacPac Tui Fleece. The Acomay does not have a hood, so I wear a cheap fleece beanie, and carry a synthetic hood for some nights up high, when sleeping. I never had to wear the jacket to bed in lodges.

Now for it's performance in November, arriving in Namche on the 11 Nov. I am just a hiker with no peak summiting ambitions. It was perfectly fine for me and I don't think of getting anything warmer and I will be up there again this coming Nov. I only stayed in lodges and did no camping or climbing peaks, where a warmer jacket would be useful. Sometimes in the lodges, if I stayed too long near the fire, I would have to take the jacket off. In Dingboche, I would walk around outside at night, going to a cafe and still be comfortable. I was never that cold any time on the trek that I was shivering, but sometimes I would need to stand near the fire just to top up my warmth.

I'm pretty sure the Neolite Endurance would be over kill and it's a heavy jacket to carry as well as being more bulky to fit in your pack, being the same weight as the Macpac Halo. The Mountlite with 180gr of 900 loft would be a lot warmer than the Acomay, and if you are just staying in lodges would be fine.
Gold Coast
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Buck » Thu 07 Mar, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi Dutchie
I have been to Nepal a number of times. Highest peak 6500m. It can be very cold there mainly due to the wind. The Mont Icicle jacket is the only way to go in my opinion.
Costs a lot but boy is it worth it. Highly recommended. You will thank me on your return. Have a great trip.
Buck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 10:19 am

Hii Buck
Can I disagree?
Dutchie is tea house trekking not climbing.
A good quality light downie will be fine.

And here is a link to a recent nepal trip, a family undertaking, the high route on the Great Himalaya Trail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Nt2d-f4gs
We encountered a village dog that had been to 7500 m on Baruntse, just tagged along behind a climbing group!
Best wishes
John smart
johnrs

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 10:39 am

Great video
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 10:48 am

Moondog55 wrote:Great video

+ 1
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Biggles » Fri 08 Mar, 2024 11:58 am

Wonderfully atmospheric video.
To say the soaring, jagged and deep landscapes of the Himalaya are dramatic is quite an understatement! :lol:
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 09 Mar, 2024 10:21 am

$700- AUD is quite a lot of money but my own feeling is that too warm is usually better than marginal.
That said with Macpac Halos being on sale for a quarter of that I'd be willing to carry the extra hundred grams and save the cash and tossing a windproof or lightly insulated synthetic over a sewn though jacket can increase the warmth by a large factor.
As you become larger it gets harder to source synthetic warm layers large enough to layer over down jackets but if you are a medium or large it's easy enough; but beware the current fashion for slim fit; jackets to use for layering over down gear is usually best when using the traditional Expedition cut for the extra width and ease in the sleeves
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gold Coast » Sat 09 Mar, 2024 12:34 pm

I'll just add a couple more snippits.
I paid $100au for the Macpac Halo in 2020 and it was perfectly fine for the lodge trek,
although that first trek was in Mar/ April arriving in Namche on the way up on 04 April.

I bought the Cummulus Acomay to lighten my pack weight, as well as use a smaller pack.
Gold Coast
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gold Coast » Sat 09 Mar, 2024 12:45 pm

Even though I have yet to use the idea, I always have my sleeping bag to wrap around me in the lodge dinning room, if it gets that cold.
Gold Coast
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment