Older Fairydown tunnel tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Older Fairydown tunnel tent

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 07 Feb, 2024 12:16 pm

Anybody here ever had any experience with the Fairydown Trilogy 3-hoop tunnel tent?
I have always been impressed with the stormworthyness of my Plateau and my own preference is for tunnel tents [ or hybrids such as the Plateau] in the High Country in white season and somebody local is selling one in good condition and at a reasonable cost.
Was it ever a serious contender for our winter conditions?
In pix it looks like a stretched Minaret with a short third hoop at the foot end.
I may or may not buy it as I already have a collection of older tents but the design has perhaps some merit pitched tail into the wind
Attachments
417632459_7775815439100113_5399695718554116808_n.jpg
Pix from the internet
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Older Fairydown tunnel tent

Postby Petew » Thu 08 Feb, 2024 11:56 am

Hi Moondog.

A good tent back in the day. I used one in the late 80s/early 90s. The one pictured looks to be on its last legs with a lot of UV damage and the PU coating has probably had it. Used one many times on the main range. Fairly bomber when new.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby rhon4 » Sat 10 Feb, 2024 12:04 am

Moondog55 wrote:Anybody here ever had any experience with the Fairydown Trilogy 3-hoop tunnel tent?
I have always been impressed with the stormworthyness of my Plateau and my own preference is for tunnel tents [ or hybrids such as the Plateau] in the High Country in white season and somebody local is selling one in good condition and at a reasonable cost.
Was it ever a serious contender for our winter conditions?
In pix it looks like a stretched Minaret with a short third hoop at the foot end.
I may or may not buy it as I already have a collection of older tents but the design has perhaps some merit pitched tail into the wind

It looks very solid
rhon4
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Feb, 2024 1:26 pm

Seller dropped the price and added in an older short T'Rest so I did pick it up. Just to play with.
Same footprint and a similar pole lay-out tho the Helesport I sold but without the design details of the younger tent.
Mainly because the poles and pegs were in as-new condition and it's always handy to have spares. No smell at all of polyurethane degradation
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 10 Mar, 2024 2:03 pm

OK brains trust; thoughts on some things I could do with the old tent to bring it up to scratch for one last trip?
A coat with diluted silicon will happen too.
The fly sits loose on the wands so I was thinking some Velcro loops on the fly connecting to loops sewn over the mesh wand tubes plus a wide tie-out on the large horizontal side seam
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment