kayak Advice.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

kayak Advice.

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 27 Nov, 2023 7:24 pm

Just wondering if anybody in the bush walking community could advise me on brands and models of kayaks they have had positive experiences with . I would like to buy one with a budget of around $1000 and would be hoping for something that would be a good all rounder. Suitable for use in rivers and inland waterways but still stable enough for close in coastal touring.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Al.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: kayak Advice.

Postby sandym » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 5:57 am

Depends what "close in coastal touring" means. If it means a little potter around a sheltered bay on good weather days there are lots of options open to you but if you intend to be out and about in any than ideal conditions you will probably want a proper sea kayak with bulkheads to keep the boat afloat in the event of capsize.

I think at your price point, a used kayak would be a good idea and perfectly acceptable solution.

First off, you have to think about whether you want a true sit in kayak with sealed hatches and the ability to put a spray deck on and stay moderately dry (sea kayaking is a wet sport) or whether you are happy enough with a sit on top.

Then plastic/thermomoulded or fibreglass - plastic/thermomoulded is likely completely fine for your requirements, a lot cheaper and a lot less maintenance. Prijon make some good thermomoulded kayaks, but there are many options out there.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Petew » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 12:19 pm

Second hand is the way to go.

Sea kayaks are good all-rounders on anything apart from rapids.

I'd suggest going plastic over fibreglass as you don't have to baby them.

Any brand sold in an actual kayak shop will be ok ( not anaconda).

I have three kayaks and the one that gets the most use is mid sized (14 feet) without a rudder ( has a skeg). It's ok on costal stuff but fantastic for things like tallowa dam/Hawkesbury etc.

You want something that's light enough to put on the roof of a car by yourself.

Cheers,

Pete
Petew

Postby CBee » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 4:38 pm

Second hand.
Prijon is a good choice.
Touring kajak.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby farefam » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 5:51 pm

Hi Al, If you are still living in WA I suggest you either PM me or call me. Would be happy to lend you my sea kayak for an extended period of time, as I am grounded at the moment and unable to use it.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Tue 28 Nov, 2023 6:36 pm

Sea kayak…second hand. Avoid whitewater style kayaks as a first kayak, even if they are cheap new. It takes some skill to get them to track properly, which is v frustrating. I have had great joy from my second hand sea kayaks, and they have a bigger cockpit, so that if you fall out you have less risk of getting your legs stuck….it happened to me.

Andrew
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby sandym » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 5:37 am

Real white water kayaks are not cheap new! Not even cheap second hand and an excercise in frustration for what the OP wants.

If you could get your hands on a used Raider kayak they are light and very functional for what you want. Often for sale around or even under your price point:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lower-king/kayaks-paddle/sea-kayak-in-excellent-condition-/1315346357
sandym

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 29 Nov, 2023 7:38 am

farefam wrote:Hi Al, If you are still living in WA I suggest you either PM me or call me. Would be happy to lend you my sea kayak for an extended period of time, as I am grounded at the moment and unable to use it.

Hey Farefam,
thats such a generous offer. Thanks mate.I'll be in touch soon. Hope whatever it is that's put you out of action isn't too serious.

I appreciate the advice of others too and will keep a close eye on the second hand market. There must be so many reasonable craft laying around peoples backyards unused.
Definitely dont want to be shooting thunderous rapids or paddling across Bass Strait but want something better than a sit on top kayak.
Thanks again for the advice.

Al
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment