Question re down quilt “shedding”

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Question re down quilt “shedding”

Postby Eremophila » Sat 02 Sep, 2023 6:48 pm

Just wondering- is it normal for down quilts to leak more and more down as they age? Mine has got to the stage that, when I wake in the morning and move around in the tent, it’s like a fine dusting of snow. It doesn’t appear to be coming from any particular place in the quilt and I can’t see any holes in the seams or fabric.

I’m just wondering how much warmth it is losing.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Question re down quilt “shedding”

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 7:35 am

It's possible; my winter bag lost 160 grams over a couple of decades, although never saw what you describe.
What fabric is the shall made from?
Was it very high fill power down? What I lost from mine was mainly small pin feathers even tho it was very high quality fill with minimum feathers
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 8:24 am

It’s a quilt from Undercling _Mike, Performance down, HyperD 1.0 shell and Argon 67 liner.
Eremophila

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 4:11 pm

Doesn't sound right but maybe ultra light down is a bit more fragile, it sounds like it may be fragments of down plumule working though the fabric. Have you contacted him yet?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 04 Sep, 2023 9:33 am

I usually find the odd bit of down floating about either on me on in the bottom the tent, I think it is just par for the course for quilts or bags made from ultralight materials and filled with high fill power down as they get a few year's worth of wear on them.

Though ironically the problem seems worse with my Sea To Summit bag (Spark IV - 850fp) which also has had a few weird nicks/tears around the top and (less surprisingly) the god-awful zip baffle cover over the past few years. The much cheaper Enlightened Equipment Revelation (also 850fp) has been much less problematic, just the occasional pin feather poking through.

Never thought of weighing them every so often to track down loss, probably not a bad idea.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eremophila » Tue 05 Sep, 2023 7:16 am

I didn’t want to bother Mike, not sure how he is doing these days.

And yes, I will be weighing the quilt, not sure how much down needs to be lost before this shows up on the scales and whether buildup of body oils might counteract any minor loss of weight. It never smells so I don’t wash it often. (hardly ever :oops:) I’m not keen on having it dry cleaned as the extended tumbling will only increase the down loss.
Eremophila

Postby NeveGear » Sun 24 Sep, 2023 2:14 pm

Quilts will usually only leak down when the fabric used is not downproof enough. Argon 67 is not very down proof in comparison to something like 10D taffeta. It also depends on what down is used, some downs have more feather quills than others, even if it is 900FP, it still varies

Feathers leaking isn’t anything to worry about as the feathers themselves don’t add much warmth for their weight and it would take serious amounts of use to see any noticeable drop in warmth/weight.

Although leaking feathers can be very annoying especially when they stick to thermals etc
NeveGear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Neve Gear
Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Sun 24 Sep, 2023 7:26 pm

I'm not sure if its my age or the quilts, but over time, they do appear to lose some of their C rating.

When you think about it, being shoved (compressed) into a bag time and time again must do some damage to the Down. My guess is the powder is damage done to the Down fibers, that is now leaking out.

I'm not sure if this applies to synthetics. I have a Holifill* bag, which has still retained its C degree rating from when I bought it in the 80's. I really need to throw that bag out, but there are too many good snow touring memories.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment