Rain pants better than Mont Astral?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rain pants better than Mont Astral?

Postby Neo » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 3:03 pm

Hi
Are there any rain pants better than the Mont?
My criteria are:
Actually waterproof
Durable enough to last
Wide enough at the foot end that water shouldn't run into socks or trailer runners.
Lighter than the Mont, being 425g (think the Raindance are kids sizes)
Cheers
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rain pants better than Mont Astral?

Postby Neo » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 5:32 pm

More reference, am looking to drop the money for a pair of those pants, checking first for any other suggestions...

I already have an Austral jacket which is great. Also that Outdoor Research ~200g-ish one which works for quick outings.

Have Patagonia rain pants that are fine but elastic narrower bottom of the legs.

Have an MLD rainskirt which is cool but best for warmer weather. Could be a few inches longer for me so might get a custom/longer one from tiergear.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment