Tarptent Moment DW tips?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tarptent Moment DW tips?

Postby Neo » Tue 25 Jul, 2023 7:24 pm

G'day
I am a stoked owner of a Moment DW (Li) just the fourth night out.

A few questions about pitching it or maybe you know a good link? Any other tips...

*Set up is easy, although the sides seem a bit flappy. I will try adding some tie-outs to the midpoint tabs for extra pegs. Happened to have some tiny cord but like to use hat elastic for this. Maybe I'm missing something else?

*At the ends, the two struts have some tape/ribbon to stop them spreading. Although they seem like they want to go inwards when tensioning, or could do so in strong gusts.

*The zipper of the fly seems to have a lot of tension sometimes or near the bottom. Thinking that staking the pole ends or the side points might make this worse?

Thanks
Neo
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tarptent Moment DW tips?

Postby jadasa » Fri 11 Aug, 2023 9:54 pm

Hi Neo,
I've got the silnylon version, design-wise the same..
I've only had it a short time, but reckon I'm close to sorting it out - so together we can dial up our setups.

Neo wrote:G'day
I am a stoked owner of a Moment DW (Li) just the fourth night out.

A few questions about pitching it or maybe you know a good link? Any other tips...

*Set up is easy, although the sides seem a bit flappy. I will try adding some tie-outs to the midpoint tabs for extra pegs. Happened to have some tiny cord but like to use hat elastic for this. Maybe I'm missing something else?
I've put tie-outs on mine which helped. I also find it to be more taught when the sides are tightened close to the ground level.

*At the ends, the two struts have some tape/ribbon to stop them spreading. Although they seem like they want to go inwards when tensioning, or could do so in strong gusts.
I find that adding tension to the topmost line of the pitchlock triangle helps keep the feet from moving inwards

*The zipper of the fly seems to have a lot of tension sometimes or near the bottom. Thinking that staking the pole ends or the side points might make this worse?
I understand that the waterproof zippers are always a bit stiffer.. is it too stiff? I dunno... silicone spray might help?

Thanks
Neo
jadasa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Sat 12 Aug, 2023 10:24 am

Just on the flappy sides comment, probably it is because the pitchloc ends don't have the right tension.
In this video you see a different version of that set up but the idea is the same .
Pull the two struts towards you , spreading them out as far as you can, keep the apex under pressure and THEN peg it in.
Most peg the end in and use the tie outs to set it , the other way works better...

BTW, just in case, always set it up with both door panels fully zipped up.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sat 12 Aug, 2023 5:44 pm

Thanks for that Franco and Jadasa I did put a double loop of hat elastic on the side tie-outs but haven't pitched again yet.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sun 01 Oct, 2023 7:26 pm

Righto so it seems I pitch better now not sure why. The waterproof zip has less extreme tension, I added hat elastic double loops to the extra tie out points and have used them some times. Found my titanium hook pegs/pins so added those to the bag. Cheers from a very happy camper :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby lefroy » Mon 23 Oct, 2023 5:48 pm

Any thoughts on a DIY groundsheet? Anyone here got a template/dimensions of the tarptent version? Also, is the cross pole worth the effort of ordering?
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Mon 23 Oct, 2023 6:55 pm

I got a piece of Tyvek, this time from Orange Brown. Trimmed the points off the rectangle a little to suit as offset diamond ish. A bit more sheet on the larger/main vestibule side.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment