Mesh Base Layer

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mesh Base Layer

Postby ofuros » Sat 20 May, 2023 11:02 am

Last edited by ofuros on Sat 20 May, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mesh Base Layer

Postby Franco » Sat 20 May, 2023 1:29 pm

I would not camp on the tip of an iceberg but I spotted a set of Merino top and bottom 150 gms at Aldi for $35 each.
Not mesh... but maybe someone readig this could be interested.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Sat 20 May, 2023 2:09 pm

Just going through my winter-wear storage box for a upcoming walk in SW Qld & curious to see if there were any other online mesh products out there. Surprised by the choice.

Will be wearing mine for my winter wander...
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Sat 20 May, 2023 4:40 pm

ofuros wrote:Just going through my winter-wear storage box for a upcoming walk in SW Qld ...

That would be shorts & t-shirts then :wink:

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ofuros » Sat 20 May, 2023 6:38 pm

bernieq wrote:That would be shorts & t-shirts then :wink:

:lol: Always...mesh + thermal underneath the shirt, it's all about layering.

Add a undulating escarpment walk around the 1000m mark, a bit of wind & it could get a bit chillywilly....cold for Qld anyway. :wink:

Screenshot_20230520-182238.png
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 21 May, 2023 1:42 pm

Basketball mesh and similar fabrics make very good; highly breathable midlayers but they are not that light weight
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Mon 22 May, 2023 9:06 am

Some excellent products for outdoor wear have been lost to time, with not a lot of local innovation in the area of open-weave/mesh wearables.
Working at Paddy Pallin in Little Bourke Street in the early 1980s, I packed up a few PP TechTee mesh shirts — the ones with two press-stud buttons on a cross-over collar, and a light brushed TechFleece trim collar. These shirts were also available in long-sleeved versions for a short time, but it was the short-sleeves that proved their value in layering effectively and wicking away moisture. Take the top two layers off if you were hot and sweaty and the shirt dried extremely quickly. The 4 shirts I have lasted all the way until around 2001-2002 when time caught up with them, literally falling apart at the seams, the press studs coming adrift. I have not seen anything similar to these excellent shirts over the years. On the other hand, a PP long-sleeved Tech-SunShirt bought in 1985 is still going — fabric, collar, press-studs 'n all!! :lol:

Castelli's cycling-focused mesh wear base layers work very well (popular among roadies in Spring and Summer to show their tatts and muscles!!), but it is tight-fitting (everything!) and can be uncomfortable, made along European sizes. It is an expensive brand that requires care and attention to fitting. I think Netti here in Victoria have mesh base-layers; not sure really.

"Tip of the iceberg" ???
Ah, right. I think you will need more than a mesh base-layer to venture up there and down... :?
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 May, 2023 9:42 am

I wore the Paddys mesh tops a lot, including the so called long sleeves than came just past my elbows, great concept but terrible sizing, Patagonia also did an R0.5 mesh T-shirt for several years.
The LW mesh top over a Lifa top and under my dry japara was my ski touring choice for years.
I think you might find that your Tech-Sun is actually the same as mine; Cool-Max not Polypropylene
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Tue 23 May, 2023 8:37 pm

Franco wrote:I would not camp on the tip of an iceberg but I spotted a set of Merino top and bottom 150 gms at Aldi for $35 each.

I picked up the quarter-zip long sleeve Merino top from ALDI a couple of days ago, but weighed it at 273 g. Was there another lighter Merino top on sale that I missed?
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Wed 24 May, 2023 10:11 am

Champion_Munch wrote:
Franco wrote:I would not camp on the tip of an iceberg but I spotted a set of Merino top and bottom 150 gms at Aldi for $35 each.

I picked up the quarter-zip long sleeve Merino top from ALDI a couple of days ago, but weighed it at 273 g. Was there another lighter Merino top on sale that I missed?

You were not there early enough. The Aldi Ski Sale is their 'most popular' with queues starting well before opening time.

The base layers are the 150 gms... and I too did not go early enough. Due to covid Aldi held off on some of the past ski sales so there may have been a built up demand. Better luck next year?
Last edited by Warin on Wed 24 May, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Biggles » Wed 24 May, 2023 3:05 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I wore the Paddys mesh tops a lot, including the so called long sleeves than came just past my elbows, great concept but terrible sizing, Patagonia also did an R0.5 mesh T-shirt for several years.
The LW mesh top over a Lifa top and under my dry japara was my ski touring choice for years.
I think you might find that your Tech-Sun is actually the same as mine; Cool-Max not Polypropylene

I do not know what the Tech-Sun is made of; it still has the original labels flapping on the inside, but the text on them has long ago faded to nothing. It was comically too long when I bought it in the late-1980s, now it is up to my forearm, so not so sun-safe now.

My choice is light to mid-weight Merino tees or long-sleeves; pretty much all purpose as a layer combination, able to take off the long-arms to allow the moisture to escape from the tee.

Not aware that ALDI has anything like this; even if it did, you've got to be mighty quick through the door on Special Buys day.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 29 May, 2023 6:37 pm

Synthetic Mesh & light syn thermal top, shorts, fingerless gloves & beanie...worked well for mooching along the overgrown banks of Nathon Gorge on a cool clear morning -1°c. SW Qld.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Mon 29 May, 2023 9:06 pm

There are some nice meshy-looking “base layers “ shown just below your weather forecast Ofuros. :lol:
Eremophila

Postby ofuros » Mon 29 May, 2023 9:58 pm

Eremophila wrote:There are some nice meshy-looking “base layers “ shown just below your weather forecast Ofuros. :lol:

:shock: perfect for bushwalking. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment