Scarp 1 cross poles

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Scarp 1 cross poles

Postby drakkar » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 8:55 am

I'm looking at buying a secondhand Tarptent scarp 1, but it doesn't come with cross poles. I've emailed TT, but I'm not hopeful of a response before I go inspect it.

How much snow/exposure would the tent handle without them?

Can anyone tell me roughly how long they are so I can price some? I'm guessing around 3.5 metres? (or even better link some so I can be lazy)
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Scarp 1 cross poles

Postby Franco » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 9:18 am

They are :
144 in / 3.7 m (8.6mm) = Bowfin 1S, Double Moment, Rainbow / Double Rainbow, Scarp 1 crossing pole, Scarp 2 arch pole
$22 USD x 2 , around $25 for postage.
(under Extras :https://www.tarptent.com/product/aluminum-arch-crossing-pole/)
I have only had snow on my Scarp and a mate's Scarp 2 with the extra poles. I would think that about 10-15cm of our wet snow would be OK without the X poles IF you have the tent nice and taut beforehand.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby drakkar » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks for being polite about it Franco, not sure how i missed that on the website.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi Drakkar,

I've used a Scarp 1 (which was Franco's, btw) without the crossing poles in both windy++ and snowy conditions. It got pummelled for 36 hours with me in it on the Western Arthurs, with strong winds and rain, with no major issues. It got about 20cm of snow unexpectedly on it on another trip. I had to push the snow off the roof, from the inside, a few times during the night, as others did in their tents. But it held up just fine. I'd take the crossing poles if I was using it in winter, and tend to take my Akto if I'm expecting really strong winds (the weights are pretty equivalent if I take the extra poles). I do like the Scarp, but wish it had a stronger, more waterproof floor. It's still a good tent, though, and I'm glad I got it.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 7:34 pm

The crossing poles also make the Scarp more stable in strong winds.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby drakkar » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 4:24 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hi Drakkar,

I've used a Scarp 1 (which was Franco's, btw) without the crossing poles in both windy++ and snowy conditions. It got pummelled for 36 hours with me in it on the Western Arthurs, with strong winds and rain, with no major issues. It got about 20cm of snow unexpectedly on it on another trip. I had to push the snow off the roof, from the inside, a few times during the night, as others did in their tents. But it held up just fine. I'd take the crossing poles if I was using it in winter, and tend to take my Akto if I'm expecting really strong winds (the weights are pretty equivalent if I take the extra poles). I do like the Scarp, but wish it had a stronger, more waterproof floor. It's still a good tent, though, and I'm glad I got it.

Thanks, gives me enough confidence. Not many of my walks in the next couple of years will have that level of exposure.

A cheap well used scarp 1 is now in my possession. Slight upgrade from my ever trusty tarp.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment