Jetboil Flash - which gas

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Jetboil Flash - which gas

Postby alanoutgear » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 7:26 pm

I bit the bullet and bought a Jetboil Flash. The instructions say that you should only use Jetboil gas canisters.

I assumed all Lindel valve gas canisters would conform to a standard design, so I fitted a Gasmate canister and it worked fine.

Am I right in assuming they want us to use Jetboil gas canisters because they are much more expensive for no apparent reason.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Jetboil Flash - which gas

Postby Eremophila » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 7:30 pm

Well, I've certainly used other brands with mine and never had an issue.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 9:57 pm

alanoutgear wrote:I bit the bullet and bought a Jetboil Flash. The instructions say that you should only use Jetboil gas canisters.

I assumed all Lindel valve gas canisters would conform to a standard design, so I fitted a Gasmate canister and it worked fine.

Am I right in assuming they want us to use Jetboil gas canisters because they are much more expensive for no apparent reason.

Yep
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 9:59 pm

I’ve had my Flash since 2013 and have never used Jetboil gas. Too expensive. The regular brands are fine.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 11:17 pm

At one time in the distance past the prevailing view was all canister where made by Kovea. Is that still the consensus view?
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 10:31 am

Just wanting you to buy their canisters.

There are a couple of other canister makers. Be careful of any chinese made ones. They have been known to contain some dirt/dust that can clog the jet.

Also, for cold conditions find canisters that have some propane and iso-butane rather than n-propane as these remain gas at below freezing. Regular n-butane may not revert to gas from the liquid phase that is in the canisters at below freezing. I have found the gas mate (lime green) ones are fine.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment