Which gaiters?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Which gaiters?

Postby gbagua » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 4:50 pm

I have a choice of several brands here in Brisbane's outdoor shops. I have in mind the following ones from the lot:

1. MacPac ---> Torlesse
2. Outdoor Research ---> Rocky Mountain
3. Sea to Summit ----> Quagmire

Any particular recommendations based on use and resistance to wear especially the straps that go under the shoes as well as prevention of the upper part of the garment from slipping down.

Thanks in advance.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Which gaiters?

Postby bobcrusader » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 6:53 pm

I own the Quagmires, and they have been solid. Spinifex in outback SA, mud (and leeches) in Vic High Country. Stay up, straps are solid. But for less extreme terrain, they are overkill. The Macpac and the OR ones (in the 'High' version) also look pretty solid. Of those 3, I'd be inclined to just go with the cheapest.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 9:43 am

The best gaiters are made in Tassie, of course: https://www.facebook.com/tasgearbushwalking/

But they're overkill unless you're doing a lot of mud or scrub. Underfoot strap is an easily replaceable length of dyneema. Unlike the S2S, the stitching will last as long as the fabric, so they're far better value.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 11:23 am

I tend to use a shorter S2S model on most of my walks & a longer version if I'm picturing bulldozing through vines, hooks, thorns & stingers....or the shorties during summer for cooler calves & longies for warmer calves during the winter.

I aways replace the rubbish under boot cord with thin hard wearing dyneema cord.

The stiffer short gaitors have elastic cord & cordlock at the top to keep out debris, while the longer version has velcro + flat webbing for adjustment above the calf muscle. Both work ok.

They're a combo of press stud & velcro closure.
The press stud closure annoys me alittle with cold fumbly arthritic fingers, while the fat velcro closure although noisy, is easy to use & stays put.

I don't expect them to last forever, if they get a tear or shredded thread they're easy enough to patch or machine sew.
UV degradation over years where the materials fail...I just chuck & replace.
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 17 Jun, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks again. I'll settle with the Sea to Summit ones which I need for thick scrub in a descent routes. Yes! The cord that comes with the gaiters is rubbish, it only lasts 3-4 hikes and it's gone!

Ofuros, where in Bris. can I purchase the dyneema cord you are talking about?

Ta.
gbagua

Postby ofuros » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 7:04 pm

Dyneema SK75, SK78, Sk99, UHMwPE, zing-it...

By the metre, I'm thinking yacht chandlers...or outside-the-box spectra braided fishing line ? Not sure how well that wears.

Not in Brissy...
By the roll, Smaller diametres in Grey...
https://ropegalore.com.au/o-1mm-o-1-5mm ... winchline/

By the roll, coloured...blues, reds, hot pinks & flouro yellows 1mm upwards, arborists throwlines, yacht chandlers, kitelines...
https://www.deckhardware.com.au/magic-d ... m-20m-roll
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 6:44 am

Let me ask the silly question:

I don't have any gaiters right now with me to check how the attachment works, so how do you actually replace the standard strap with the dyneema cord? Do you actually sew it? I don't have a sewing machine so it's going to be hard for me.

Cheers :)
gbagua

Postby ofuros » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 7:07 am

I bought the cord versions for that reason... :D

Looking closely at the S2S model your interested in, wait until the under-boot strap wears through either buy a replacement strap or cut the buckle off & tie your dyneema cord to the loop that is left.

I can't see if there's a 2nd buckle on the instep or that it passes through a covered grommet from the pics so somebody with quagmires will have to chime in.

P.S. Looks like a flush grommet on the instep from replacement strap pics...so you don't trip up. Easy strap or dyneema cord replacement.
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 18 Jun, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tazz81 » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 8:16 am

I’ve gone through 3 sets of Quagmire in 4 years mainly because of the under boot strap! Every time it snapped on me I turfed them at the end of the trip, which is not ideal for the environment/hip pocket ect. I decided to change brands to OR, so I’ll see how these go - but I’ll definitely try using a different cord.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 8:40 am

I like the OR crocodile gaiters.

Had mine for 3 years and they have smashed through and walked over a lot of rough stuff and still going strong.
Last edited by wildwanderer on Thu 18 Jun, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 8:42 am

Tazz81 wrote:I’ve gone through 3 sets of Quagmire in 4 years mainly because of the under boot strap! Every time it snapped on me I turfed them at the end of the trip, which is not ideal for the environment/hip pocket ect. I decided to change brands to OR, so I’ll see how these go - but I’ll definitely try using a different cord.

The straps are easily replaced and sourced from most outdoors shops. Not expensive either, I think around $12 from Paddy’s.

https://seatosummit.com/product/gaiter- ... ment-pair/

I go through a pair of Quagmires every 1-2 years. It’s the Velcro that eventually comes apart for me.

I’ve heard good things about the One Planet Gaiters. After my current pair of Quamires bite the dust I’ll likely try those.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby headwerkn » Mon 29 Jun, 2020 9:29 pm

Tazz81 wrote:I’ve gone through 3 sets of Quagmire in 4 years mainly because of the under boot strap! Every time it snapped on me I turfed them at the end of the trip, which is not ideal for the environment/hip pocket ect. I decided to change brands to OR, so I’ll see how these go - but I’ll definitely try using a different cord.

Ditto. My current pair of Quagmires are about 15 months old and just about falling apart... under strap died 6 months ago though personally I don't miss it, press stud on one side failed some time ago. A hole has worn through on the inside of the boot ankle area. Bombproof they are not.
headwerkn

Postby north-north-west » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 3:06 pm

The strap is not a big issue for me - when they go they're replaced with anything from Dyneema to electrical wire. What really cheeses me off is the stitching on the front velcro closure - no matter how careful I am opening them, that stitching is invariably the first thing to fail.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 6:34 pm

I usually coat the stitching with some glue,silicone or some other gunk I have lying around, I do it for all stitching on the gaiter. I think it helps.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 7:59 pm

I've done that at various stages and it never lasts. Might try some aquaseal next. Or just junk the current pair and get some from Scott.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tino B » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:05 pm

All gaiters I own get modded straight away with Dynema guyline - always carry it for tricky pitches, pack hauling and field repairs.

The Wilderness Equipment ones are tough - not as light as some though. They stand up even when open at the top and resist twisting in heavy scrub.

I also have Berghaus Goretex with Cordura in high wear areas. They are more fitted so don’t get hung up on scrub or rock but don’t offer protection from bumps to the shins - surprisingly tough.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tino B » Tue 30 Jun, 2020 9:12 pm

Just looked up Tasgear gaiters - not available.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment