Thinking merino

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thinking merino

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 11:48 am

Have been trying my thinnish (thinner than the Aldi version) merino T shirt (weighs 160 gms for a smallish large-really a medium) not sure what weight it is per m2.
Love no lack of smell but the *&%$#! thing stays wet too long when I stop. Usual spots -under arms and back.
In comparison my Patagonia Capilene LW T shirt weighs 85 gms in and is nearly as warm, wets less and dries when I stop in about one to two minutes but the smell builds eventually.
I am a fairly quick/active walker and wear just enough to keep warm, minimising perspiration, but of course with a rucksack you are going to get sweaty.
Is there something I might try that is thinner-I know it will likely be more fragile-than the one I referred to above.
If I could afford it I may give it a go.
As I said not after Aldi stuff-tried it, it's too heavy (hot) my current merino Tshirt is a Torpedo7 one from a couple of years ago. It is thinner than the Adli version of the Tshirt of which I have three for travelling.
Not after a grid fleece or any other layers-just a thinnish merino baselayer. I've seen Brynje, Brubeck mentioned.I think some time back NBNW mentioned one company's merino?
Please throw any merino thin baselayers at me and I'll have a look at them. Would probably be alright were there a small amount nylon in there.
I will not criticise anyone's suggestions-but if it's alright I may ask some Qs of you.
Ta very much for any suggestions.
G
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 16 Jun, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Thinking merino

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 2:32 pm

Too thin?
I got this image from a legit clothing catalogue rather than anything dodgier. Mods remove if too offensive- I might be treading the wrong side of the line of decency.

Seriously though Lamont, I am interested in any replies you get to your query. I also find heavier Merino to stay damp longer than synthetics, yet also hate the 'tang' you get when wearing synths for a few days. I found my recent walk in my Aarn that I was sweatier than usual. Hopefully not an ominous sign for Summer, but rather a sign that I was COVID unfit?
Attachments
mesh shirt.jpg
mesh shirt.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 2:39 pm

No Muddy, even though it may look a bit whatever, and may look like a bit unusual it's very close to what I'm enquiring about -see below
I was just hoping someone in OZ could give me some real world feedback etc.
Although I put a pic of the polypropolene one up by accident-there is a merino version.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 16 Jun, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 2:45 pm

Well, I was jesting, but I can see, you are indeed after something similar. I would suppose that pack straps may cover anything too racy for you.

I would love something merino as light as my polartec 'delta' shirts that I bought from mountain designs some years ago. They are a slight step down from what you posted above, so I would not get arrested.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 2:48 pm

Wouldn't be seen -it's a base layer. :D
I know of people in Europe that swear by them and hoping some here can give me some guidance.
Looks like there's a Brynje Oz connection-minus VAT
see https://au.nordiclife.co.uk/collections ... mo-t-shirt
$67 and "Brynje Wool Thermo mesh T-shirt. Solid inlay fabric on shoulders for protection when using medium to heavy backpack. Lightweight, super efficient. Excellent moisture transport capability, insulates and dries better than anything. Made with 80% Merino wool and 20% Polyamid. The Merino means it stays fresh smelling for days, making it ideal for multi-day activities." 110 gms.

There is a women's version too. https://au.nordiclife.co.uk/collections ... shirt--but looks like the mens?
I know they are a bit more fragile and require handwashing but...
Seems might be excellent!
And what they call a light version-pic makes it look very much like Uniqlo Airism Mesh T shirts-which take ages to dry given how little fabric is in them.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (62.16 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 3:30 pm

You may have to be the Aussie guinea pig & let us know how they go....good reviews though...plus there's a polypropylene version.
https://au.nordiclife.co.uk/collections ... mo-t-shirt
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 3:50 pm

Yes, my first pic is the polypro one and they are much loved by Europeans-so why not us Ozzies?!
The issue I understand is fit/sizing-needs to be quite 'fitted' which makes purchase an issue. I am between a M and a L. Curses!
Happy to be the Guinea pig if I can sort that out and postage is not an arm and a leg.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cameron » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 4:05 pm

i dont have any info on the wool versions lamont but just a few comments to share,

i have purchased all my brynje baselayers from nordiclife.co.uk. they are a great company to deal with.
i use the super thermo model, in the A-shirt, C-shirt, T-shirt and the long sleeve shirt, all in polypropylene.
i use the super thermo year round, and just choose one of the 4 types i just mentioned depending on weather and activity intensity.
they are not that fragile, i wash them in a top loader machine on gentle cycle, sometimes on normal cycle, no probs after a few years of use.
i use them for bushwalking, running and road cycling. highly recommended.
i will admit i do walk around the house with only the brynje on sometimes if my wife needs a laugh.

ps: re: sizing, all 4 types i wear in a medium. i am 187cm, 74kgs, chest 101cm. skinny but wide shoulders. they have a fair bit of stretch, would be better to go a medium rather then a large if your inbetween sizes in my opinion.
cameron
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 4:31 pm

cameron wrote:i dont have any info on the wool versions lamont but just a few comments to share,

i have purchased all my brynje baselayers from nordiclife.co.uk. they are a great company to deal with.
ps: re: sizing, all 4 types i wear in a medium. i am 187cm, 74kgs, chest 101cm. skinny but wide shoulders. they have a fair bit of stretch, would be better to go a medium rather then a large if your inbetween sizes in my opinion.

Ah ha! Just what I wanted to know-Thanks Cameron. I understood going down a size a bit might be best for being in between sizes, ta for the confirmation and on on the shop as well. Nordiclife is the link I provided isn't it?
Do you understand the stretch by any chance to be there on the merino as well? (I'm not after the polypro at all). It does have 20% poly 80% merino?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cameron » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 5:42 pm

yeah no worries lamont, your welcome.
yep, that link you provided is the one i have used, all good.
sorry mate, i have no experience with any of their merino products, i would just be speculating.
cameron
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 6:05 pm

cameron wrote:yeah no worries lamont, your welcome.
yep, that link you provided is the one i have used, all good.
sorry mate, i have no experience with any of their merino products, i would just be speculating.

No worries, thanks.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 6:57 pm

Just a note - I learnt the hard way that silverfish and/or moths just love to snack on IceBreaker wool in the wardrobe. When not in use clean them and store them in 'seal it' bags otherwise use some pest control in the wardrobe.

For my base layer I prefer to use a combination of 'Klima' polypro (SkinFit/Austrian) and just on top thin merino 175s (IceBreaker/NZ). I basically live in my base layer SkinFits 24/7 throughout the autumn/winter - fabulous.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 5:35 am

I use a polypro mesh base (Brynje styled but from a cycling clothing manufacturer) for x-country skiing and cycling when it will be predictably cold. I am a heavy sweater and endorse the concept for aerobic cold weather activities.

But for bushwalking I see an issue - most walks I do have a mix of both cold-cool and warm weather. So, pretty much I walk in a base layer unless it's cold, wet or windy enough to put on a mid layer or shell - this prevents me from overheating and also provides the UV layer I need in alpine areas. Even in winter in the snow this is my walking/snowshoeing setup as I can still get pretty hot on a mild sunny day.

So, I couldn't use a mesh layer as a base as there is 0 UV protection (let alone the doubtful aesthetics!).

so that means a mesh base + another baselayer 'cap'. Suddenly I now have two layers so when it heats up in the middle of the day and/or I am working hard I have two baselayers to contend with. I would likely find this to be too insulating.

The alternative is that I stop, take off the fishnet and continue with baselayer 2 - when it gets cold again - put the fishnet back on. That would work but too much of a pain in the butt swapping baselayers around all day.

Practically speaking, when walking hard with a pack 40% of my surface area (my back) is getting wet with sweat, staying wet, and won't dry until I stop. Moisture management for me is about staying warm when I stop for breaks during the day and also for the other 50% or so of body surface area on my torso that faces the air. I don't see a mesh base as the answer for me but, in saying that, have never actually tried mine for overnight or multiday walks. It would no doubt work well for predictable cold and wet conditions.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment