Snow camping Mont Epoch

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Snow camping Mont Epoch

Postby celesteandsam » Sun 24 May, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and new to snow camping. I'm looking at getting the Mont Epoch but I just can't see enough reviews about it to see peoples opinions. If anyone has it or has heard anything about it can you please give me any advice.
Also if anyone has some must-do tips for snow camping or must have equipment I would love to hear about it all.

Thanks in advance.
celesteandsam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Snow camping Mont Epoch

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 24 May, 2020 1:41 pm

Do a forum search for "Snow camping 101" and you will find lots of information and links.
The Epoch has a very good and well deserved reputation but its downside is that it is heavy. Never used or owned one but seen plenty of them in use
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 25 May, 2020 9:14 am

The Epoch is an expedition tent and overkill for our conditions. Its too heavy and too fiddly in my opinion. If you are a beginner, I encourage you not to pitch your tent above the treeline and exposed. By avoiding that you will never need something like the Epoch in this country. I'd look at a tunnel tent like the Wilderness Equipment first/Second Arrow or Hilleberg Nallo. They are great in the wind, lighter, the inner and fly pitch together and they handle snow well.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 25 May, 2020 12:44 pm

I don't agree about the overkill.
I've seen stronger tents than the Epoch destroyed in a High Plains storm in the past.
Lighter yes but not necessarily stronger under heavy snow loads and the extended vestibule is good for cooking and gear storage.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby celesteandsam » Tue 26 May, 2020 8:49 pm

Thank you for the advice, i'll definitely be working my way up to above snow line over the winter season might even not be until next year, this year will be a bit of trial and error of equipment. I have looked at the WE tents ill go back and do a bit more research.
celesteandsam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 26 May, 2020 9:02 pm

We all started with no snow experience, there is a first time for everybody.
Also some people have very high comfort expectations and others are happy to do some roughing it.
Personally I don't advise trying to rough it out except perhaps for a single night and not for the first night
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Trizzo » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 12:11 pm

Moondancer2 will be cheaper and more felxible, you can get it Mesh or Full Nlyon inner. Snowcraft (snow walls, site selection, forecast) is key to making a tent work above the treeline. Previously mentioned WE Hilleberg tents will get it done too. Honorable mention for Nemo Kunai but it's really only a 1p tent. Moondancer 1 Full Nylon is also coming out soon, keeping a close eye to see if the weight is actually 1600grams because that's what they said they are aiming for.
Trizzo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: New South Wales

Postby hikingoz » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 2:14 pm

Zapruda wrote:The Epoch is an expedition tent and overkill for our conditions. Its too heavy and too fiddly in my opinion. If you are a beginner, I encourage you not to pitch your tent above the treeline and exposed. By avoiding that you will never need something like the Epoch in this country. I'd look at a tunnel tent like the Wilderness Equipment first/Second Arrow or Hilleberg Nallo. They are great in the wind, lighter, the inner and fly pitch together and they handle snow well.

I second this advice. Said very similar thing to someone else just recently. A nice tunnel tent is a more versatile option if you are selective about where you camp.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby markg » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 9:36 pm

There is a guy on youtube "bush channel". He has a few vids about snow camping and he uses a Mont Epoch. Might be worth a look to you. Get a quality sleeping bag and a high R value pad. A gas canister stove that you can invert the fuel canister is helpful too. Hilleberg have just released a Black label version of the Soulo tent also. Great tent is now even better. Single only though.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment