MSR Reactor pot support

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR Reactor pot support

Postby Claustral » Fri 13 Mar, 2020 6:34 pm

Has anyone used one of these with a Reactor?
This vented support looks like it might be OK. Obviously you lose a proportion of heat this way, but can use a pan.

I saw one example of a home-made support (from an old canister) that had no venting and he cooked the burner.
Claustral
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: MSR Reactor pot support

Postby Ned Kelly » Sat 14 Mar, 2020 8:38 am

I have the ti one on the top image. Was useless and just sold my reactor and purchased a Soto Windmaster which boils faster and is so much lighter and can simmer etc. Very happy with it
Ned Kelly
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Claustral » Sat 14 Mar, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks. Helpful!

My main use is snow camping so Reactor may still be the go. Soto would certainly be lighter though.
Claustral
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:00 am

If you are planning on melting snow with your Reactor inside your tent, be aware that the Reactor emits lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
I can support this claim with actual lab measurements I have made and published. Those measurements were the reason MSR pulled the stove off the market at launch for a few months while they tried to improve the air flow inwards. They got a small improvement, but the stove is still lethal in any small space, especially when you turn it down from full power. There are now warnings all over the Reactor and the pot about this.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Claustral » Sun 15 Mar, 2020 7:42 am

Thanks Roger I had seen that and specifically your data. With a DCF tent there won’t be any cooking inside!
Claustral
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 16 Mar, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks Roger I had seen that and specifically your data. With a DCF tent there won’t be any cooking inside!

That might depend a bit on the weather outside?
Here in Sydney we have been having 'a wee bit of rain'.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment