One-person tent recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One-person tent recommendations

Postby mikethepike » Fri 14 Feb, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi Everyone
I'm headed to NZ on Friday for a few weeks of walking and it's finally dawned on me that it's time that I got my *&%$#! together. I hope you can help!
Basically, all I want is to get a tent that is lightweight, packs small, keeps rain out, doesn't have problems with condensation (especially that!) and doesn't cost a year's supply of beer. Under 1400g would be ideal but better 50g extra weight than four times that in water content in a wet sleeping bag. Just when I decide on a tent I like, I read or hear something negative about it. (I've fussed over repair of an old Sierra Designs tent which was brilliant (1.35kg and never any sign of condensation) but is now beyond it, I think.) Free-standing or semi free-standing would be nice but not essential.
I know that there's heaps of discussions on tents here but my brain's just about frazzled from reading reviews with the same tent getting everything from 2 to 5 stars, with much of the difference in score apparently due to different experiences in how dry or wet people get in them.
I would greatly appreciate you bothering to reply with your thoughts and recommendation.
Thanks mightily! Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: One-person tent recommendations

Postby Lamont » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 5:00 am

Where are you Mike?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 7:02 am

Does it need to be able to handle both high winds and large snow loads?
Mostly I read that tents for New Zealand conditions need to be more substantial than 1400 grams if both wind and snow are expected. I think rain is a given over there
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 2:21 pm

For NZ it really depends on what your doing. If hutting then an emergency tarp or bivy would be enough.

If you're tramping and camping valleys then quality 3 season tent with around a 3000 hydrostatic head fly and floor. Speaking of flys... Get something with a very good bug net to protect you from the sandfly's. I'd recommend a bit of room to sit up in because if you're pitched in a sandfly infested grass flat your going to be doing virtually everything in your tent. (And a headnet/gloves for when your cooking outside.

If you're regularly planning to camp in the alpine regions then 4 season tent. Though you can likely get away occasionally using a quality 3+ season in sheltered locations during the non winter seasons. Especially if there is a nearby hut you can bail to if unexpected gale force weather comes in.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby mikethepike » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 3:24 pm

Lamont wrote:Where are you Mike?

Lil Ol Adelaide. That any good? Thanks Lamont.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikethepike » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 3:27 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Does it need to be able to handle both high winds and large snow loads?
Mostly I read that tents for New Zealand conditions need to be more substantial than 1400 grams if both wind and snow are expected. I think rain is a given over there

Wind and rain but will try to keep out of snowfalls. I'm on Te Araroa inj paret eg Richmong Range. Whta has made me a bit complacent is that in previous NZ trips I am yet to strke foul weather.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikethepike » Sat 15 Feb, 2020 3:29 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Does it need to be able to handle both high winds and large snow loads?

Wind and rain but will try to keep out of snowfalls. I'm on Te Araroa in part eg Richmond Range. What has made me a bit complacent is that in previous NZ trips I am yet to strike foul weather. Poor visibility alone will keep me low if I have any choice on the matter. Thanks.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 8:17 am

I'm still happy with my Goondie. My extensive review is at: viewtopic.php?t=8031
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 8:38 am

Hi MTP
Goondies are good,
if you use poles then an XMid below the treeline,
or one of the Wilderness Equipment Hubba derivatives Space 1 etc
may something small from MacPac like a Microlight??
Lots of choices
John
Last edited by johnrs on Mon 17 Feb, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby alanoutgear » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 11:40 am

How about one of the Big Sky one person tents. External poles and integral pitch means you can pitch the tent in the rain without getting the inner wet. Also very strong in the wind. External pitch tents generally don't like huge snow loads but if that's not an issue these will withstand just about anything. The one person Revolution weighs just over 1.1kg with the fabric inner. There also the Big Sky Chinook that comes in 1p, 1.5p, and 2p, and it is even stronger.

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/big ... -tent.html
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby mikethepike » Tue 18 Feb, 2020 11:05 am

Thanks Alan and John for your recommendations for Blue Sky and Goondie (vaguely new to me and a very helpful review!). Someone offered me a BS Revolution (bwa private email) and it does look a great tent but I turned it down on price, something I hope I don't come to regret! I'll use an existing tent in NZ and that's something that I also hope I don't come to regret! (Not dangerous but just uncomfortable for space and condensation but I've used it there before. I will take my light bivvy bag which I hope will keep the sleeping bag dry.) I will look at the tent issue again in a few weeks time once I get back home. My next tent will get use in snow but I reckon a 2P tent is better rather than two 1P tents if there's 2 people. My favourite tent, a Sierra Designs UL is now beyond its use-by-date but apparently they are no longer permitted to export them to Australia. Anyone got any info on that. (That's what the company informed me but I thought they were talking about private sales but I think now they mean all sales including to Aust'n retail outlets. Due to USA Gov't ruling regarding trade deals or something similar. That is what someone told me anyway. cheers, Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment