wanted to see a Hilleberg Atko Adelaide

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: wanted to see a Hilleberg Atko Adelaide

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 3:54 pm

Ivor wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Is even the SoLong too short?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30764

Hi, do you think that it would withstand winds and snow? Do you know if there is a 4 season of it available?
Its certainly long enough though!!

Better to ask the seller directly But perhaps not, I know how harsh our conditions can be above the snow line
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 5:32 pm

The fly doesnt seem to reach very low. So wind getting under it could be an issue. Though.. a magic carpet ride could be fun :P
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 6:16 pm

I have seen the Scarp under snow (including mine) but I have never seen A SoLong with snow about.
Keep in mind that the Scarp was not specifically designed to be a 4 season tent but it does OK with the added X poles (you don't need them for 3 season weather...)
Lightweight Winter-4.jpg

http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/20 ... inter.html
BTW, the first name for the Scarp was Iceland.
That was the name we used to refer to that project, a tent for Henry to use in Iceland.
As Henry was tinkering with the design I kept sending in pro and cons of somewhat similar designed tents.
They all started from a Robert Saunders design and several manufacturers since have added and modified that.
A couple of problems that had to be overcome were the complexity of set up of a certain british design and the fact that the Akto ends collapsed under snow.
And that is how those pitchloc corners came about as well as the addition of the X poles...
And just for fun , for all those that see "Duplex" copies, yes Robers Saunders also designed a "Duplex", about 40 years before the Duplex...
(The Saunders Base Packer)
Last edited by Franco on Mon 10 Feb, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 8:11 pm

Found lots on the wayback machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20090125040 ... frame.html
There was a thread on BPL a while ago about somebody wanting to clone the above tent in modern materials
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment