Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner - silk or silk/cotton?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner - silk or silk/cotton?

Postby Joynz » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 5:26 pm

Wanting to get a liner. Have never used one before but want something to use with my air mat/quilt. I also don’t really like being constricted!

Looking at the rectangular Sea to Summit silk (ripstop, with stretch panels) which is 92cm wide or the rectangular Sea to Summit silk/cotton blend travel version (88cm wide).

Weight is not hugely different.

Any thoughts or experiences with these two?
Last edited by Joynz on Sun 12 Jan, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Sea to Summit liner - silk or silk/cotton?

Postby ribuck » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 7:41 pm

I started with the S2S silk liner, but it was just too complicated getting in and out in the dark with the stretchy panels and feeling I had to rotate them to the side.

I switched to the wider, rectangular, cotton blend and never looked back - despite the slight extra weight. The only thing that would improve it for me would be an extra 2cm of length. I'm 180cm tall but I like to wrap it around my shoulders.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Sea to Summit liner - silk or silk/cotton?

Postby Neo » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 7:55 pm

In my gearfreak days I got an STS silk liner, the double size.

Was ok for one and as a travel 'body sock'. It is only 6 foot or 1.8m so I was always arely fitted.
It didn't get much use and one day got mum to sew it up the middle, making two singles!

The silk is nice. I have never even bothered trying to use it inside a sleeping bag...

Good as a standalone light covering for hot nights or travel. I would guess the newer stretch model may be more comfortable.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Sea to Summit sleeping bag liner - silk or silk/cotton?

Postby Joynz » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 7:08 am

Thanks Ribuck & Neo for that feedback.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 12:00 pm

Not sure exactly which model liners you are referring to as the descriptions don’t match their website and the site links themselves dont work properly, but if weight is not significantly different then cotton blend would be choice as it feels better for hot and cold conditions. Silk is extremely lightweight and compact but in hot weather can be a little clammy feeling.

It depends what is your main use. If travelling the cotton is better in the tropics, soaks up sweat and needs less washing, while silk more compact when rolled up.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Joynz » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi AI M - here are the links to the two mentioned in the OP.

https://www.snowys.com.au/premium-silk- ... ectangular (130g)

https://www.snowys.com.au/silk-cotton-travel-liner (142g)

There is also a larger version of the silk/cotton liner:
https://www.snowys.com.au/silk-cotton-liner-traveller (168g)
Attachments
C90C5289-89A7-448F-B913-75E428ECFB35.png
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rai » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 6:06 pm

I have a silk liner from another brand which appears to be similar to the S2S traveler version i.e. it has a pillow insert. The pillow insert makes it very awkward to use if I need to sit up. Every time I sit up, the insert also lifts up and it takes a lot of fiddling to adjust it back under the head when lying down again. You can't get into the liner from the side like you would for a sleeping bag. I think I will either cut off the pillow insert or split it on one side like a sleeping bag with velcro tabs. Having said that, I recently loaned the liner to a friend who used it in her sleeping bag on a coolish night and was quite happy with it. So in hindsight, I wouldn't choose one with pillow insert for a wriggler like me.
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Joynz » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks for that feedback.

I’m leaning towards the cotton/silk version with a pillow insert because it’s 4cm wider than the other silk/cotton one pictured.

However, I expect to lay it over my inflatable pillow rather than insert the pillow into it.

I do wish the sea to summit liners weren’t such a dark blue (great for hiding dirt - also great for hiding bugs!)

Edit: just tried to order one but Snowys is out of stock until early Feb! I need it late January.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 9:35 pm

Joynz I could send you the second half of my silk liner. It is a spare I will probably never need.

When as a double it was cut in half and sewn, I left one side a bit open to make it easier for getting in. On the half silk that I occasionally use, I added press studs but that didn't go so well. The 'spare' half on offer is plain. Let me know!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi Neo
That’s a very kind offer.

As it turns out, I ended up ordering the silk & cotton liner from WildFire this evening. It was more expensive than Snowys, but will arrive in time
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 12:46 am

Good choice. The pillow version can be good as the head has lots of oils and dribbles that can dirty up sleeping bags and in hostels helps with nits and covers pillows for hygiene. Also helps to keep an air pillow in place while tenting on mattress. Just have to learn to use it.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 5:27 pm

A nice glamping option, particularly when travelling OS re hygiene and feeling a bit more like home. I do like the version with stretch sides being a restless sleeper.

But for bushwalking, they are bad weight. Sleeping with a loose fitting base layer works just as well and can be used on track if it gets cold.

I'd go for a nice Merino base layer and keep the liner for base camp/car/travelling.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 5:43 pm

I tend to agree re. weight. I may get the silk one as well in future!

This one is mainly to act as a sleeping bag if it gets too hot to sleep under my -4 (comfort rating) quilt.

I was a bit warm in some NZ huts last year - but couldn’t throw off the bag because of mosquitoes!

I won’t have to carry a sleeping bag or mat for the two walks I’ll be doing in NZ early next month - so the weight isn’t such an issue.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment