Sawyer Squeeze restoration?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sawyer Squeeze restoration?

Postby johnct » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 2:29 pm

I bought a Sawyer Squeeze a bit over a year ago, used it on a few trips and was happy with the flow rate etc. I backwashed it each trip but didn't run disinfectant through it as I thought that would taste awful. (Someone later suggested Milton anti-bacterial solution which is used for babies' bottles.) I ended up not using the Squeeze for about 9 months and when I tried it again the flow rate was almost non-existent.

Has anyone had this problem and found a way to rejuvenate it i.e. restore the flow rate?
johnct
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Sawyer Squeeze restoration?

Postby ribuck » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 3:46 pm

If you haven't used it for a while and it has dried out, a crust may have formed on the membrane. Try backwashing with hot water.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lamont » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 4:02 pm

johnct wrote:I bought a Sawyer Squeeze a bit over a year ago, used it on a few trips and was happy with the flow rate etc. I backwashed it each trip but didn't run disinfectant through it as I thought that would taste awful. (Someone later suggested Milton anti-bacterial solution which is used for babies' bottles.) I ended up not using the Squeeze for about 9 months and when I tried it again the flow rate was almost non-existent.

Has anyone had this problem and found a way to rejuvenate it i.e. restore the flow rate?

Tried vinegar?
It's what I use on the shower heads at home-I like this bloke-makes some good DIY video as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmdm9Q0pek
worth a crack.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Warin » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 4:47 pm

Back flushed with tap water?

Some think that the tap water additives clog the filter ..

Me? I think put the water through the filter from the dirty side to the clean side first .. then back flush using the filtered water.. YMMV.

As for the germ killer .. just do it.

Then blow air through the filter -dries it out inhibiting mould growth. (I'd wait for the bushfire smoke to clear first.)

Before the next use .. check it works and that it does not add any tastes.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Birdman » Sun 16 Feb, 2020 8:06 pm

I had the same problem after not using it for almost a year. Almost no flow. However, the flow did restore after using it for a few days and several back flushes. Now it runs great again. Next time I will soak it for a few days before I start a new walk.
My walking and travel reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnct » Sun 16 Feb, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks everyone,
I’ll try some of these. But how would I know whether the internal structure is still intact and not just letting the nasties through?
johnct
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Birdman » Sun 16 Feb, 2020 10:25 pm

johnct wrote:Thanks everyone,
I’ll try some of these. But how would I know whether the internal structure is still intact and not just letting the nasties through?

Yes, that is always the problem with these filters. There is really no way you can tell. I have in the past thrown out a filter because it might have been frozen and I didn't want to take any risks.

I estimate that my current filter has treated >700 litres of water now and I have never been sick. Not that this proves anything....
My walking and travel reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment