Remote canister stove recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Remote canister stove recommendations

Postby ConnorH » Sat 14 Dec, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi there, I'm hoping for some recommendations on a remote canister gas stove for use by Scouts. Looking to replace Kovea Moonwalker, and considering the same, or Fire Maple FMS-118 or similar. Small folded size is a plus, as is stability and modest cost. Weight is less important, so doesn't need to be titanium. (Gear is spread amongst 6-8 people).

We add adapters to allow use of tall butane canisters. Most hiking is in summer and shoulder months around Sydney, so low temperature performance not so important.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Remote canister stove recommendations

Postby keithy » Sat 14 Dec, 2019 9:49 pm

I have the Firemaple FMS117T, the FMS117H (aka Blade II) and the FMS118. Also an older FMS105. If you don't need the preheat tube on the FMS118 or FMS117H or titanium like the FMS117T go with the older FMS105 but they are about 100g heavier .

Be aware that some have had issues with the valve on the FMS117/T. I got given one with a valve issue and I have cannibalised it for the working parts.

For cheaper options I reviewed a copy of the FMS117 called a Dpower stove back in 2015 and it's still going strong although the steel mesh on the hose has some sharp bits now viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20780
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby ConnorH » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks keithy, much appreciated.
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TML MHz » Mon 16 Dec, 2019 3:32 pm

Don't forget to check your state branch policies on requiring certification of the stove. In Victoria, a camping stove is considered a gas appliance, and it needs to be certified and carry the certificate number (see https://esv.vic.gov.au/technical-inform ... nd-hiring/)

I tend to be a scofflaw for this for my personal stove. I use a Kovea Spider which does not have certification as I imported direct via eBay (it is an excellent stove by the way). And the tags with the certificate number tend to be large relative to the size of the stove.

But I would be much more cautious buying for my Group, and would restrict myself to certified stoves - you don't want to invest in a set of stoves and find you are not allowed to use them, as well as the potential liability issues.
TML MHz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ConnorH » Fri 20 Dec, 2019 9:43 pm

TML MHz wrote:Don't forget to check your state branch policies on requiring certification of the stove.

Good point, thanks.
ConnorH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Sat 21 Dec, 2019 6:30 pm

I have a Kovea 4. Lucky price secondhand on gumtree.

The three leg design is prone to tipping off a frypan. Otherwise really like it as my current carcamping stove.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment