Khul Radikl hybrid pants - fabric OK for hiking?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Khul Radikl hybrid pants - fabric OK for hiking?

Postby Joynz » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 10:09 am

I came upon a pair of Khul Radikl hiking pants yesterday. They seem very innovative and comfortable (see details below).

My question is about the fabric.

The majority of the pants fabric is what they call ‘enduro’ fabric which is a 68% cotton, 29% nylon and 3% spandex.

Is it really OK to wear a cotton blend on longer hiking trips? I have mostly hiked with light woven nylon pants and we’ve all heard the ‘never hike with cotton’ mantra!).

However, these Khul pants have great features: 4-way stretch gusseted crotch (nylon/spandex), a stretch back waist panel as well as stretch inserts down the outside seam of each leg and a stretch panel just under the articulated knees too.

The gusseted crotch tapers from about 8cm at the top and extends all the way to the knee, tapering to about 3cm. Airy and comfy!

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants/radikl/
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Khul Radikl hybrid pants - fabric OK for hiking?

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 11:02 am

It really depends where your hiking.

If its dry hot arid environments like central Australia, then cotton blend will be fine. Comfortable and breathable.

If your hiking in New Zealand / Tassie or anywhere else where there is a a lot of rain, wind and low temps then cotton is not a good idea. Once it becomes wet it takes a long time to dry and is cold against the skin. eg easy to get hypothermia.

Also factor in how long you will be hiking for and the remoteness of the trail.

If you’re walking for a few hours around your local state park, on a frequently used trail, with mobile reception and many nearby exits to suburbia then getting wet from an unexpected downpour is not the end of the world and you can self evac safely and easily.

Conversely if you’re doing a multi-day route, in remote territory with no easy self evac then the clothes your wearing are of utmost importance.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 11:14 am

I will also add that the kuhl pant material looks thick and heavy. (though Im just going by the picture)

I mainly look for thin and light material for hiking pants. More comfortable, drys quicker, breathes better.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 11:33 am

The fabric is actually light/medium weight - probably because of the proportion of nylon in the blend.

Similar in weight/feel to the typical hiking pants you get from any well known brand these days.

I guess I am trying to determine if the proportion of nylon counteracts the presence of the cotton.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 11:54 am

Joynz wrote:I guess I am trying to determine if the proportion of nylon counteracts the presence of the cotton.

No. cotton is cotton. and in this case its 68% of the garment.

found a review for you. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... uhl-radikl essentially says the same thing as I mentioned above. Will be good for dry climates. not good for wet ones.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 4:02 pm

I have had a couple of pairs or Kuhl cotton/nylon pants in my time but not the radikl.
The fabric is ligjtweight and breathable but jt is still predominately cotton. If there is a chance of getting wet and cold the Kuhl fabric will certainly be bettet than jeans but not as fast dryjing as 100% synthetic
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone - really helpful.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 25 Nov, 2019 7:15 am

Although an contrary and more old-fashioned viewpoint is that cotton can absorb more of a water resistant treatment such as Nikwax and thus negate the disadvantage, but my own experience with cotton blends is that unless heavily treated it is better for warm weather walking and for warm weather walking it's better to leave untreated
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment