Alloy walking pole. Big Crack mid pole

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Alloy walking pole. Big Crack mid pole

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 1:07 pm

As luck would have it on day 2 of a recent 4 day NZ trip I discovered a whopping big crack in my aluminium hiking pole.
Clearly the gods were having a laugh as that night I would be camping at almost 1400m on an exposed ridge line using it as the centre pole for my mid style tarp!

Fortunately, the bad luck streak didn’t run too deep and the winds were quite mild that night 30-40 km/h with a bit of rain.

Anyhow... I’m surprised. It’s a good quality, strong Komperdell pole and the crack is large. Its mid pole so doesn’t reach either end.

Manufacturing flaw or just wear and tear?

Pole is about 3 years old and has had no mishaps that would cause a bend or critical failure etc in the alloy.

pole.jpg
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Alloy walking pole. Big Crack mid pole

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 2:13 pm

I would say a manufacturing defect.
Aluminum tube is normally extruded out of solid but if it is tapered it may be rolled and welded.
I remember putting in some stainless tube once for a water line and it turned in to a sprinkler system as the weld was missed right along the seam.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 2:20 pm

Is that corrosion or its normal finish?
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 2:28 pm

Its oxidation. According to this https://www.wileymetal.com/aluminum-cor ... n-it-does/ it doesn't effect the alloy significantly apart from appearance

Thanks MFF. I can't see any join so it seems to be a seamless aluminum.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment