2P 3 season tent recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

2P 3 season tent recommendations

Postby ambling » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 10:20 am

Hi folks,
I've been lurking on the forums for a little while but this is my first post. Hope it's ok!

I've finally decided to buy a new tent after using an old Aussie Disposals hiking tent for the last few years (which has done the job pretty well until a very wet night in Wilsons Prom recently where it seemed water was seeping through the floor). I'm a relative newbie to multi day hikes (been on a handful of trips over the last 2 years or so) but, all being well, I'll be doing the South Coast Track in January so it seems a good time to invest in a tent.

I've mostly hiked in Victoria, and not in winter (thus far at least) so I'm looking at 3 season (mesh inner) tents - I assume this will be ok in a Tassie summer?
I'm hoping for a 2 person tent not much above the 1.5kg mark, though I'm wondering if I should be open to a bit more weight for durability's sake - maybe up to 2kg?

A few that have caught my eye are:
Big Sky Revolution 2P https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/big ... -tent.html
One Planet Goondie 2P https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... ie-2-mesh/
And maybe the MSR Hubba Hubba

Are there others that folks would recommend?
How important is a fly first pitch? That seems a big selling point of the Big Sky.
Is the extra weight worth it for the added strength of the Goondie 30D fly?

I don't splurge on gear often so I want something that has a fair chance of lasting a good few years. Obviously it'll need to stand up to rain quite well for SW Tassie. I've only been looking at freestanding tents as I don't have any experience with trekking pole or tarp tents and don't want to overestimate my pitching abilities!
I tried out a Tarp Tent Double Rainbow recently on a cold night at Beeripmo but the condensation seemed like it would bother me.

Many thanks!
ambling
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: 2P 3 season tent recommendations

Postby north-north-west » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 1:52 pm

Maybe WE Second Arrow, although not all mesh. Front and back of the inner have very large mesh sections with zip covers, plus the rear of the fly can be opened up which means it breathes really well.
What is the budget?

The big advantage of fly first or integral pitch is that the inner doesn't get rained on while you're pitching. Plus, in bad weather you can dress and pack under the fly and keep everything dry during the process. Then just drop the fly and pack it with poles and pegs. I've also done a quick basic pitch of the fly when a sudden storm has hit, and sheltered under that until things settled - you can't do that with most inner first tents.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 3:11 pm

ambling wrote:Hi folks,
I've been lurking on the forums for a little while but this is my first post. Hope it's ok!

A few that have caught my eye are:
Big Sky Revolution 2P https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/big ... -tent.html
One Planet Goondie 2P https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... ie-2-mesh/
And maybe the MSR Hubba Hubba

Are there others that folks would recommend?
How important is a fly first pitch? That seems a big selling point of the Big Sky.

I have owned both the BSR2 and the Goondie 2 30D. Only sold them on as I went smaller and lighter. Both excellent.
Just so you know the Big Sky Revolution 2 doesn't really pitch fly first-(unless you get a few cords etc) it is made to go up in one unit and remain attached to the inner. It is very quick. You can pitch it easily with two pegs on the porches if there is no wind and it will be (and remain) drum tight. There are clips that would allow you to disassemble it but you would need the kit to do it. It is an excellent tent. A proper two person tent. Like a palace in there.
The Goondie 2 is tapered and narrower than the BSR2. But also an excellent tent and very tough in the 30D.
Good hunting.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Al M » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 9:45 pm

In the budget range of $700 there are lots of other options and here is a good review list of nearly all the possible options
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... cking-tent

A sub 1.3kg tent like a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 would be good. The weight saving is in the fabric so gets thinner but if treated well they can still last 10 years. The difference might be like in a heavy storm the fabric gets stretched and holds up less to high winds. A lightish weight, non sweaty and wind resistant tent would be best.

Perhaps choose one from the review list that is available in Aust that you can visually see in a nearby shop.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tino B » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 11:54 pm

I can vouch for the Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow. I've been using a DCF tarp the past few years, but before that had an NZ made Macpac Minaret and Olympus - both now ancient.

This year I got back into alpine touring and wanted a tent that could withstand snow, was light enough for solo, and could fit 2 people. I did a lot of research, and with a Bogong Equipment membership discount, the WE Second Arrow was great for price, features,, weight and durability. Although the inner is suited to alpine conditions, it has a lot of venting options, and I get little to no condensation. It's light enough at 1.83kg, but will withstand most conditions experienced in Australia. It's luxurious for one and can fit two comfortably enough. Some don't like tunnel tents, but the design is proven, and the vestibule is very flexible in the way it can be set up, with ample room for gear.

The advantages over a Goondie are that the fly can go right to the ground (good for snow or Tassie rain) and it pitches with the fly and inner together. Pitching takes a couple of minutes. You can get a good pitch with as few as 3 pegs, it's not freestanding - but close. It is bombproof If you use all the stake out points and guy lines.

A good option for hot summer days is a fly only pitch with a Sea to Summit Nano treated bug net.

I ditch the nifty bag it comes with and use an UL dry bag to reduce packed volume, and so I can put it in my pack with the rest of my gear when it's wet.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ambling » Thu 14 Nov, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks for the responses folks!
Lamont wrote:Just so you know the Big Sky Revolution 2 doesn't really pitch fly first-(unless you get a few cords etc) it is made to go up in one unit and remain attached to the inner. It is very quick. You can pitch it easily with two pegs on the porches if there is no wind and it will be (and remain) drum tight. There are clips that would allow you to disassemble it but you would need the kit to do it. It is an excellent tent. A proper two person tent. Like a palace in there.
The Goondie 2 is tapered and narrower than the BSR2. But also an excellent tent and very tough in the 30D.
Good hunting.

Ahh I think I misunderstood the BSR pitch slightly, I haven't seen one in person yet. You make it sound like a very enticing prospect though! How does the exoskeleton fare in windy conditions?

north-north-west wrote:Maybe WE Second Arrow, although not all mesh. Front and back of the inner have very large mesh sections with zip covers, plus the rear of the fly can be opened up which means it breathes really well.

WE Second Arrow looks good but I'm pretty keen on having two doors to keep the peace with my hiking companion.

Al M wrote:A sub 1.3kg tent like a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 would be good. The weight saving is in the fabric so gets thinner but if treated well they can still last 10 years. The difference might be like in a heavy storm the fabric gets stretched and holds up less to high winds. A lightish weight, non sweaty and wind resistant tent would be best.

I did look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur and a couple of Nemo tents but I was concerned with such thin fabrics that they might not hold up so well. Also it seems like the waterhead ratings are not so good?
ambling
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stry » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 6:22 am

Of the two on your short list, the BSR probably wins with pitching speed and space.

I don't have one, but have seen one in use and it all seemed to be very quick and easy.

The exoskeleton would almost certainly be a snow trap, but light falls would be no issue, and snow isn't in your plans so no problem.

Freestanding is very convenient, and needs to be experienced to be appreciated.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 8:29 am

ambling wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Maybe WE Second Arrow, although not all mesh. Front and back of the inner have very large mesh sections with zip covers, plus the rear of the fly can be opened up which means it breathes really well.

WE Second Arrow looks good but I'm pretty keen on having two doors to keep the peace with my hiking companion.

Inner can be opened from either side or both at once as it has bi-directional zips with four sets of sliders. Ditto with the fly. So in some ways it is a two door tent.
You need to see one in the flesh to appreciate them. But, like any tent, they aren't for everyone.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 3:26 pm

ambling wrote:Thanks for the responses folks!
Lamont wrote:Just so you know the Big Sky Revolution 2 doesn't really pitch fly first-(unless you get a few cords etc) it is made to go up in one unit and remain attached to the inner. It is very quick. You can pitch it easily with two pegs on the porches if there is no wind and it will be (and remain) drum tight. There are clips that would allow you to disassemble it but you would need the kit to do it. It is an excellent tent. A proper two person tent. Like a palace in there.
Good hunting.

Ahh I think I misunderstood the BSR pitch slightly, I haven't seen one in person yet. You make it sound like a very enticing prospect though! How does the exoskeleton fare in windy conditions?

Fine. It's very solid.
How much wind are you talking? Generally a 'three season conditions' tent/shelter which you requested handles winds about 50-60 ks odd and a light 8-10cms snow load as was explained to me when I asked the question of Dan Durston and that is what I was referring to with the BSR2.
This wouldn't be an issue I don't believe but the fly not dropping to the ground might?
The bathtub level is quite high though but very strong wind (and what ever it's carrying) would get in.
The Goondie would be tougher and four season capable with the lower fly model they sell (and a good deal heavier) I believe.
I found this video of the Arrow https://vimeo.com/356946009 looks nice.
Ingress and egress a bit of stuffing around tho in the wet?
What about a different Tarptent model? They seem good value?
Good tramping.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 5:24 pm

Well, since you've mentioned the Dan Durston tents, the 2pp would fit the criteria nicely.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ambling » Sat 23 Nov, 2019 3:53 pm

So I'd decided on the Big Sky Revolution only to discover that Backpacking Light are having supply issues with Big Sky (as apparently everyone does!) and despite the website saying they're in stock they in fact have no idea when they might turn up.

And I've left it too late to order from overseas (need it by Jan 1) so it might be a Goondie after all.

Thanks for the input folks
ambling
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment