Remote canister gas stove suggestions for dry baking

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Remote canister gas stove suggestions for dry baking

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 7:16 pm

I have been dry baking for a few years now and fairly happy with my technique.
I changed to using a cheapie remote canister stove(D Power)about a year ago after using a canister top stove before then. This does a fantastic job but the perforated shroud is now falling apart and affecting the consistency of the flame which is critical at the required low heat.
I have been thinking about getting a kovea spider mainly because of flatcat gear videos. My other thought is just replace the Dpower every year which are around A$15.
Any other suggestions or thoughts please?
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Remote canister gas stove suggestions for dry baking

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 7:20 pm

I highly recommend the Spider.

Roger Caffin will chime in I'm sure. He's the guy to ask. He has made stoves himself and has been selling a bunch of all types of manufactured stoves in the market square section of this forum. Just scroll down there and you'll come across his stoves for sale if you want to get in touch with him.

Cheers,

Pete
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 10:48 am

Petew wrote:I highly recommend the Spider.

Roger Caffin will chime in I'm sure. He's the guy to ask. He has made stoves himself and has been selling a bunch of all types of manufactured stoves in the market square section of this forum. Just scroll down there and you'll come across his stoves for sale if you want to get in touch with him.

Cheers,

Pete
Do you find that the spider loses power over time? I've been finding after losing full pressure, even when inverting the canister i need to shake the canister to get a proper burn...
Huntsman247

Postby Petew » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 4:57 pm

Mine is still good. Maybe the jet has some gunge in it?

Inverting the cannister a lot will over time makes the stove prone to clogging cos o bits of crap in the cannisters.
Petew

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 7:02 pm

I was wondering apart from cold weather use if there was any other advantage in inverting the canister ?
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 30 Oct, 2019 8:56 am

I've been using a Spider for several years now - Actually, mine is the Moonwalker. Sorry for any confusion.

No complaints, no loss of power. I've not tried dry baking though.

I have done cannister inversion a few times, but only in very cold conditions. Supposedly the other advantage is that you get a better mix of fuel when inverted. There are two gasses in most of those cannisters, and one of them evaporates quicker than the other, so when used upright, it gets used quicker than the other leaving the gas mix less optimal towards the end of the cannister. But when used in liquid feed (upside down), they both feed through evenly. I don't bother with it when it's not super cold, as adjusting the temperature in liquid feed mode is a bit more finicky.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Thu 31 Oct, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 30 Oct, 2019 7:10 pm

Petew wrote:Mine is still good. Maybe the jet has some gunge in it?

Inverting the cannister a lot will over time makes the stove prone to clogging cos o bits of crap in the cannisters.
Hmmm.... I'll have to check. How would you go about cleaning it?
Huntsman247

Postby Petew » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 8:48 am

Could be as simple as poking a pricked through the hole in the jet. An MDR pricked might do the job.
Petew

Postby Petew » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 8:51 am

Petew

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 06 Nov, 2019 11:28 am

I have found a titanium version of the D Power which is a Fire Maple FMS-117T (I read the Dpower is a cheap knock off) and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the longevity of the titanium burner head as that is what failed on the D Power. I really do like the burner size on these stoves which is ideal for my application
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Thu 07 Nov, 2019 6:47 pm

I have an fms-117t and a couple of fms-118 burners (which have the same flame spreader as the 117t but have a pre-heat loop which the 117t does not have).

Although none of the flame spreaders have had any burn-through, one did begin to split around the edge, after a few years use, causing it to use more gas and become quite noisy. Nonetheless, I'd recommend them.

The 117t does not have a piezo ignition (a good thing imo) nor a pre-heat loop (so you can't invert the canister) - weighs 99g

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Thu 07 Nov, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks bernieq, sounds like the fms 117t could be the go for me as a pre heat tube is not necessary for my summer hiking.I don't see it failing after a few years use as a big issue but hopefully that won't happen and the best way to find out is to try one.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Sat 09 Nov, 2019 12:53 am

Hey MeanderingFlyFisher.

I have the Dpower as well and have used it for a number of years. I also have the original FMS117 (although I think I might have on sold it already), a titanium FMS117t and the FMS118 with the preheat tube (which sits at a strange angle IMHO).

I think about 2 years or more back a mate had an issue with his FMS117t. The valve was faulty. I believe others here have also seen this issue on their FMS117/t units. So he gave it to me to have a look and compare with my unit.

I couldn't find a fix but he donated it to me for parts. So I cannibalised it to use the FMS117t burner head and titanium struts with my Dpower unit (maintaining the piezo ignited, base, hose and valve from the Dpower). I wanted to use the Dpower's piezo igniter on my FMS117t but it doesn't fit on the base stem. I like the handy piezo igniter. I think the weight of my hybrid is around 110g.

I have now been using for a couple of years and some overseas trips. Took it to the Azores last year for some camping and hiking across the islands and this year it accompanied me to the Caucasus mountains in Georgia.

I'm still away but when I get back I'll post pics of my FMS117t/DPOWER abomination. I am pretty sure I still have the original Dpower burner head somewhere. You are welcome to it if that helps!
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Thu 14 Nov, 2019 7:29 pm

Apologies as I forgot about this topic because I ordered a fms 117t last Friday which turned up nice and quick yesterday. The fire maple is a lot better quality and I fired them up side by side tonight and even looks a more stable flame. Certainly looks the goods an will see how it goes dry baking when I get a chance. Thanks for everybody’s input.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment