Advice from single wall tent users in SEQ

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Advice from single wall tent users in SEQ

Postby coimon » Wed 16 Oct, 2019 8:24 pm

Subject line pretty much sums it up - I'd like to hear from people who have a decent amount of experience using single wall tents in South East Queensland, particularly in terms of condensation.

I understand the benefits / disbenefits of single and double wall, the importance of site selection, role of ventilation and manner of pitching, the cause and fact of condensation as an unavoidable fact of life etc. The knowledge I don't have is actually using a single wall tent around the Scenic Rim and how it plays with our seasons and often humid climate. How bad does it get?

Thanks!
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Advice from single wall tent users in SEQ

Postby Kurisu » Thu 17 Oct, 2019 8:15 pm

Hey mate.

I don't know if I count for a decent amount of experience, but I have half a dozen trips in my Big Agnes Scout UL 2 in SEQ, and two nights in my new Nemo Apollo.

Two nights in Girraween in winter saw a bit of condensation in the Scout in cool/cold conditions, but not enough to drip or be a problem, really. A couple of humid, rainy November nights up Nebo & England Creek way were about the same, if not better. My overnighters around Briz in this tent have been fine - no trouble at all. A rainy night at Harry's Hut last December was also ok - can't remember any condensation.

The Nemo Apollo pyramid-ish floorless tarp hasn't had any, but it's only been two cool, dry nights so far (about a month ago). It does seem to have better ventilation than the Scout, so I think it'll have less condensation. Time will tell, I guess.

I know it's not much, but hope this helps. Not sure how many single-wall, tarp or pyramid users there are up here, I've mostly only ever seen very traditional setups.

Cheers,
Chris
Kurisu
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Advice from single wall tent users in SEQ

Postby coimon » Thu 17 Oct, 2019 9:05 pm

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for Chris, thank you.

Would still like to hear from anyone else with relevant experience, the more input the better before I decide one way or another about dropping a sickening amount of cash on a single wall DCF setup :shock: :lol:

Might have been better (cross)posted in the Queensland section perhaps...
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to Equipment