Cheap wool socks

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Cheap wool socks

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 8:03 pm

So I was in kmart the other day and happened to notice that they sold wool socks as I walked past.
They are a wool blend of unspecified amounts of Acrylic/wool/nylon/elastane. At 12 bucks for 3 pairs I thought it wouldn't hurt to try them.
I'm rather surprised at how comfy they are. Although i haven't worn them on a multi-day walk yet, they seem pretty good even after a few days.
I dare say that they feel very similar to my Bridgedale socks.

If anyone is keen to give them a go I found them online.
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/3-pack ... uUQAvD_BwE
But instore they are branded as 'anko'.ImageImageImage
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cheap wool socks

Postby peregrinator » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 9:21 am

I bought some cheap socks from Aldi that are very similar in composition to these. They did not hold their shape for very long. Quickly became over-stretched, developed holes and became useless. I hope yours don't suffer that fate.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 4:55 pm

peregrinator wrote:I bought some cheap socks from Aldi that are very similar in composition to these. They did not hold their shape for very long. Quickly became over-stretched, developed holes and became useless. I hope yours don't suffer that fate.
So far they seem to keep their shape quite well. For a few bucks what can go wrong?
Huntsman247

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 07 Oct, 2019 9:24 am

In winter I carry a pair of wool socks just for sleeping.
These look like they'd be perfect.
ChrisJHC

Postby BirchallOutdoors » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 9:49 am

I bought these. They were okay at first, comfortable as any new pair of socks. Then I got one caught on a splintered piece of skirting board at home. It pulled a thread and one sock suddenly had a hole the size of a 50c piece. I decided that I don’t want that happening out in the bush so I bought some mountain design merino wool/elastase/nylon blend socks. They use around 70% wool which I’m happy with. I also have the Aldi wool hiking socks and I believe they’re thicker and considerably more durable than the Kmart ones.
BirchallOutdoors
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment